Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Housing

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Lan

Lan

Criminal Mongbat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
With all the new space opening up due to a less of a player base, I think UO should allow people to have two houses per account. But! There would be stipulations!

1. In order to own two houses, they both must be customizable.
2. In order to own two houses, the size of both houses must not exceed 18x18. (i.e. Two 9x9's or One 7x7 and one 11x11)

This would allow people, such as roleplayers for example, to have one place to use for their RP character, and another for when they want to be OOC and away from others. Perhaps also to be used for player towns and such.

Just an idea..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
18x18 = 324

9x9= 81
81x2= 162

So not quite the same if you just count tiles.

There is already a multi-house system in place, it's called pay twice as much for multiple accounts and EA likes that system just fine, lol.

In some ways, I wish they'd decay houses of people who have been gone more than 9 or 12 months. We are essentially out of land in our town on Chesapeake altho new people want to move in. There are tons of houses from people we've *never* seen or who we know quit years and years ago.

I know the IDOC'ers will hate this idea, but when a house drops, perhaps all the contents go into the inactive player's bankbox, similar to a moving crate. It could be opened and perused, but nothing taken out til the player places a new plot. EA wants those inactive players to keep their stuff because they have this hope they'll come back someday for one of those Free Weeks and would be less motivated if they had nothing to come back to.

Another idea is instead of everything dropping to the ground it all goes into some sort of automated auction system, which would also serve as a gold sink. As a former IDOC'er, there seem to be far more cheaters and scripters at IDOC's than any pvp, lol

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

zanku

zanku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Tancred, you hit the nail on the head with a blacksmith hammer. That's a great (super) idea. If a house has been vacant for more then 1 anniversaruy year, then "BANK" their stuff and delete the house. Not IDOC it, just put their stuff in a "Holding" box for that player and eliminate their house. AND - YES/. As you already know, I can't invite that many to my community of Nidaros BECAUSE.....I have houses everywhere that people who live their have not seen their neighbors in years and they know for a FACT that they have been inactive for years. Maybe this is something you can forward to the Devs or those parties who have control on this type of problem, for some serious consideration. Lets hope they hear you.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
lol, my dog doesnt even listen to me

well, except when he's hungry :)

---

Ashlarrr

Ashlarrr

Myconid Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
I think it's a bit unfair to delete the houses of people who haven't been playing but are still paying their subscription. They are entitled to what they pay for. I suspect most of the people who do have an account still paid for intend to return at some point, otherwise they wouldn't keep the account open. And who knows what is happening in their life.
Implementing that suggestion gives people no incentive to retain their accounts (and would also lead to a drop in subscriptions for EA so it's not gonna happen =P).
Typesetter and Reporter for the PaxLair Times.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Don't get me wrong, I meant the inactive people who don't pay. Anyone who pays should always get to keep their house always whether they log in or not.

---

Ashlarrr

Ashlarrr

Myconid Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
Houses on unpaid accounts should collapse after 90 days or at least that's how it used to be (I think there needs to be a couple of months grace period for people like me who occasionally run short of money some months when big bills come in!).

zanku

zanku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
ouch....... :)...didn't mean to start anything. Ash, you make a good point. Didn't mean that eliminate all those that no one saw. but what tancred had said in his 2nd statement. Whew......just trying to look for more ground from houses that should have fallen.....Boy....this place is dangerous...lol

Ashlarrr

Ashlarrr

Myconid Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
Oh, I didn't mean to sound confrontational, oops. =P I agree that housing on unpaid accounts should fall and as far as I know it does after 90 days. If it doesn't then something is broken somewhere.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
My understanding is that if people have an account, then cancel it, the house will fall 90 days later. However, really old accounts, in which the player logged into it during one of the annual free weeks, do not decay. At least, this has been the practice the past few years(usually around whenever an expansion is released). My post says they should end this practice. Either the people are coming back or theyre not, so quit wasting housing space.

---

Robert Falcon

Robert Falcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Another issue is all the empty plots! Player that have plopped down an 18 x 18 and then built nothing on it? There are several on Great Lakes like that, from 7 x 7 all the way up to 18 x 18. Should be a use it or lose it policy. Just within my guilds area I can count 7 empty plots, never had a thing built on them, you can walk around on top of them. They have been this way for at least 3 years that I know of!

I’m a role-player with 5 accounts, each serves a purpose and has something built on it.

1. Primary Home
2. An Inn
3. A Hospital
4. A Workshop for all crafting skills
5. A Nursery for growing plants for deco, dyes, and seeds of renewal.

There are many others that wish to place homes in our guild but can’t simply because of empty plots, or the wayward rock or tree.

Which brings be to another subject. We should be able to place anywhere except spawn sites, when a home is built; the settlers cleared the land and use the resources to build the house. In game, if you want to build a home on a plot of rough ground, it should cost more.

Also if you want to see PvP pick up some, clear the land of all those dead trees, tombstone and other what not, to allow more homes. The scripters run right though them anyway. Open it up and let the fighters move in!

Anyway that’s my 2 cents worth!

Ashlarrr

Ashlarrr

Myconid Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
But then you'd get keeps and castles as far as the eye can see, a sorta medieval shadowrun-esque sprawl! And would the trees "grow" back after the plot fell? Otherwise we could see mass deforestation of Britannia or something.

I sorta like the spaces dedicated to housing thing. I particularly like the housing in Zento. I'd like to see more trails and roads and gardens around houses in that sort of way.

One thing I think is needed and I recall mentioning it in alliance chat once, is a mail box that comes with the house, that can be placed by accessing the house sign. Because it is annoying when people don't have one and I want to drop something off!
It can even look different from the anniversary one so that they maintain some sort of "rarity". Maybe a few different styles to pick from.

Robert Falcon

Robert Falcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes when a house falls the area should return back to its natural look.
As Zento, its becoming a mini luna on Great Lakes, which is sad hurts guilds that which to play a Tokuno based because of the lack of housing, almost every home there as vendors on it.

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
I think the Devs planned on Zento becoming like a mini luna when they designed it. Sucks... I really miss going to the bank and seeing a full time merchant gating to his large tower full of vendors...Anyone remember Treasure Trove on atl...loved that place...sad :(

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Vendor cities like Luna are just ugly pieces of crap selling massively overpriced items. It would be nice if the players there would at least put some efford into their shops to look nice.
Zento is great, and on Europa there are quite nice player houses there.

Citizen Office of Vesper
Europa Roleplay

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
I meant it was built so more people could have a house in the "prime real estate" area. It didnt take off like luna did though.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Maybe the next time they create an NPC town with blocks of land for housing they will add in a no-vendor zone feature.

---

Ashlarrr

Ashlarrr

Myconid Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
If you look on some shards though, a lot of people modeled their housing to fit the style of Zento and the place looks great. It's like the aesthetic of the city itself encouraged people to do so.

That's not the case with Luna and I think that's because it doesn't really have much of an identity. It's like a mini-mall surrounded by a curtain wall.

Robert Falcon

Robert Falcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Vendor cities like Luna are just ugly pieces of crap selling massively overpriced items. It would be nice if the players there would at least put some efford into their shops to look nice.
Zento is great, and on Europa there are quite nice player houses there.

Well I agree with the Luna statement, and I'm glad to see not all shards have the same issues.