Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Advice a newb :)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Caleb

Caleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok... I´m not so newb but anyway. I played from ´99 - ´2007 and then took a pause. I used to pvp alot so that´s what I want to do in the future. My char that I used back then was :

Eval 120
Fencing 120
Magery 120
Med 120
Poisoning 100
Resist 120
focus 20

So the question is tha is this template totally stupid and worthless? How can one fight with this anymore? What would be the best gear if money is not the problem?

If you can help me to change the template or give ideas what gear to ge I would be very happy.

Thanks in advance.

liquidsmoke

liquidsmoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
The tactics patch requires all weapon specials to have tactics and weapon skill of 70 and 90 respectivly. You can no longer Armor Ignore with a kryss or Disarm/Bleed with a warfork unless you pick up tactics. Poisoning, Stealth and Wrestling are not subject to this rule. Infectious Strike special can be done as long as fencing is at 70 or 90 or higher, depending on the whether or not it is the primary or secondary ability. Stealth gets the shadow strike special and wrestle does not require tactics. With your current set up of 120 fencing and 100 poisoning (dont need 100 but I wont say turn it down to 80), you can use any infecting weapon for fencing and shank.
Poisoning is hit or miss these days, as 95% of people chug potions and poison is a minor nusiance to those who do chug. As for poison fields, with the introduction of mystism, you can run a form that makes you immune to all levels of poison (requires you be on foot however) and you get a heal that can heal threw poison/cure poison as it heals. So poison fields dont do a whole lot.

In short poison is nerfed.

The strongest mage option currently is mystic. Spell plauge is ridiculously overpowered, along with a heal that cures and removes curses at the same time, a 300 hit point healing stone that heals like a greater heal as a potion, and an instant cast boulder spell. Sleep, and nether bolt are also very useful. The common tactic for a mage fight these days is to spam magic arrow, nether bolt until you can cast a spell plauge and resume casting magic arrow nether bolt to finish with a spell trigger bombard. All this can occur very fast and leads to quick kills.
As for a template regarding mystic that is preference, it works well for mages and dexxers. A common template is 120 mystic/focus/magery/eval/resist/med. However with focus being the "eval" of mystic it opens up a lot of room for customization, I choose to run a little bit of spellweaving on mine, while others choose necromancy and drop meditation down. Some choose to drop resist and run taming with it. As for a dexxer version of a mystic, archers choose to run the Yumi bow with double shot and spell plauge, and others choose bushido and use nerve strike and spell plauge.

Basically anything to get spell plauge to keep triggering=win these days.

As for a suit, with imbue you can get a perfect suit rather easily and if you go faction it gets even better. The biggest thing that is different from a few years ago, at least where I had played, is the mage weapon. Most mages run a crystalline ring/+15 magery ring w/ +5 magery talismen and use a -20 mage penalty weapon. This gives 1 handed 120 defense which allows for pot chugging. It's using a staff of the magi but chugging with it. The disarm is the counter to this and if you run a mage weapon you WILL get disarmed. Disarm Archers are popular, they disarm the weapon and shoot you in the back as you run away.

Due to the way mysticism's heal works most necromancy spells have been made ineffective. It removes curses as it heals and cures, so strangle, corpse skin, curse etc come off as the mystic heals making them very powerful. Also mysticism adds a nice utility spell called purge magic, which can be used to take away any buff another player may have. Most common is protection, however it works against spellweaving and is crucial in killing a mystic who goes protection/cleansing winds since he is almost untouchable like this. Mortal is the only special that will slow a mystic down, and if you get 2-3 mystics cross healing someone they are not going to die. Oh I forgot to add that cleansing winds heals a group as well, so not only does the guy you are attacking get healed but so does his fellow cross healers.

Gear wise, the mage weapon stacked with defense chance increase and high hit point increase along with the usual mr/lmc/lrc/sdi @ 15 will be what you want. As I said with imbue this is not hard to achieve.

Hope this helps a little bit, I have heard rumors that mysticism is going to get nerfed, but for right now it is the ONLY way to pvp.

**I forgot to add that if you do mysticism you HAVE to do 120, it is based against resist spell for the most part, and the good spell triggers need 120 mystic**

Caleb

Caleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Wow!

Can´t thank you enough Liquid. This helps me alot. But all in all pvp doesn´t seem to be alot of fun since it´s AGAIN focused on certain skills. If you don´t use them you will have hard time (Mysticism...).

I have anyway started training one mystic.. and started gearing up.

one more thing. My red has these skills:

wrestle 120
spririt 120
magery 120
med 100
necro 105
resist 120
focus 50
med 100

ofc with some gear.

would you drop something again for mystic that the template would be playable?

I just want back the days when I could use a parry macer which everyone hated :P

liquidsmoke

liquidsmoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
im assuimg you have eval.. im a little confused here you listed meditation twice, but because of mystic having focus as the eval... as necro has spiritspeak... it opens up a lot of room for differnt skills because you can get around not having med, or having low med. I personally am a mana hog so i like to have at least 60 med along with 120 focus, but it depends on your play style and who you play with. I play with a lot of dexxers and so im usually one of the only ones who can field, making me running the low med harder.

Also the necro side of templates is being used for wraith form mostly, you can use items and or a little bit of necro to get into wraith and simply use purge magic to get out of form quickly for a fight. Then with hailstorm and a slayer book you can do massive damage to spawn and usually leech enough to be ok. Some guys fit spiritspeak onto the template for another way to heal and for use of bloodoath,pain spike and corpseskin.

I highly suggest running 120 resist but some guys drop that and run a mystic necro mage and become highly offensive. If i see this type of template I will mana vampire and take there mana away, and also spam poisons and pain spikes hurt more, etc.

A lot of people I know are getting extremely frustrated when fighting mystic and are quitting or taking breaks. I don't like the idea of being forced into a template due to the counter only being threw a certain set of skills. A mystic in protection is almost impossible to kill, even more so when on foot in stone form, and the only way around it is purge magic, or to get lucky with a ward removal talismen. However non of that really matters when you get spell plauged 5 times and just insta die. I enjoyed necro mages for a long time, but when it got boring you could still be competitive with a pure mage, it made it harder for sure but it was still doable. With mystic your screwed unless you are a mystic and that is really sad because it makes so many templates obsolete. The nerf will come eventually I just hope it isn't too late. There is a guy in particular who has played since beta and he is about to quit..it makes me sad to think about it because he has been able to adapt and play threw so much but now he had hit a wall and no longer wants to try or has decided it's not worthwhile anymore.
The tactics patch made it extremely hard for mages with weapon skills and for chiv dexxers but it was still playable, as i said this mystic crap is just way to strong to fight against with anything other then a gank or another mystic
Between faction arties, imbue and mysticism I just don't see pvp surviving much longer. People are either going to jump on board and play it or quit. The 1 v 1 days are pretty much gone, rarely does anyone even attempt to 1 v 1 , its all about a lure into a gank or running around 20 deep spamming spell plauges and dismounts. Everyone is so afraid to die due to stat loss and the days of fighting for the sake of the fight seem to be gone. It's all about winning now and nothing else. But these are my views on it, I hope you form your own opinion and hopefully see it differntly then i do.
At any rate welcome back.