Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Welcome...to the Shard of the Dead!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Are you looking for a nonstop banquet of open-world player versus player mayhem? Do you have what it takes to hold onto what’s yours with an iron grip while assassinating your fellow Britannians and laughing at their ghosts? Are you looking for a real challenge, taking on your fellow Sosarians in an epic battle for PvP bragging rights?

Well then, make your reservations now! This Halloween, the Ultima Team is proud to bring you the latest in murder and mayhem vacation technology in our revamped resort destination, the Shard of the Dead! In this ultimate retreat from the mortal coil, our guests are encouraged to stick a knife in the back of anyone they can, and to enjoy the lovely grayscale view while spending time as a ghost.
Our resort amenities include:

• All town guards except the ones in Britain have been sent on holiday
  • Dark Towers of Death guarded by hordes of undead minions
  • Glass Swords of Shattering, for one-shot smackdown fun!
  • Accelerated skill and stat gain and one Advanced Character Token per guest
  • Permanent worldwide darkness, as we’ve banished the sun!
  • Kill and death stat tracking. How many can YOU slay?
If this sounds like your idea of fun, then look for Shard of the Dead (SOTD) on the UO server list, log in, and let your inner rabid monster come out and play. Some important notes:

• Shard of the Dead will only run through December to give you a taste of the mayhem.
  • Test Center giveaways and commands are disabled – you start with minimal gold and gear!
  • There are no item insurance or blessings (except spellbooks and runebooks)
  • Dark Towers are near the Virtue Shrines
  • To get a Glass Sword, stand atop a Tower and survive for 30 seconds!
  • Gold in most monster loot drops has been doubled
  • It’s all in good fun, so enjoy it!
This is a taste of gameplay not seen in UO for some time. Enjoy and we hope to slay you there...Muahahahaha!

More...

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
This is great, altho I wish they'd spent more time getting High Seas bug-free first before messing with this.

I think, in a way, this may also finally either vindicate or kill the classic shard idea.

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Thought this is a yearly out of the box shard they hide under the desk till halloween ;)

Citizen Office of Vesper
Europa Roleplay

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
There is nothing "Classic" about shard of the dead.

Meaning, they just took current rules and took out a few facets. There's still AoS stuff, skills, etc (all the way up to SE, but if you choose "gargoyle" as starting race, it makes you human and there's no mysticism scrolls or soul forges...)

So while its interesting, it isn't a gauge of how a classic shard would look or feel.

That being said, I already have my spell book near complete and will work on my characters tomorrow. But I feel my ninja will get the most play-time.
Posted Image

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Yeah, I think what they mean is, it's a test of how popular a "PVP-only" shard would be, that is, like pre-renaissance was.

Basically, if everyone plays it for a week, then it dies, well, they'll know that a classic shard would go the same way.

Tanivar

Tanivar

Craftaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
Apparently whoever set this thing up paid no more attention to the two long Classic Shard threads that ran a long time on Stratics other than to find out what would make it fail to draw a crowd.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Moving forward is a Good Thing, but EA needs to consider they've made a wrong turn somewhere and are not going the right way. The route they are taking is shedding Customers and not picking up many new ones.

What that one or more wrong turns were is something they have to dig into their records, look at the competition, and figure out to get back to moving forward on the path to more Customers coming in than are leaving. Can they do it, or is our destiny to be playing on free-shards?

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Yeah, I think what they mean is, it's a test of how popular a "PVP-only" shard would be, that is, like pre-renaissance was.

Basically, if everyone plays it for a week, then it dies, well, they'll know that a classic shard would go the same way.

And that... is faulty logic.

Now the ones who want the PvP shard with classic rules has to play the PvP shard with no reward (it's shutting down in a month or two) and modern rules.

In the book, "Battlefield Earth", by L. Ron Hubbard, there's a scene where the villain has captured the main character, but doesn't know what humans eat or how they drink. So after starving the main character for a while, he gives our hero filthy water and live rats to see what he does. Naturally, the hero has to eat the rats and drink the water or die.

Right now, the "Classic" PvP shard feels something like that... with less disastrous consequences for us, of course.
Posted Image

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Nah, just a annual Halloween fun shard ;)

Citizen Office of Vesper
Europa Roleplay

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Apparently whoever set this thing up paid no more attention to the two long Classic Shard threads that ran a long time on Stratics other than to find out what would make it fail to draw a crowd.

This is a test classic shard to see how much interest there is in a real one. The developers didn't spend a lot of time on changes to make it classic because they won't devote the effort until they know players actually want a classic shard.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
Fact is that most of the people who play UO today weren't here for the game back then, so most of them don't even know what a classic shard would really entail. The novelty will wear off quickly for those UO players who came here from Asheron's Call or WoW or EQ or whatever. I'd honestly be very surprised if a classic shard had even half the regular playerbase of Siege after six months of existence.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

Won this title in a raffle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Can you be ressed?

Yelena

Yelena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
i played it for a few hours... but after a while it got old and boring and i when back to a normal shard and pvp there

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Death comes in so meny forms and I know quite a few of them....http://img204.imageshack.us/i/yelenasig.jpg/

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I think if this was soley for fun they would have left the test center commands and resources in. Who wants to grind skills and gear up the hard way if the thing is going away in a matter of weeks, and esp when they can pretty much do the same stuff on TC or Siege(different ends of the spectrum)? The only draw I see here is playing with the glass sword, but that might get old after a short while.

---

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Well I just logged in so I could go after a screenshot of one of the glass swords.

Just wandering around Britain, already found a blue corpse, waited for no one to be around, looted it's gold and bandages, then stealthed off before the owner came back for it, ah the good ol' days :)

Also, the advanced char template you get when you login sets your skills to GM, not 80ish like the tokens.

---

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts

To get a Glass Sword, stand atop a Tower and survive for 30 seconds!

What exactly do you have to survive?

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Im assuming other players trying to kill you, the undead spawn or some of both.

---

Mr Williams

Mr Williams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All,

Whilst I'm extremely glad that the UO team are currently considering the construction of a classic shard, I don't think that the usage of this shard alone can be used as a benchmark for demand. It is clear from the plethora of free classic shards out there that demand is high, furthermore, it should not be misunderstood that all that classic shard users are interested in is PVP. As many users play these shards to enjoy the pre-aos armour and weapons systems. The PVP element provides an excitiing back drop within which a wide variety of play styles can flourish.

Please don't judge the demand from this shard alone, as this shard is far removed from classic UO.

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

What exactly do you have to survive?

not dying should be enough. :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Sorcon

Sorcon

Memory Loss Crusade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
MMO-Verdict.com has some continuing coverage of Shard of the Dead.

Ultima Online: Shard of the Dead | MMO-Verdict.com

Ultima Online: Shard of the Dead, Day 2 | MMO-Verdict.com

Ultima Online Shard of the Dead, Day 3 | MMO-Verdict.com

I agree that this is not a traditional classic PVP shard, but EA is just trying to get a feel for what a classic shard would do, mainly to get an idea how a PVP shard would be taken.

I know you can argue Siege Perilous, but that is really not the same as having a shard dedicated to PVP where you can have multiple characters on one account. Siege Perilous is more of a "hardcore" shard.
http://mmo-verdict.com
Your source for continuing coverage of MMO games and the latest industry news.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Say they remove the account restrictions of number of characters on Siege, would that "count"? I just get this feeling they keep chasing this elusive idea of what will suddenly draw in droves of pvp players. They messed with factions through 2008 and half of 2009, now theyre about to mess with it again and pare off CoM. Not to mention, there's champ spawn action on prod shards already.

---