Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Customized Sailing Ships

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
(plz notice, this did NOT go in the Ask The Devs forum)

People are loving the new ships in UO. However, aside from painting them, which is friggin expensive and goes away if you dry dock it, there is no real way to improve or customize your boat.

Like most any other game where you have some sort of ship(even space-theme games), there should be ways to trick out your ship. This would really let people have something to carefully craft and grow attached to, just like their homes or all that neon crap they wear.

Ideas:
Decorative
Anchor
Anchor chains
Running lights/lanterns -green and red, for starboard and port
Ram/Prow
Colored or different style sails
Mountable bow figureheads - craftable/colorable in a variety of styles
Ensigns - so players can fly a flag off their stern (or pennant on topmast) for rp or whatever reasons, make the jolly roger a super-rare drop, lol, but player-towns would likely love to have one that matches their housesign design. Maybe let all ships come with a basic white flag for surrendering, ARRR!

Functional
Additional planking- gives more boat hitpoints or armor but slower speed
Shaved keel - less armor, more speed
Pivot gun - rail mounted "mini-cannon" for targetting specific people or creatures rather than hoping they get caught in a broadside
Trawling nets - some sort of expensive or difficult type of net that is used behind a ship and towed for a distance to catch a bunch of fish at once
Cannonball stacks - goes on deck, so people don't have to run for the hold in battle, or the crew being screwed when the person holding everything dies during a fight

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,647 posts
I like these idea, but I didn't notice my paint job diminishing when I dry docked. I did just have my oldest ship lose it's coat of paint and had to repaint it after about two weeks real time of being on the ocean.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Ah, perhaps there's a time limit on it? I only dry-docked my ship once, a few days ago, since launch so I could sail Felucca.

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.