Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Mysticism - whats the purpose?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Im considering breaking down and working up Imbuing. After 120'ing Blacksmithing two years ago, I told myself never again with craft skills, but some of the weapons you can create are just incredible, but I digress.

I started looking at what Mysticism can do and such, and my question is how is it better or more efficient than good ol' Magery?

It's got it's instant-direct damage spell, it's AoE spell, debuff, healing, it's timed-delay damage spell, etc. and all that, but far less overall than Magery, so what's the point?

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Cleansing winds cures poisons, removes most curses and heals as much as greater heal, at the cost of an extra bit of casting time (Thus easily interrupted).

Spell Plague is an incredible killer when used well. And if not, people will use it again. And again.

Spell trigger can hold a bombard, which is a great instant damage spell.

Healing stone can almost replace healing potions.

Rising colossus lives up to its name. One of those can outdamage two energy vortexes.

If mysticism had a ressurection and travel spell, one could wonder what the point of magery is. (But the variety of magery makes it a pretty much mandatory skill)
Posted Image

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Thank you, as usual Farsight provides excellent insight :)

So sounds like it's a good supplementary magic to Magery for pvm as opposed to with Necro for pvp or Spellweaving for rp? *chuckle*

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
The UHall types have been saying Mysticism is overpowered in PvP. Personally, I don't PvP :)

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
It is very strong in PvP. Mystic/Mage has been the top PvP template for months now. they're not invincible, but probably the strongest overall PvP template right now.

There's also the bokuto mystic, a template that effectively only does one combo: spell plague + nerve strike. Pretty lame but unfortunalety also pretty deadly.

Playing on Drachenfels? Speaking German? Tired of exploring Sosaria alone?

Check us out: www.semperfidelis.de or sent me a pm

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
RC does pretty good damage in high-level PvM and is tougher to dispel than EV. Given enough patience and a wide-open field for running, a mystic treasure hunter can solo that last pesky AW guardian with just this summon (cast repeatedly).

I find Mysticism to be almost indispensible for solo-PvM now.

~M

Ashlarrr

Ashlarrr

Myconid Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
I don't really know the mechanical specifics, but I've been training it and I've seen it used (so just my opinion here). Some of the Aryslan folk and I were on the recieving end of a mystic-mage template, although I think there was a certain lack of preperation on our part too. Seemed pretty potent though!
Also, healing stone is instant use which is very nice. Cleansing Winds is also nice. Animated Weapon seems way better than Bees (nature's fury). Bombard is a nice spell but seems similar to energy bolt really (though I hear it can "stun" or something in PvP?).
Hail Storm seems like a targetable Wither (and I really like Wither). Rising Colossus is err, really nice. =P

In summary, it seems to have the offensive power and the healing that Magery has, though in slightly different ways. It just lacks the utility that magery has (ie: gate, recall, incognito, bless, poison, unlock, trap/untrap, etc etc).

Oh, Stone Form. I'm sure people more skilled than I know how to get the most out of it, but it seems a bit useless. It seems to be a melee focused form spell but mysticism requires empty hands to cast and isn't really a warrior friendly skill like Necromancy and Spellweaving are. It looks cool though!
Typesetter and Reporter for the PaxLair Times.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Stone form is an incredible spell!

Get two people together with the following templates:
Swords, tactics, healing, anatomy, mysticism, focus

Get demon slayer swords.
Cast stone form.
Two man kill literally anything.
5% may not seem like a lot, but the effect is huge. And immunity to poison, bleed and most curses is amazing.
Posted Image

Tanivar

Tanivar

Craftaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
I've found the Spell Plague/Rising Collossus combo with a throwing weapon to be very good at wearing down the hp on the high hp critters we have in game.

Spell Plague does damage when cast on a monster and has a chance to do more damage 3x in decreasing amounts over the next eight seconds in response to physical damage hits. Rising Collossus does physical damage attacks, as does a weapon.

I use it primarily on Highland Boura when gathering pelts for imbueing, but have also taken out a greater dragon with it. The GD was a very long process because it dispells the Collossus quickly, but it went down.

I agree, if Mysticism had resurrection and a travel spell, why have Magery. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Moving forward is a Good Thing, but EA needs to consider they've made a wrong turn somewhere and are not going the right way. The route they are taking is shedding Customers and not picking up many new ones.

What that one or more wrong turns were is something they have to dig into their records, look at the competition, and figure out to get back to moving forward on the path to more Customers coming in than are leaving. Can they do it, or is our destiny to be playing on free-shards?