Europa Silver Currency

The more regular players in our community may have noticed the recent influx of Silver coins into our RP community. This is an experiment we're trying at the moment to see if we can replace gold and use silver coins as RP currency.

The problem with gold is that it's pretty much unlimited, all you need to do is step off your doorstep smack a mongbat and suddenly you can pay for a round of ales at swaggers, gold really has no value. As a crafter of balanced armour i often have people come to me offering to pay millions for the best suit money can buy for their super millionaire army recruit, which really is just bad rp.

The idea behind using silver is that it will encourage people to put their characters to work again, you'll have to actually think twice before buying the most expensive drink the tavern has for everyone at the bar.

The silver currency system will hopefully give something back to those players like myself who have little interest in pvp and have been left behind for years while the community comes up with yet more rp pvp campaigns. Silver would be the driving force behind everything, if an army can't afford to pay the blacksmith for swords then they won't be going to war.

With our ever shrinking RP Community it is time to throw something new out there for players to play with. Silver would give everyone a purpose, crafters would actually be able to make a profit rather than literally giving their wares away, bandits would have motivation to rob people other than just for the sake of ganking someone.

Currently we've not really set any prices for goods, this will be for the seller to decide. In swaggers a basic watery ale will cost you just 1 silver coin, while on my alchemist i've been selling greater potions for 3 silver coins each (expect prices to rise ;) ) Again this is a great opportunity for everyone to use their imagination.

So far we've only a couple of basic rules for the use of Silver :

Silver shall not be traded/exchanged for gold.

Silver is lootable/stealable.

As you can see we're trying to keep the rules as simple and easy to use as possible.

This week Silver will distributed to every RP guild that has expressed an interest in taking part, this silver can given to the guilds members anyway in which the guild chooses, In vesper for example, ours will be distributed using our faction system, rather than just giving it away our players will have to earn it.

Sorry if this thread dosen't make a lot of sense i'm and work and rushing it ;)

Feel free to post any comments or Questions.

(Some) People will most likely start gathering silver by themselves in felucca on other characters. Do you see this as a future problem? In that case, what can we do to keep it from occurring?

Im sure it will happen.. Still silver will be alot more valuable than Gold.

Would be fun to open a bank now...

It takes a bit more organisation to transfer silver onto your RP char illegitimately than gold so hopefully there'll be more time for the shame to kick in and stop most people from doing it. There'll always be those without any sense of dignity who'll do it regardless but it'll probably be easier to spot them out and give them the cold shoulder than it would be with gold.

its all about moderation, i sell some of the silver i stock pile, but what i have given Yelena is only 400 silver coins, i am trying to come up with a way to make a pay system for the dot guards as well where they get a silver payment per month.... any help and suggestions would be helpful and to what amount i should give.... i want this to work and i don't want to mess it up

This is a wonderful concept! Encountered it for the first time in Swaggers and had it patiently explained to me by the generous barman.

Some questions:

i. Has the silver currency been adopted by all RP'ers?

ii. Are there yet enough players to make it a viable economy?

iii. Besides each players own sense of fair play, are there any controls to silver supply and inflationary conditions?

I can think of a few others, but most importantly I think the idea is superb and Devante deserves all RP'ers gratitude!!

Hey Fargo, thanks for the compliment.

Silver coins have been in circulation for about two weeks now, and most RP'ers seem to be coming round to the idea, naturally there are those that hate and resist change but i think on the whole it's proven quite popular. As far as i know all RP guilds are now involved in using it and they've been given a nice lump sum to help them start.

I'm not sure it's a viable economy as yet, it's still too new and hasn't really had time to circulate, and as yet i don't think we've distrubuted enough silver, so it's likely there will be another multi guild event to come where people can gather some coins and just give it a boost, though obviously we want to avoid giving out massive amounts at once, i'd rather feed it out a bit at a time.

Theres no controls over it as yet, it's still new and really we don't know how, or if, it will work and what problems might pop up.

We've allowed it to be stealable/lootable and i've had a few whiners complain about that, but it's just common sense not to carry all of your silver with you, just what you might need.

Not sure about how it's going with the other guilds at the moment but us at Swaggers are having fun kicking people out who can't afford drinks :)

I have just read with interest a couple of negative comments about the silver currency on the VTC board and it seems to me that not being able to afford something should apply equally IC as it does OOC!

I found it very amusing when I couldn't afford a glass of wine at the inn, IC I was intrigued and wished to know more.

I really do hope that this idea takes off as it is a fine example of someone using ingenuity to overcome UO game mechanics and create a little bit more realism into the RP world.

Make it a known, punishable IC offense to obtain silver using 'criminal' methods such as buying it off vendors and using OOC characters to harvest it.

Call it counterfeiting if you will. Who knows, it might even lead into an inspection commitee / police force who oversees such abuse. It's certainly not an incentive towards doing it when it's then stimulated to report people as well.

Either way, silver's a good idea.

I think indirect social pressure is the best way to stop cheaters. Those who are caught doing it or obviously have more silver than they would realistically have could just be treated in the same way we currently treat power emoters or those who bang on about how perfect their character is in their profile. People will want to cheat to increase their characters influence without actually going to any effort - if cheating makes your character a complete joke no one takes seriously, there's no point in doing it.

• 3 months later...

I really like this idea just came back to uo however it does mean a totally new rp er like I basically am will not be able to afford armour or anything is there a way to allow people like me to buy or exchange for a small amount 500 or so or would I need to work for a month before I can buy anything."

Being in the same boat (so to speak), I think I can field that one.

Up until now, other Veeties have offered basic things like armor and weapons for free.

For the things which you really need silver for (drinks, cannonballs, charges, drinks)... there are simple ways to earn silver. Though if you play fair, you won't be earning silver hand-over-fist, at least it will be coming in on a regular basis.

The easiest ways I've seen of gaining silver in VTC (remember, limited experience) is in collecting resources and selling them to the company.

The slowest way of gaining silver is in participating in adventures. I imagine that taking leadership roles in the same adventures will net more... but I'm not that far yet.

I take it back. The slowest way of gaining silver is in doing nothing (but we won't do that, right?).

I'm not sure which other groups work with the same currency, so I won't speak about anyone else outside of VTC.

I have a baker in Yew (a travelling one), who goes out into the (RP) world on occasion to earn some silver.

My main trouble is, RP chars rarely spare a few silvers to buy foods..heheh

That is, if I even run into them in the first place, so this guy is still without silver in hand pretty much, but he does try on occasion to get some.

Rebecca, Anira and myself are currently working on an easier pay system within VTC, we'll have more Mini jobs for people to do alone and payment for those attending major inter-guild events will be more worthwhile.

However, if we hand out 500 silver to every new character that comes along we'll quickly find ourselves running out of our silver reserves (which are a tad low), we'll also find ourselves inundated with 'new' characters that'll never be seen again.

So, i think no, to be blunt, use your imagination and find a way of earning it yourself like everyone else, Sorry to be harsh.

In the (recent) past in VTC when a genuine new rp'er has come along to join the guild I have 'loaned' them 30-50 silver to get them on their way, even then in half those cases i've never seen the character again.

If someone comes to join VTC i'll see what the circumstances are then decide. Giving starter silver really should be a guild decision rather than some set standard rule. I assume if you join someone like Grd i'm sure you get weapons and armour to start with anyway.

I think it also depends on your guilds structure and perspective. We “farm” our own resources and have our slaves make weapons, armour and any other equipment we might need. We use the silver for inter guild “trade” when we need to but in general we just take what we need without paying. Our attitude to silver is no different to that of gold.

In Yew I believe we have a rather unique way of dealing with the silver. Everyone who joins needs to create a "Bank Account" where all the silver you've been rewarded through completing tasks is recorded. Within the guild people can trade with this silver through bank account transfers. Wages are usually paid with IG silver at the end of them month but its rarely we use it for trading between the people IG, as most who earn it rather have it recorded in the bank accounts so they can make special purchases/raise in status.

If you're a guardsman, the equipment is provided to you. All equipment is usually made by craftsmen/guardsmen in the regular Quotas. Where they also can earn some silver. Guardsmen usually earn it by preforming guardsmen orders and doing reports.

Can't say I've seen any actual "trade" with silver between guilds, most guilds seems self sufficiant. Which have pretty much destroyed the use of silver in trade.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys...

I've pretty much skipped to the end, as its almost 2am... so not sure if anyone has already suggested this...

But.. Has anyone thought about asking the EMs if they could introduce a guild based currency system that would be governed and controlled centrally by some kind of RP bank?

It would be alot of work, i know... but its something that i think would completely revolutionise RP.

I know there are bronze coins within the game dynamics, which obviously arn't being used. and it could be made non-tradable outside of a specific set of guilds (even an option on guild creation like the old order/chaos but RP/Non RP.)

It would need to be governed to say only have X amount in circulation at any one time, so as not to end up with the same screwed up economy as gold.

What are peoples thoughts? Or am i just a rambling tired guy? :)

Jer.

As I've said elsewhere, the more of our creativity and originality we surrender to the EMs the more we might as well just all !!!! off, don neons and go farm monsters.

Even if they do have our best interests at heart, the EMs time is bound by the need to entertain the majority of UO's remaining players - most of whom aren't roleplayers.

They've made it perfectly clear, time and time again, they don't have the time or the inclination to completely learn the ways of our community. Besides, whatever's wrong with just doing things ourselves? There's plenty of creative people left playing the game - why not put it in to action? If you want to create a central bank for silver, do so. Get in contact with the GMs and consult with them if you need their assistance.

Off topic but going on from what Shali says, as much as I like the EMs and have enjoyed many of their events; in terms of us as a community they've really caused more harm then good. We very rarely have interguild activities any more and I do in part blame that on EM events, too many times events have been scheduled across guilds, from battles to markets to games nights and an EM event pops up the day before (or even the hour before!) and people drop out, which is fine for individuals and doesn't harm any guild but it does seriously damage the community. You can't predict who might show up any more and many people just aren't bothering.

Yes, there have been EM events that have sparked RP between guilds but generally speaking this building reliance on them isn't good for anyone.

One of the things we have done so far in the Severed Heads is to introduce a new concept, the Tribe Respect System. Those who have followed our progress so far on the Orc Public forums (alot of the info/design is on the Orc Private Boards, though we've tried to make it as public as we can), may of noticed a few similarities with other guilds systems. We had a look at lot of the current active guilds and their systems and worked from there.

Grd for example earn silver which they can spend on their upgrades, whereas Orc! earn Tribe Respect in the same way wich can be spent on upgrades. We are very keen to interact with the other rpg guilds, but not just mindless pvp. We are trying to come up with things to keep our members entertained, our latest venture is the new Klomp Pit :) As I mentioned earlier very briefly, we would be very open to interaction with other guilds. This could be with the Silver Currency system, our TSFB Campaign or many number of things.

Off topic but going on from what Shali says, as much as I like the EMs and have enjoyed many of their events; in terms of us as a community they've really caused more harm then good. We very rarely have interguild activities any more and I do in part blame that on EM events, too many times events have been scheduled across guilds, from battles to markets to games nights and an EM event pops up the day before (or even the hour before!) and people drop out, which is fine for individuals and doesn't harm any guild but it does seriously damage the community. You can't predict who might show up any more and many people just aren't bothering.

Yes, there have been EM events that have sparked RP between guilds but generally speaking this building reliance on them isn't good for anyone.

This is something I've felt for a very long time. I just rarely feel that many of the recent EM events, or actually any EM event post Casca being put off the throne, have been amusing at all. I always feel out of place when I bring my RP characters to gatherings of people who're mostly just interested in the unique items they could recieve. Or a dungeon crawl that's completely dependant on maxed out gear or/and dragons.

I've seen plenty examples of frustration from players that get their (at times longtime planned events) run over by an EM event. But I think its also our (the communitys) fault it's come to this. In the past I couldn't really care less if there was an EM event on the same day of an Community RP event. RPers came to the community RP event. That's just not the case anymore.

I just think that people in the community were more creative and daring when it comes to events and what direction their guilds should take. Compared to when the EM started to "take over".

(Sorry I know this have gone vastly off topic.)

As for silver, I just hope that we'll find some kind of guidelines for the whole community. Currently all guilds are doing it differently in regards to distribution and earning. So trading between them becomes complicated.

I would definately support a Reptuation system instead of silver when it comes to the races that cares little for money (Orcs, Llamas etc etc) and I like the idea a lot, great work team Orc. :)