Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Mage for new character

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Logain

Logain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
New player here, and wondering, if going Mage/Tamer is a good idea for a new player? I have the mage made and have:
Eval 67
Medi 92
Resist 77
Magery 58
Focus 100

and some other skills, and i seen on some post that its seems like a grand idea to be a mage/tamer or just pure mage?

Magery/Eval/Medi + Tame/Lore/Vet as mage/tamer

even advice on stats or what to do?

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
mage tamers are excellent characters to have, but it takes --FOREVER-- to get taming very high. A typical mage tamer would have 120 each in taming, lore, veterinary, magery, meditation, and resist.

But pure mages are great too. The template you've got right now is good, but you're going to want to drop the focus later on, to make room for a more useful skill like scribing or poisoning.

For a new player, unless you've got an advanced character token to use, I'd suggest sticking with either a pure mage or a necromage (add necromancy and spirit speak) for now, unless you want to take the time to work a tamer. They're worth it in the end, but I don't know if you want to spend two months grinding a single skill at this point
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Mage/Eval/Med/Taming/Lore/Vet.

That's me! And apart from the training time involved, it's a very powerful template for hunting alone and in groups.

But it does take pretty near forever to train. You can, if you powergame a lot, work up the rest of the skills in under a week, but taming... forever. And a day.

But...

If you have access to Ter Mur, you can get yourself a couple of lowland boura and have a veritable killing machine, just to get used to the controlling the tames part. And you can train up your veterinary skills and animal lore skills on those two guys.

And if you like it, you can train your skills up to get the big guns. And if you don't, you can focus on mysticism or necromancy for even more fun.
Posted Image

Yelena

Yelena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
for me i like weave and alch and wrestling on my mages....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Death comes in so meny forms and I know quite a few of them....http://img204.imageshack.us/i/yelenasig.jpg/

Afacanist

Afacanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
If you would like to play as a caster you should take a look at here http://www.uoforums....mageweaver.html

Afacanist

Afacanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
if you would like to play with a caster character you should take a look at here http://www.uoforums....mageweaver.html

Thumper

Thumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

mage tamers are excellent characters to have, but it takes --FOREVER-- to get taming very high. A typical mage tamer would have 120 each in taming, lore, veterinary, magery, meditation, and resist.

But pure mages are great too. The template you've got right now is good, but you're going to want to drop the focus later on, to make room for a more useful skill like scribing or poisoning.

I agree on the drop focus. I see where you are going with the scribe, poisoning, but that is really going towards pure mage/tamer. Tamer/mage would have the lore and vet. Lore is essential. Not to mention, the extra stable slots Stable - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Since you are not using an advanced char token, the best thing to do when starting a tamer (on my 4th one from scratch) is to basically just do taming period. No other skills for now (or more-so, no major work on them) because of the Guaranteed Gain System - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia
Keep your points low, so you have more often to gain. I might get flack for suggesting that, but on my last char, it has helped a lot. Also! Get the Crystal Ball of Knowledge - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia - it has really helped me. Spend a lot of time on Ice Island, and turn in tamed creatures to the Moonglow Zoo (Can work up magery slowly with gate to there). Please don't just release pets, it can mess up other people trying to tame (Gains and whatnot).

Darla

Darla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
I like hiding and stealth with a mage. Good for exploring. Great to go places and just see the world.

Clex

Logain

Logain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well as of now i kinda left out a few things but other than tame/lore/vet to about 30,

i do and still have:
magery
medi
eval
resist
scribe

other than those 5 as pure mage what would a 6th be good for? i think i'll do mage tamer with another character after i situate myself and get logain up and know my way around more, before going for mage/tamer with my second character

Logain

Logain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
heres a question mage necro would be medi/resist/eval and magery/spirit speak/necro?

Yelena

Yelena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
sometimes, thou often then not resist is not used since most consider it a waste of skill points as 120 resist is the min needed, anything less and it isn't worth the point cost

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Death comes in so meny forms and I know quite a few of them....http://img204.imageshack.us/i/yelenasig.jpg/