Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

GM your Fishing skill now

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
In the UO High Seas beta, all the new named species fish weigh 10 stones each. That means after you catch about 20 fish or so you're going to have to stop and empty your pack or further fish will just drop at your feet for anyone to snag. The named fish are worth keeping for the new fishing quests, but if youre trying to skill-up your Fishing it's going to be a bit of a pain to have to constantly mess with your backpack contents. If you GM fishing before the expansion, you'll have to stop a lot less often, normally after you've caught about 400 fish.

Plus, on top of all that, who wants to be working up Fishing when all the new stuff is already out? :) GM it now!

Fishing - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Do the named fish appear on the coasts? Or just in the ocean?

I always level fishing on the coast so I dont bring up sea monsters and end up dead.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
But aren't gains from the coast a lot slower after 60?

Playing on Drachenfels? Speaking German? Tired of exploring Sosaria alone?

Check us out: www.semperfidelis.de or sent me a pm

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
The new fish are catchable fishing from shore. Some fish may only be caught in certain areas, like Ter Mur, but not sure if some are only found in deep water(altho I consider this likely).

Do the named fish appear on the coasts? Or just in the ocean?

I always level fishing on the coast so I dont bring up sea monsters and end up dead.

---

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Yes, you have to fish deep water after 75 to get good gains, and required for any gains after 85.

Expect to catch around 3,800 fish(not counting footwear, just actual fish), under optimal conditions, to go 50-GM. The total number of casts is probably +30-40% when you figure in missed catches, footwear, etc. In other words, if you blew your weekend on just Fishing, it's doable, but make sure to get a Crystal Ball of Knowledge to make sure youre always fishing under Optimal conditions. Usually, but not always, I found that walking one end of a large ship to another when the fish stopped biting would suffice. Also, consider doing this on a developed char(and soulstoning off later) so you can kill sea serpents easily(reptile slayer wep helps big time for meleers).

But aren't gains from the coast a lot slower after 60?

---

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
Oooh, reptile slayer bow for my fisherman/archer. Good call! Looking forward to the expansion, debating downloading the beta client... Decisions decisions

[SIGPIC]http://www.uoforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic8169_1.gif[/SIGPIC]

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Good advice!!

Maeglid - just beware, the EC patch on the beta client takes for-ev-er. Both beta clients install separately from your main client, though, so no worries about messing up your current install. :)

Maeglid

Maeglid

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
Thanks kitiara - I think I will give it a go later - VERY glad to know it is a separate install... don't wanna lose my 'place', so to speak.. all those macros and such. *whew*

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I like archery because it's cheaper (skill-wise - no parrying)

Maeglid

Maeglid

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
Something I forgot - The Horselord is an Elemental Slayer AND Reptile slayer... Say Hi to Water Elementals and Sea Serpents with one bow... Might be hard to come by, but if you can imbue two slayers on a bow, might be worth it.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
High Seas launches Oct 12, you have 2 weeks to GM your fishing before it gets a bit more tedious :)

---

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Pretty sure you can't imbue two slayers on a bow...Horselord is the only option here.

Fortunately, there should be enough ToT scattered through Luna to meet modest demand.

~M