Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

New player needs help :)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Liffy

Liffy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
I used to play UO way back in the day of 56k modems. I played on Chesapeake for a couple of years in the late 90's and another year or so on Europa, before selling up my accounts and going to join the DAOC Beta. I've always had fond memories of the game especially pvp and playing order/chaos and factions.

The game has changed almost beyond recognition since I last played and recently started a trial account on atlantic. I'm looking to put together a viable pvp template that encompasses both fencing and archery if this is possible. I'm looking at something like this but not sure if it would work, as I don't know a great deal about the mechanics at the moment. Last time I did pvp in UO lumberjack axemen and tamers where very much fotm.

Tactics 100
Parry 100
Resist 100
Archery 100
Fencing 100
Anatomy 100
Chivalry or Healing 100

Just wondering how viable this would be and would chivalry work as well as healing? Civ seems good in so much as it negates the need for a warrior to have any magery. Tho I only ever used it for recalling, nightsight and low level curing. One thing I've noticed is civ seems very expensive for a new player anyway!

Also what stat set up and armour types would work best with this sort of set up. I appreciate these are probably very noob questions but been away from the game for about 10 years! Any help appreciated!

Yelena

Yelena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
resist doesn't do what it did back then, and depending on how you run you can do completely without it, ie with trap boxes and enchanted apples...

also 90 healing will be enough, with enhanced bandages that will bring you healing skill back up to gm.

chiv you don't need more then 75 skill,

and also i would take tactics to 120, that way you get 86% odd di, 120 in the weapon skills for hit chance (120 weapon skill with 45 hit chance increase againsts someone with 120 is only a hit rate of 45% and thats not counting there own defence chance increase)

for chiv you will need 4 fast casting and 6 fast cast recovery, thou personally i run with protection... but thats just me...

also if it was me i wouldn't have a double weapon skill... if it was just an archer then i would have other magic based skills to help support your damage and healing ability... the best thing i can say is play around in test center and play around with the template...

but other then that enjoy the game and welcome back

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Death comes in so meny forms and I know quite a few of them....http://img204.imageshack.us/i/yelenasig.jpg/

Liffy

Liffy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for your reply... is it worth rolling with both chiv and healing? If chiv only needs 75 and healing 90, asuming I dropped out archery and or resist would bushido fit better?

Yelena

Yelena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
bushido would be good for lightning strike also a melee chiv bush chara is a very good pvm template and good for gold farming.

my general rule of thumb is to have roughly 4 ways of healing

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Death comes in so meny forms and I know quite a few of them....http://img204.imageshack.us/i/yelenasig.jpg/

Liffy

Liffy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
I'm struggling to make my mind up here.. I really don't like the idea of dropping resist, but loved the extra durability bushido has given me fighting multiple mobs while bumming around trammel. Totally torn about what to do.

120 fencing
120 tac
95 healing
100 parry
100 anatomy
100 resist
65 chiv

This is as close as I can nail to a template I'm happy with at the moment. I'm not going to like losing confidence, but I just cant imagine pvp without magic resist. Maybe I've been out of the loop too long and should shelve the project until I find my feet again!

Yelena

Yelena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
if you have resist then nothing less then 120 will do.... personally i think its a waste of skill points, but then thats me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Panzram

Panzram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Its crazy isn't it?

I came back after about a 10 yr absence too and I've changed my first chrs template a number of times already. I started out with archery and fencing and that just wasn't working. I dropped archery and picked up parry instead. I don't use resist myself, for the same reasons given above.

I don't really pvp that much, but most of my guildmates do, and they prefer using spellweaving and bushido without the healing skill. Not having healing just makes me nervous though, so I went with fencing, parry, healing, anat, tac, focus and a split between weaving and chiv. That gives me three ways to heal. Granted, I just started using weaving, so I'm not that comfortable with it yet, but it does open a whole new set of options.

As for gear, as stated above, the spell recovery and faster casting are essential and I also use stuff with high mana and int bonuses.

Liffy

Liffy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Yelena, you may well be right. One thing that springs to mind is dealing with paraysis without resist, and not even enough magery to trap my own boxes!

Spell weaving? crap I know nothing about it. Maybe I need to look at the whole thing again, thanks for your input though guys its appreciated. Even if I am just as confused as I was before! :P

Panzram

Panzram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
As a human chr, you have a base skill of 20 in everything (Jack of All Trades), so you shouldn't have any problem with casting a trapped box. Just need the spell and the regs and you'll be able to pull it off.

Liffy

Liffy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Ah yes I forgot about that tks! Does anyone know of uo assist works with the new client? Or is there a better non script based (approved) macro programme out there?

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Becasue of the new monitoring they do I'd not suggest to use any non-approved tools.
And no uoassist currently does not work with the enhanced client.

Citizen Office of Vesper
Europa Roleplay

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
With the new Client, you do not need any macro programs anymore.

I have made training macros that ran for hours completely legal. Just make a makro, that does what you want. Then repeat that like a hundred times (or open you userfile with notepad und copy the line in question a hundred times ;)). Then set the macro to repeat 10x.

Playing on Drachenfels? Speaking German? Tired of exploring Sosaria alone?

Check us out: www.semperfidelis.de or sent me a pm

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

I'm struggling to make my mind up here.. I really don't like the idea of dropping resist, but loved the extra durability bushido has given me fighting multiple mobs while bumming around trammel. Totally torn about what to do.

120 fencing
120 tac
95 healing
100 parry
100 anatomy
100 resist
65 chiv

This is as close as I can nail to a template I'm happy with at the moment. I'm not going to like losing confidence, but I just cant imagine pvp without magic resist. Maybe I've been out of the loop too long and should shelve the project until I find my feet again!

If you are wanting to go with resist you must take it to 120. But you could use the following

120 fencing
120 parrying
120 resist
100 tactics
100 healing
100 anatomy
60 chiv

Another templetes is

120 wep
120 bush (15 bush on ring)
120 parry ( 15 parry on brac)
120 Reists
90 tact
90 heal
90 ant

u could even use the captains hat, and raise up your tact and ant to Gm.

suit well 45 hci 45 dci, 40 Lmc and try to get 100 DMI with items also 50 EP!
Armour bits 8 Lmc 2 mana reg and 8 mana.

hope this helps. I would choose the 2nd template if it was me.

Liffy

Liffy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

If you are wanting to go with resist you must take it to 120. But you could use the following

120 fencing
120 parrying
120 resist
100 tactics
100 healing
100 anatomy
60 chiv

Another templetes is

120 wep
120 bush (15 bush on ring)
120 parry ( 15 parry on brac)
120 Reists
90 tact
90 heal
90 ant

u could even use the captains hat, and raise up your tact and ant to Gm.

suit well 45 hci 45 dci, 40 Lmc and try to get 100 DMI with items also 50 EP!
Armour bits 8 Lmc 2 mana reg and 8 mana.

hope this helps. I would choose the 2nd template if it was me.

Thats a great help thanks alot, what stats would you roll with on these templates?

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Thats a great help thanks alot, what stats would you roll with on these templates?

Well with 50 ep on your jewels you need to try to get to 150 dex so if you get cursed you will not drop below 140 dex. I can't remember my stats on my dexer but I believe I am around 130 str, 150 dex, and rest in intel with pots which means my base stats are 90 str, 120 dex, and 45 intel. With that being said you still need to use items to increase you hit points, staminia, and mana. You also need will need to carry teleport scrolls, wall of stone scrolls, cure pots, refresh pots, apples, trap boxes, and I like to carry bolas also. I hope this helps.

Chadwick

Chadwick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Resist is pointless,
Roll with a trapbox (from a low level tinker) and orange petals always and you'll see why.
Chivalry is unnecessary,
You can recall with scrolls so no need for sacred journey. Assume your fighting the best of pvper's they are going to have all 70 resists so no need for Consecrate weapon. The one set back is you do lose Close wound for healing your war horse after you res it :reye

Fencer
120 Fencing, warfork (Bleed/Disarm) and kryss (Armor Ignore)
120 bush
120 parry
120 tactics
100 heal (get to 120 w/ 4 year account)
120 ant
Total 700

- Train up and use a lesser hyro, if you get dismounted or you dismount someone else you can attack with it (a pitckfork dismounts).

- You'll hit hard and be hard to hit with Bushido and Parry

OR an alternative is...

Fencer/Archer
120 Fencing, war fork (B/D)
120 Archery, comp bow (AI)
120 Anatomy
120 Tactics
120 Healing
60 Bushido
40 Med (to 60) or Chiv if you absolutely must Sacred Journey
Total 700

- (120 fencing + 120 archery + 60 bushido gives a mana reduction to your special moves)

- Heavy hit with Hit Lightning, Velocity, 40 SSI, comp bow AI and running shot for easier kill shot.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]