Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Reports of bans

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
87 replies to this topic

Nimuaq

Nimuaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
There are some posts about players getting banned in stratics: The Bans are happening in droves! - Stratics Forums

Calvin Crowner mentioned that an action is already taken on the latest producer's update:

From Producer's Update - 9/10/2010:

What’s going on with 3rd party program detection?
This week the first series of actions took place on 3rd party program use offenders. I will not share numbers or specifics on account names, locations of offenders, or how often we will take action.
Criteria for taking action are based on frequency of the offense. For example, account X was found using program Y, Z number of times. This implies that the account/player willfully violated the terms of the game. High frequency violators will be removed from the game. Low frequency violators will be warned and in time suspended if the offense continues.
Flames, vegetable throwing, and other creative methods of termination and suspension are not currently planned.
UO Assist and UOAM are sanctioned applications.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
..I, like you, once desired my freedom from the limits placed on me. I watched in disgust as this world became engrossed with the preaching of virtue and none of the practice..

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
One guy says tons of people being banned, yet no one else heard of anyone. It sounds like a false alarm or those people he saw banned were for another reason besides the new detection program.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Lan

Lan

Criminal Mongbat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
How do they detect things anyways? Do those programs, such as UOA, attach themselves to UO to the point the staff can see it? I mean, if you had a program running in the background, how can they see it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nimuaq

Nimuaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
They cant see it but they surely can observe the effect.

Imagine yourself stopping at a traffic sign and you cant see the sign somehow. How can you tell if the light turn to green? The green light will have an effect on the traffic such that the other cars will start moving, maybe the car behind you will sound the honk, the cars on the other side of the road will stop for you to pass etc.

Same way, the effect of these scripts can be detected on the server side in various ways. However, they should know the effect perfectly to detect it. If we return to our pathetic example, we knew the light turned to green cause our observations distinctly suggest that green light event has occured. However, we can never be 100% sure about it. Same way, they should find a way to distinguish player actions from script actions. This is not a big issue since no player repeates the same actions with perfect timing and over and over again. They also mentioned going after specific scripts, this suggests that they already know the effect of these scripts on the server-side.

If everyting else fails and they still cant tell if the action is performed by a player or a script, they can always check it themselves online in the game. The easiest thing to detect gotta be unattended macroing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
..I, like you, once desired my freedom from the limits placed on me. I watched in disgust as this world became engrossed with the preaching of virtue and none of the practice..

Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos

UOForums Owner/EOGamer CEO

• Administrators
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationDenmark
I don't know anyone who has been banned. So I don't know if this is anything to put serious stock in.

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia
It takes only 3 statements / API calls to see what exactly is running on the PC the client is running on tho...
They would not be able to send that data back, probably, due to privacy laws worldwide, but it isn't hard to do, so who knows what they actually *can* do?
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Over the years, I've seen these periodic reports of mass hysteria over bans. Some of the time, it's the scripters and gold farmers trying to raise hell and blow up the matter in an attempt to convince the general populace something sinister and unjust is afoot. In the end, the scripters still get banned and the players don't seem to take up the picket line, no matter how many threaten and scream theyre going to quit in protest. So, in other words, it's almost kind of funny to watch all the freaking out and arm waving.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
The funny thing is, I have been in ventrillo with some of the people that are complaining alot in that thread... lets say, they are no angels.

Truly Ironical.

On a personal note, on the 2nd of September while doing a spawn on Drachs, at Ice West, I got attacked by two reds... the first went down, the second... we fought for a while... until he suddendly vanished from screen next to the Altar.
(Before you ask, he was no stealther, didnt use a potion, ... and he flagged first so I dont think he could have recalled to the Faction HQ)

I posted my report, it was weird... I never saw those characters again... and they were familiar foes that I fought almost every night...

If people are getting banned for using automated healing software... GOOD!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
That Zosimus guy has the perfect avatar pic for that thread, lol

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
HEHE

I just checked with my guildmates that plays Atlantic... it is confirmed.

2 bans, then 3 bans, then 2 more in the same night. (different guilds)

They also reported that while they were "training"... they were called by a GM.
The "message" was... do what you wish but never go unattended.

We live in fascinating times!

(now we will see mass gold and resources for sale... and the rats leaving ship again, the first wave left in April...)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
well maybe there won't be so many people defiantly beating on golems in Luna unattended anymore, lol

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Stratics Forums - View Single Post - [UO Herald] Producer's Update - 9/10/2010

You can use Cartographer!

(adding it to the list)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
They are saying that all the new detection is server side. And apparently these bannings are related to speedhacking.

As I understand it, the current speedhacking methods work by flooding the shard with more movement messages than a normal client. So they could have tweeked the code to detect abnormal amounts of messages.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Good! Speedhackers are vile, evil people. I couldn't care less about anything else.

Except dupers. Dupers are even worse.

~M

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

well maybe there won't be so many people defiantly beating on golems in Luna unattended anymore, lol

I've done some "at keyboard" macroing smacking on a golem, but I may or may not have been focusing on the TV, or my PSP. :)

I never did it in Luna though, can't stand the place.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Reading that thread gave me a headache, so I banned myself from UHall.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

Reading that thread gave me a headache, so I banned myself from UHall.

Friends dont let friends read UHall.

Tanivar

Tanivar

Craftaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Friends dont let friends read UHall.

<laugh :) >

That Stratics thread is something isn't it. The Cheater types are sounding off.

I've pretty much moved to following things here instead of Stratics. The truely relevant material is posted here without all the compost it's buried in on Stratics.

Nuch nicer reading experience. The New York Times instead of the National Enquirer. :reye
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Moving forward is a Good Thing, but EA needs to consider they've made a wrong turn somewhere and are not going the right way. The route they are taking is shedding Customers and not picking up many new ones.

What that one or more wrong turns were is something they have to dig into their records, look at the competition, and figure out to get back to moving forward on the path to more Customers coming in than are leaving. Can they do it, or is our destiny to be playing on free-shards?

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
But what if Elvis and Liz Taylor's secret love child cheats on their husband with the nanny and is announcing their run for office? You'd miss it! lol

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

well I've done a lot of golem training, and it doesn't require any third party software. Just a few pet commands. I did go afk once for about 30 seconds to go to the bathroom while my guy sat there training, came back to see myself locked in the bucs den bath house next to a GM.
So at least it seems they keep an eye out for the AFKers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...