Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

UO:AotHS Fishing Change?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I noticed in one of the screenshots where people are fishing there are a bunch of bobbers in the water. This reminds me of the Fishing in World of Warcraft where, when you fish, the bobber lands in the water in a random place in front of you and as soon as the fish bites you have to click on the bobber to reel the fish in.

This makes it very hard to macro-fish, which was a huge issue for UO in it's early days as it was a nice and easy source of income(aside from killing newbs, smelting their metal armor and weapons and selling the ingots, lol). All the same, I kind of like the cast and forget mechanic as is, but also would be happy to help thwart unattended macroers(like they don't already reap in enough ingots, logs, etc.)

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I have yet to see the 'anti-macroer' mechanic that didn't make it more difficult for the casual player to enjoy their game experience. I am against things like this in general principle, if they do not also add some new and exciting facet to gameplay.

~M

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
There are a few interesting fishing mechanics out there. UO is kinda fire-and-forget. WoW is as above, click when it flashes at you.

LOTRO, is more "realistic" in that you wait for a fish to show up, then reel in when you see the bobber shake (like WoW) LOTRO's difference is it's graphics engine means you can actually see a fish under water.

Final Fantasy 14 uses a "hot and cold" system for its tradeskills. You get limited attempts, and have to click at the right time to catch the fish/mine the ore etc. Failed attempts give you a hint to how close you are.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
the next WoW expansion is going to use a whole new water model(and the screenies and mov's look great) so wonder if they might update it similarly to LOTRO

Tanivar

Tanivar

Craftaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
I hope they don't make fishing require a lot of mousing and clicking, I had to give up t-hunting because of that. The young devs need to keep in mind that a lot of the players are older folks who feel the wear & tear of all that mousing & clicking, where they don't, at least not yet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Moving forward is a Good Thing, but EA needs to consider they've made a wrong turn somewhere and are not going the right way. The route they are taking is shedding Customers and not picking up many new ones.

What that one or more wrong turns were is something they have to dig into their records, look at the competition, and figure out to get back to moving forward on the path to more Customers coming in than are leaving. Can they do it, or is our destiny to be playing on free-shards?

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
It's easy to set up a macro for Fishing.

Just open the Options window, click on the Macros tab(one with circular arrow), click Add, assign a key(I use F3), then open the tiny little drop down menu to choose LastObject, then set LastTarget in the drop down menu below that, click Save and youre done.

With the fishing pole in your hand, double click it and target some ocean to cast your line. After 7 or 8 seconds, you'll know if you caught something or not, then just hit the macro key you assigned and it will automatically cast your line at the same spot of water, easy shmeezy.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I would totally try to GM Fishing before High Seas comes out. You will need to catch around 4k fish while always fishing in an area for optimal gains.

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
I don't think I'd continue fishing if UO made it any more complicated (i.e. any less "fire and forget it"). The main reason I fish is to relax. It's mostly mindless and monotonous, and that's exactly what I'm looking for when I set out to fish. The occasional adrenaline spikes when a sea serpent tries to eat me keep things interesting, but mostly, I just want to chill out and unwind.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I'm hoping they'll rethink the loot(or objective) of Fishing. MiB loot is pretty bad. It was the first skill I ever GM'd back in 1999 because it was a good way to make money without getting pk'd. I was so excited and proud the minute I hit GM! I even sold cooked fish at west Brit bank. I got scammed by a boat seller. The first house I ever bought was paid for with all those fish and MiB's I sold. It was a scary feeling to hand my "life savings" over to some guy for a house in the middle of nowhere. This was before secure house trading, so it was kind of a gamble. One of the conditions of the deal was he mark me some runes so I could get back to my house, lol. No sooner I'd told my friends I got a house than they all wanted to move in! It was a small stone house, right on the tip of the southernmost peninsula. We each had a section of wall where we could stack chests that were ours and a community chest to share stuff. It was all on your honor that you didnt take stuff from other people's chests. It was very disciplined in terms of never bringing non-friends to the house and always guarding the house key with your life. One time, a random PK did happen by and got the housekey off one of the guys. Of course, we were all some poor newbs with barely GM armor to our name. I think he snagged some gold but that was it. I was so relieved he didn't take any of my fishsteaks or my awesome silver longsword of ruin, lol

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
LOL Tancred, I love the old times!! I used to fish like crazy! I still do MiB's - and I agree, the loot is pretty terrible. Maybe it's all relative - MiB loot didn't keep up with the UO economy's inflation :)

I'll never forget the first (and only!) time I let my brother borrow my boat. He sailed off with my cousin, and ended up losing the thing! My mom came upstairs to see why I was beating the crap out of my brother, and I was like, "HE LOST MY BOAT!!!" She was dumbfounded. "What boat?! You don't have a boat!" She still doesn't fully get the in-game versus real-life distinction :) (You'd think it would start to make sense after 13 years!)