Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Future UO Free-To-Play Possibilities

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
First things first - I have no knowledge of any official move to Free To Play for Ultima Online. I don't even have any rumors. This is JUST a thought discussion.

In a completely unrelated thread/poll on the new booster pack (http://www.uoforums....-high-seas.html), a side discussion of UO in a F2P (Free To Play) arrangement would work. I posted a thought about revitalizing towns & cities via apartments.

Regarding F2P and empty cities - how about if you went the F2P route, you were assigned an apartment in an existing city? You'd get a room with a bed, some permanent chests for storage and such. Since you would have limited room, you would need to use the existing shops for your crafting work (anvils, spinning wheels, cooking, etc.) If they 'renovated' every city to include a set of apartment complexes - say 50 rooms in every city on each facet, maybe more in Britain proper, say 100 - you could really give people starting options without making housing a serious issue until they started paying monthly as we do, and you would liven up the cities quite well, with the influx of new players.

I think in just Britannia, there are at least 10 cities - so that's that's should be nearly 500 apartments PER facet, 1000 per shard - just in Britannia alone. Add in Tokuno, Ter Mur & the Lost lands, well, I can't imagine.

As populations ebb and flow, EA could always build more apartment buildings (25 flats in each) on the edges of towns. Instant free housing.

Storage space and character count could be kept low to help with server issues, if it came to that. Maybe give them the same storage space as a 7x7 custom (whatever that might be), and severely limited lockdowns (storage chests are permanent and do not count towards that).

I'm thinking rooms maybe slightly larger than the ones in the inn in New Haven. Don't need much since you will have to craft at the various shops in town, not in your flat.

If the continuing success of UO depended on F2P, how would you implement it?

Some of my further thoughts:

Skills perma-capped at 100 while in F2P
Stats perma-capped at n00bie level, whatever it is
Reduced follower count (pets, summons)
Unable to access premium (subscription) areas
One account per IP (prevent various issues)
Restricted to apartments - no owning/co-owing houses
No veteran rewards

Goal: Goad F2P gamers to convert to subscription. Once converted to subscription, account cannot revert to F2P (what if they made a 120 skill character and tried to F2P? Either they'd lose the 20 points permanently, and any other subscription priviledge (house, followers, etc.), or... something even more bad would happen. I don't know.)

Again, this is a thought discussion of what F2P MIGHT look like *IF* UO ever went that way.

How would YOU work F2P in UO?

[SIGPIC]http://www.uoforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic8169_1.gif[/SIGPIC]

Gorgon

Gorgon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
This is just something I whipped up. I tried to set in some strict restrictions to make it so that F2P can enjoy the game to a point, but they are strongly encouraged to purchase something.

Free Accounts (no purchases made)
Skills capped at 80 max with a total of 600 skill points available.
Stats capped at 80 each with a total of 200 points available.
Follower count reduced to 1 (animal taming will raise this as appropriate).
Access to Trammel only.
One account max (verified by IP Address)
Two characters max
No access to Siege Perelous.
No access to house ownership/friendship
Gold cap of 1m
Unable to give/receive resource checks / gold checks.
Only able to chat on the Help channel with a 30 second timer between posts.

Silver Accounts (Purchase of $10 or more made)
Skills capped at 100 max with a total of 700(720) skill points available.
Stats capped at 100 each and 225(230) stat points available.
Follower count reduced to 3 (animal taming will raise this as appropriate).
Access to all lands.
Unlimited accounts allowed.
Twelve characters max (across up to three shards)(Single character slot on SP counts towards the 1/3 shards).
Access to pre-designed homes with decay rate active.
Gold cap of 10m
Unable to give resource checks / gold checks.
Able to chat on any public channel and may join private channels.
May join guilds.

Gold Accounts (Subscription)
Skills capped at 120 max (with PS) with a total of 700(720) skill points available.
Stats capped at 125 each and 225(230) stat points available.
Follower count set at 5 (animal taming will raise this as appropriate)
Access to all lands.
Unlimited accounts allowed.
Fifty Characters max (across any shards)
Access to all home styles with a slowed decay rate (roughly 1/5 rate)
No gold cap.
Able to chat on any public channel and may create private channels.
May create guilds

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
Please don't necro almost 3 year old threads.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Perhaps there should be an auto-lock feature on threads that turn a certain age? That way, they could be still viewed for the curious, or even requested to be unlock with a good reason?

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Gorgon

Gorgon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey, it was on page 1 for me. Not sure why, figured it was somewhat recent (shrugs)

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
No worries, people have done far worse things to banana bread.

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Gorgon

Gorgon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Anyways, I liked my ideas. It lets people who haven't played enjoy the game and be able to explore quite a bit while leaving content available, but way out of their reach (unless the team up and do uber stuff). It also would clear up a LOT of housing problems since to get a house you would need to pay the monthly price-tag. I can't think of a better way to get our numbers back into the 100k range while still having a lot of open space.

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
Wasn't the simplest solution just to extend the trial accounts.

Mika

Mika

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I agree, limited f2p model (like wow) will repopulate servers! There is a lot of free shard today, and this will encourage new and old players

Guido

Guido

Ultima Franchise Managing Editor and Site Moderator

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts

I agree, limited f2p model (like wow) will repopulate servers! There is a lot of free shard today, and this will encourage new and old players

This thread has already been hit once with a 3 year necro - now we have a 2 year necro.  Should have been locked the first time - it is locked this time.

Esse Quam Videri
Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

fs_pc.png