Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

[May contain Spoilers]New Meer/Bane "Event"

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
For anyone who hasn't noticed, the Bane Chosen have moved from The Lost Lands to Ilshenar, near the Spirituality Shrine. While they aren't actively attacking the Meer at the moment, they are actively soliciting the Meers' deaths, and will exchange power crystals for blackrock stew (bane dragon food).

Curiously, the Meer are now carrying power crystals, which the Bane are more than happy to point out.

However, various creatures associated with Lord Blackthorn and Exodus also carry power crystals, and if you need the stew but don't want to attack good-aligned, blue-hued creatures who on some shards are actually allies of Britannia, those are a better option. Seek out the Exodus Dungeon/Power Core in the southwest corner of Central Ilshenar, among other locations in Central Ilshenar.

I put "event" in quotes because at the moment this is less an event than a new static spawn stuck in Ilshenar. Maybe this will change in the future.

On GL there is an EM event tonight. The assumption is that this event is related to the big picture fiction. We assume this because it was delayed by a week, from last week, presumably to coincide with Publish 67.

-Galen's player

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
Related fiction on the UO main page, posted literally as I was posting this.

:)

-Galen's player

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
you rock!

what do you get for killing the banites... do the meer give any reward?

are the banites vulnerable to anything?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
The fiction makes it sound like Dawn is going to go visit this new battle sight. This calls to mind events which get kicked off with her appearance in an EM event, similar to how they connected the moongate to Ter Mur.

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

you rock!

what do you get for killing the banites... do the meer give any reward?

are the banites vulnerable to anything?

Bane are reponds.

That means to drop your Conjurer's Trinkets lest they do double damage to you (unless they took that out again and didn't say anything).

Nothing from killing them as of yet, save for loyalty points with the Meer (new) or Ophidians (carried over from last phase). The Meer drop the Power Crystals, which can be used to get Blackrock Stew from the Bane quest giver at the middle of their camp, but you can also get the Power Crystals from other places too, as noted.

Your loyalty to the Bane or the Ophidians does carry over from the last phase.

-Galen's player

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Thank you, like always you rock...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Thank you, like always you rock...

Thank you.

*blushes*

-Galen's player

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
looks like they are making it very easy to obtain blackrock stew. Every meer I have killed, except meer mages, carries a power crystal. So stock up on stew.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Robert Falcon

Robert Falcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Wonder what your going to get if you defend the Meer?

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Wonder what your going to get if you defend the Meer?

So far, nothing.

You do accumulate Meer loyalty points, however, so I'm betting there'll be something, sooner or later.

I don't know where they got this from, but the UO Guide claims that the devs have stated that the theme of this event cycle, titled In the Shadow of Virtue, is: "How virtuous are you when no one is looking."

On Great Lakes, the characters have already deduced that it's likely not coincidence that the Bane now have tons of crystalline blackrock, and blackrock golems were involved in the assault on Britain. (There's other, GL-specific reasons for thinking the Bane have a part in whatever's going on.) They are openly encouraging assaults on known-good, friendly creatures.

That the Bane are evil is increasingly difficult to question.

And, now, they are after power crystals.

-Galen's player

Nimuaq

Nimuaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

I don't know where they got this from, but the UO Guide claims that the devs have stated that the theme of this event cycle, titled In the Shadow of Virtue, is: "How virtuous are you when no one is looking."

I'm responsible for that piece of info based on a post in uoherald on April. I'll highlight the pieces on that post to show my reasoning. I'll gladly remove that if I get that post wrong.

From uoherald.com:

Update - 4/14: The development team wanted to offer some background into the creative process for making the next chapter in UO Lore, enjoy!
In February of this year we had a Saturday meeting. From this meeting we discussed all of the plans surrounding the re-building of Magincia … what we wanted to do with growing the community … but first and foremost we wanted something simple, elegant, and that would inspire roleplay.
We’ve looked at all the stories from Greek Mythology, Norse, Grimm Fairy Tales, and the Bible. There are some basic themes. There is good … there is Evil and all things in-between.
Before the thread occurred about “Good and Bad in UO” we had already devised the path for the rest of the year. There is a quote we learn at the Air Force Academy …”A man has integrity if his interest in the good of the Service is at all times greater than [himself], and when he holds himself to the same line of duty when unobserved as he would follow if his superiors were present ..” (Yes I know that by heart it was drilled into me …)

The paraphrased version is …”How good are you when no one is around?”

Even more … if you have the opportunity to be bad … how bad would you be?

It’s very easy to be a good person when good is winning … Yes, we are planning on rebuilding Magincia. But to make an omelet
And with that Gentlewomen … and Good sirs of Britannia … We offer you:
In the Shadow of Virtue - Lost and Found Part 2

My other suggestion was: It has been summarized by the devs with the word: omelet

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
..I, like you, once desired my freedom from the limits placed on me. I watched in disgust as this world became engrossed with the preaching of virtue and none of the practice..

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

I'm responsible for that piece of info based on a post in uoherald on April. I'll highlight the pieces on that post to show my reasoning. I'll gladly remove that if I get that post wrong.

From uoherald.com:

My other suggestion was: It has been summarized by the devs with the word: omelet

Thank you.

I'd never meant to question that the UO Guide, which I've also made (I would like to think) significant contributions to, was accurate on the point. I just wanted to make sure that people knew that I was using the secondary source, and that the primary source was, until now, unknown to me.

I feel it possible, but I don't know how likely, that the lack of current reward for killing the Bane is intended; to go along with that theme.

-Galen's player

Nimuaq

Nimuaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
No I like to be questioned about this since I'm not the usual content editor for the event cycles. I missed a lot of global events and dont have enough knowledge on Ultima lore to make the necessary links. The uoherald post above was the only thing I had to understand what inspired devs about this event. I'm really considering adding omelet to the text too.

Also, according to Opidian Delphi, Bane sacked the crystalline blackrock resources of the Ophidians. She says nothing about being victorious yet also nothing about being defeated. So Bane is not after destroying the these races, they're after the treasures. We all know that if you want a power crystal, you go to Castle Blackthorn or Exodus Dungeon. Why the meer carry power crystals (again, not being an expert on Uo lore) is a big mystery to me.

The current war between the Bane and the Meer, in my opinion, is not fully implemented yet. As Trevelyan posted before, there are a lot of positive karma creatures around Ilshenar and they can be used to kill a lot of Bane soldiers. There are two new artifact names in the cliloc entries, Feline's Grace and Gift of Eternal, so I guess it will be active soon with the same war system as the war between the bane and ophidians.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
..I, like you, once desired my freedom from the limits placed on me. I watched in disgust as this world became engrossed with the preaching of virtue and none of the practice..