Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

UO, Cyber Bullying, and Harassment

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island

Interesting thread, its always bad to see this kind of stuff going on but as everyone says its about not fuelling the fire. Are you still getting hassle?

Since I've been sick I've been pretty much laying low.

I was on last night for a friend's wedding and I probably ticked some people off. I hadn't intended to go near global chat but my sis gives me a shout in guild chat to hop in there for a bit someone not in guild/alliance needed to speak with me.

Well I forgot about being in it till I had the misfortune of having to see some pvper go off with a tirade of hate-language. I told them that I have no issue with pvp smack talk, but if they continued with the hate/racial type speech I will report it to a GM as it is a violation of the TOS/ROC.

Well I got a bunch of colorful language spewed at me for my trouble from the pvper.
Which was almost sort of comical in a ironic sorta of way. Made me think of the old addage

Better to be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I did report the hate language to a GM and I got a canned message that this is not the job of a GM. Really?? Gee, here I was thinking it was their job all along. =)

Oh well, Such is life.
if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every battle. -Sun Tzu

Robert Falcon

Robert Falcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
I'm still trying to figure out why players use the chat system, I (we) use guild chat, party chat and ICQ that way you can lock out all the rif-raff out and don't have to deal with players of that level. IMHO I think that this chat system was another in a line of mistakes that UO has made.

They create more issues then they solve!

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Well.. the only thing missing are the moderating commands...

The first player to create a room, establishes if it is private or public... and gets moderating rights.

That would solve most of the current problems.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island
Okay here's lastest update. I emailed Mesanna almost a week ago and have had NO response. I'm beginning to get extremely flustrated. EA pretty much diesn't give a crap. So If someone wants to harass you they can and there is NOTHING you can do about it. I'm so disgusted.

Anyway here's a copy of my email:

Please help me, thank you.

*********to barmstrong and ccrowner - 6 days ago
To: barmstrong <barmstrong@ea.com>.
Cc: ccrowner <ccrowner@ea.com>.Bcc:.
Date:Thu, Jul 29, 2010 12:27 am

Dear Mesanna and Cal,

Hello my name is ****** *******. I play Ultima Online on Legends shard. You may know me by my main character Jirel of Joiry. Since July 3, 2010 I have been repeatedly harassed by the person known as Finglongerer, El DaNgEl, Finglonger, and other aliases. The last time was on July 22, 2010.

It started at the 4th of July Event. He was on El DaNgEl and was spamming over Queen Dawn. He was asked by many people including myself to please stop. I like to role play my character at events with Queen Dawn. So in “RP” style this is what I told him “shut thy mouth, sir or I shall be forced to take thee to Fel and beat thee to a bloody pulp”. He completely goes off at this and demands I duel him. When I refused he began to spam obscenities at me in global chat. I removed myself from global chat and he still continued. I know of this because my guild mates informed me and I saw it for myself on my sister’s computer as she was still in global chat. He even continued after I logged off. My guild mates and my sister told him “hey, you win she logged. Now stop it already.”

From then on every time I logged in and tried to use global chat he would launch into a tirade of obscenities at me. I would put him on ignore only for him to switch characters and start again. I have paged on him for verbal harassment. I will either get a message stating the character doesn’t exist or if it does get through to a GM I get a “canned” response. However nothing ever seems to happen to him. I have been forced to lay low and simply not play UO.

His latest verbal assault on me happened July 22, 2010 after the Cow Tipping Event. I was talking to an upset friend. He finds me in game, comes up to me and launches into yet another tirade of obscenities. It was bad enough now he’s hunting me down in game! I have tried very hard to go through all the proper channels. I keep getting sent to yet another email address or told simply that they can not assist me with this issue.

As of right now 23 states in the US have laws making cyber-bullying or Cyber-harassment a crime. So not only is this person being a complete pain but he’s breaking the law in my state of Oklahoma, EA’s home state of California and EAMythic’s home state of Virginia. I would dearly love to work with you on implementing ways to stop abuse and harassment via the UO global chat system as well as dealing with this person. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I know you are very, very busy. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every battle. -Sun Tzu

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
You may not be getting a response because you threatened legal action previously. Even tho BArmstrong may want to assist, she could be bound by business rules not to even reply to your email at this point.

I would just stick with keeping this guy on ignore so you don't see anything he says. If he harasses you via game mechanics, stay calm, ask him to leave 3 times, leave the area and then page a GM on him if he persists. I'd think *eventually* he is going to either get bored, get banned or find someone else to pester.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Fighting spammers would mean having to put effort into it. Mythic is too short-staffed, since they fired/laid off most of their team.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

I'm still trying to figure out why players use the chat system, I (we) use guild chat, party chat and ICQ that way you can lock out all the rif-raff out and don't have to deal with players of that level. IMHO I think that this chat system was another in a line of mistakes that UO has made.

They create more issues then they solve!

I don't even keep it open, it's all stupid fel smacktalk on Catskills.

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island

You may not be getting a response because you threatened legal action previously. Even tho BArmstrong may want to assist, she could be bound by business rules not to even reply to your email at this point.

I would just stick with keeping this guy on ignore so you don't see anything he says. If he harasses you via game mechanics, stay calm, ask him to leave 3 times, leave the area and then page a GM on him if he persists. I'd think *eventually* he is going to either get bored, get banned or find someone else to pester.

Yeah, I try to keep him and his "cast of thousands" on ignore. I didn't actually threaten anything. It was a rhetorical question. Its unfortunate that EA has out sourced 90% of the customer service jobs to countries whose native language is not English.

IMHO- its corporations like EA out sourcing that is killing the American economy. A dear friend of mine in RL was laid off because the company he work for out sourced his I.T. security job to Argentina. You see they could pay the guy in Argentina per week what my friend got paid per hour.

Its sad but true. :( I mean no disrespect to anyone else's country but ya know you should take care of your own first, then try to help others where ever and however you can.

Please don't think me mean, heartless, or cruel its only my opinon and in the grand scheme of the universe it mean very little.

Jirel

Riboflavin

Riboflavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

IMHO- its corporations like EA out sourcing that is killing the American economy. A dear friend of mine in RL was laid off because the company he work for out sourced his I.T. security job to Argentina. You see they could pay the guy in Argentina per week what my friend got paid per hour.

Its sad but true. :( I mean no disrespect to anyone else's country but ya know you should take care of your own first, then try to help others where ever and however you can.

Jirel

Jirel, in the world of global market there is no "own country" for a company anymore. Our wealth comes from selling into the whole world. So the whole world is offering its labour too. And it is also "us" who are wanting to buy items/ service cheap. I could hear the whining already know, in the moment EA or any other company would increase their monthly subscription fee cause customer support is coming back to "our" (mine and yours are not the same, mind you) country. It is simple and yet very complex.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Protectionism (passing laws that deter trade between countries) looks good when times are tough, but unfortunately is a long term liability in a global economy.

Though customer outcry has brought a lot of service jobs back - having your call centre in north america or europe is a selling point these days.

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island
My friend that works in I.T. security suggested using a packet sniffer to get Mr. Pain-in-my-tuckus's IP address. Then file a complaint with the PD and his service provider. Is using a packet sniffer in UO Illegal? I don't wanna get my keester banned or nothing I just want said knothead to leave me alone.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You can't get someone's IP through the UO Game client

But, with that said, if you file a complaint with the police for harrassment, they can send a request for the IP to EA

I know they do can do that with hacked accounts and EA by law, has to provide it.

Not sure if it applies to harrassment cases though, but I'd imagine it would do.

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island
Well interesting little development last night......

I been laying low playing on alternate chars and staying out of Global chat. Well I was on my Tamer peacer last night with My greater draggy. I was enjoying the invasion thats finally landed on Legends. I happened to be killing a crap load of daemons in front of a Luna vendor house, HIS luna vendor house. Then I realized all the vendors were gone, strange. I checked the house sign and he no longer owns it.

Hmmm I wonder. I'm not gonna start celebrating just yet but its at very least a hopeful sign.

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
EA works in mysterious ways :)

Hope its a good sign

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Looks like the new 3rd party system works :P

Posted Image

Nevaeh

Nevaeh

Musical Courtesan

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
didnt read all through all the muck, but what i do is just ignor them and if they keep it up,in uo, there is or was a filter to stop seeing what they have to say. its only a game/internet:P

Posted Image
free siggy just pm me

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island

didnt read all through all the muck, but what i do is just ignor them and if they keep it up,in uo, there is or was a filter to stop seeing what they have to say. its only a game/internet:P

Yes, I'm using the ignore filter but he has a lot of different characters. My hope that he'd left my shard was premature. I got on and guess who was on....yup you guessed it.

I called EA this morning this time I used Warhammer/Daoc option instead of the other games option. At least the person I got understood MMOs and was concerned instead of the get lost attitude I have been getting. She brought up my account and read through all the harassment complaints I've filed against this person. She said that something SHOULD be done. She talked to her supervisor who is going to forward my complaint to corporate. I ask about forwarding it to EA legal since the guy is breaking the law they said they would see what they could do.
I'm just not playing anymore, it no fun logging and having to "look over my shoulder" so to speak.

I'm trying to figure out a way to raise enough money for airfare on SWA and cheap accomedations to go to the Town Hall Aug. 28. Anyway airfare is $375 bucks. Greyhound would take like two days and I have to leave out of Baltimore at 1:00 AM to get home ....aaaaccckk!!! I looked at Amtrak...bawahahahahahahaha...like a week to get there!

I was think if I went to the Town Hall then; they CAN NOT ignore me in person, ha!
Perhaps then I could get something done.

On a final note: something he said last night makes me wonder if the guy is either a employee or the child of a employee of EAMythicBioware (is that the name now?)
Anyway he made the statement: "Yeah I heard Mesanna, the dev team and the GMs all told you to go f*** yourself. LMAO I told u I was untouchable! Nobody gonna do anything 2 me!"

I'm begin to seriously wish I could punch this guy in the face. I'd enjoy the jail time if I broke his bloody jaw!

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Interesting strategy, calling Mythic support for another game than assumed... be fun to see if this works, lol

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island

Interesting strategy, calling Mythic support for another game than assumed... be fun to see if this works, lol

lol no its all one phone number. Then you get the recorded thingy that says: To speak to a customer(no) service representative press 1 for Rock Band Games, 2 for Pogo and Club Pogo, 3 for Sims titles, 4 for Fifa online, 5 for Madden 11, 6 for Warhammer or DAOC, 7 for Littest Pet Shop Online, 8 for other sports titles and 9 for all other games.

So for UO you press 9 and get a random CS rep that doesn't know or care about UO or MMO rpgs. I actually had one ask me if UO is a console game. Good Grief!! :P I decided to go a different route since 6 handles BOTH DAOC and War I figured they'd have a clue. Well they didn't know much about UO other than its a MMO but at least they actually acted like they wanted to help.

Anyway, we'll see if anything happens.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Im sure if you search more on flightoptions you can find something cheaper..

Or is there no lowfare company in US?

Posted Image