Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

UO, Cyber Bullying, and Harassment

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

uobuoy

uobuoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

hm.. just agree with them that everything they say is 100% true. Eventually they'll get bored and go away.

Perfect answer! I use this technique in UO and real life...although in RL it can be dangerous! When I'm driving and some moron pulls a stupid/dangerous/inconsiderate maneuver...I wave and put on a really big smile. I've seen some people turn purple with rage and make every imaginable obscene gesture. I thought a few were gonna have heart attacks! Laugh at your attackers...especially in UO (where they can't really hurt you!).

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts

I wave and put on a really big smile. I've seen some people turn purple with rage and make every imaginable obscene gesture.

omg, youre One Of Those!

About a month ago, some genetic dead-end tore right in front of me. He was merging on the higway via a ramp and it was slow-moving traffic. Cars are supposed to take turns merging on, LIKE A ZIPPER. So this ricky decides things are moving too slow for him cuz he's busy cruising his Infiniti and chatting on the phone and floors it to zip around and past the commoners through the shoulder lane, sees that it merges on and then pops in front of me at the last possible instant. I wanted to drag him out of his car and spread his 3 fluid ounces of brain all over his clay-bar waxed hood. Instead I soon swing around and get alongside. Popped Collar is still on the phone, but takes the time to glance over and give me a head nod and the two-finger wave with his hand on the steering wheel like we're out sailing the Lesser Antilles with a nice tradewind. My blood went from rolling boil to Mount Vesuvius. But then it struck me that this guy is a dbag 24/7 and this is just one of his parlor tricks to reach Level 8 Awesome(and going to jail is never a good time as the food sucks, there is no internet and the locals can get fidgety). I just put on an unbelieving grimace, extended the North Korean salute and shook my head without looking twice and was on my merry way. Fin.

Evolus

Evolus

Worst Tamer Ever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
Jirel, I don't know you personally so don't take this the wrong way.

You can never be sure of the maturity level of any gamers in UO. This kid may be young, and we can all remember when we were young. We did dumb things but we learned from them.

What I get from your story is that some guy was spamming at an EM event. Instead of the EM blocking his text (which I thought they could do) you reply back with a sarcastic response.

That was your first problem. You fought fire with fire instead of just letting it be. In PVP people get egos. I'm not sure why, but some people get as upset about dying in UO as if you told them their girlfriend was cheating on them.

So you replied with a sarcastic comment to an immature person and this is what you get in return.

Is it right? No. But all I'm saying is that your response set off this chain of reactions and next time maybe just try ignoring immature people to begin with.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Best bet is always to simply ignore them, no attention what so ever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Ah, if only that worked with co-workers or the IRS...

Best bet is always to simply ignore them, no attention what so ever.

Archie Newbie

Archie Newbie

[young]

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ignoring people is effective, but not necessarily fun. (It's a game, and all about FUN!)

Okay, so you did not choose the effective method and instead your character offered their character to a duel. Now of course some spammer at an event is not role playing, although I'm confident that they could come up with some back story about how they are indeed the most LEET RPER in UO, and whatnot, but that's neither here nor there.

So what to do? Well, accept the accepted duel, of course. Start a new character with 50 taming, if you have a slot available on that shard, otherwise my diabolical plan will not work. Oh, and use the same name for the character that you were on when you encountered said spammer-would-be-griefer.

Next, tease them along that your character is coming to the duel location in the fine land known as Felucca, but since that character is a resident of Trammel, it will take some time. (They are easily lost and very afraid of what might lurk in the shadows, yadda, yadda, yadda.) Accept defeat before you even begin! (But not to your opponent, of course.)

Then tame as many rabbits, or cats, or dogs, or rats, or whatever is possible, on the way to the d00ling site, newb.

Park the pets a short way from the site of your character's demise, ask them nicely to guard your character, and then proceed to the certain failure point. (Hopefully decked out in similar apparel that your real character was wearing.)

Of course, as SOON as the jerkie one has his (or her) character attack yours, RUN TO YOUR PET GUARDS!

Command the pets to kill and target your unworthy opponent, or whatever tamers use in battle these days to command their fine pets. (I have no idea. I'm retired from official UO. It might be better to name all your pets before hand with really ridiculously funny names, and have macros set up to command each to attack last target, and set last target upon immediate contact with the jerkie one.) But if the guarding command still works as I remember it, then I don't think attacking the aggressor will be necessary.

An added bonus goes TO YOU for using all birds. (Little ones that might be hard to target.)

Extra bonus points for screenshots for us to enjoy!

And, of course, try to keep your character alive long enough for the perp to go WTF!?! (or whatever strange language they speak these day) so that you can get your revenge and move on to better and bigger things. Now if you really, really want to have fun, have about 10 (or 20, or 30, or more) of your friends nearby on their own newbie tamers of very small birds, who are of course happy to come to your defense. Heck, I would even open a trial account to get in on such an adventure.

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
When people want to duel me over stupid stuff, I agree to duel, tell them I'll met them wherever in 5 mins while I bank my valuables, then I just chill at the bank and then laugh at them when they come tell me they waited for 20 minutes for me to show up.

Making people waste their own time for no reason and then making them realize what you did is a much sweeter victory than you could win in any duel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Archie Newbie

Archie Newbie

[young]

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

When people want to duel me over stupid stuff, I agree to duel, tell them I'll met them wherever in 5 mins while I bank my valuables, then I just chill at the bank and then laugh at them when they come tell me they waited for 20 minutes for me to show up.

Making people waste their own time for no reason and then making them realize what you did is a much sweeter victory than you could win in any duel.

I like to do that on message boards (waste the time of people who want to duel over stupid stuff) but in game, I like to waste mine and theirs. It's one of the ways I find to keep from getting bored doing the same activities over and over and over.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Bottom line is, what is fun for some may not be for others.
My time is probably the most valuable thing I have, I refuse to waste it on those not deserving.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Archie Newbie

Archie Newbie

[young]

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Bottom line is, what is fun for some may not be for others.
My time is probably the most valuable thing I have, I refuse to waste it on those not deserving.

Then why read my post? *laugh*

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island

Jirel, I don't know you personally so don't take this the wrong way.

You can never be sure of the maturity level of any gamers in UO. This kid may be young, and we can all remember when we were young. We did dumb things but we learned from them.

What I get from your story is that some guy was spamming at an EM event. Instead of the EM blocking his text (which I thought they could do) you reply back with a sarcastic response.

That was your first problem. You fought fire with fire instead of just letting it be. In PVP people get egos. I'm not sure why, but some people get as upset about dying in UO as if you told them their girlfriend was cheating on them.

So you replied with a sarcastic comment to an immature person and this is what you get in return.

Is it right? No. But all I'm saying is that your response set off this chain of reactions and next time maybe just try ignoring immature people to begin with.

Know what's funny? While I was reading this, in the back of my mind I could hear the Dean of Students from my 10th grade yr saying "Girl, that smart aleck mouth of yours is going get you in a world of trouble some day."

Now back *COUGH* 20+ years ago when I was 15-16 yrs old I was a smart-mouthed, gum-smacking little pain in the a**. No I never did anything horrendously bad, just always had smart remark for everything....including my parents. I have no explaination for my teenaged bad attitude and I can't remember why; I just was.

Now I'm Thirty- ----On no I'm not saying how old--- I'm pretty much a quiet mellow gal. Now with my close friends and family I cut-up and crack wise, but no attitude problem anymore.

Its really funny that NOW is when my mouth lands me in trouble. There's just a certain ironic humor to it all.
if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every battle. -Sun Tzu

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
I guess the morale of all this is .....get back in game,get back with your friends and start having fun.

Clear your ignore list,and just add any plums as they appear.

Dont let them stop you from having fun YOUR way.

They are obviously enjoying upsetting you,so nip their amusement in the bud once and for all and pretend they are not even there.

I agree with the above comments that nothing gets some one madder than being ignored :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Yup. internet bullying is just like schoolyard bullying in that respect.

If you let em get you mad, it's just what they want.

It is unfortunate, but the guild system in UO lends itself to security breaches and people can feign innocence then stab you in the back as a result...

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts

Then why read my post? *laugh*

Because opinions have value when posted in a non confrontational way. *shrugs*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Archie Newbie

Archie Newbie

[young]

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Because opinions have value when posted in a non confrontational way. *shrugs*

Sorry, bad joke, but at least it was directed at myself. :/

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island
Well I got an anwser today to my reply at EACusthelp dated 7-8-10:

Greetings, and thank you for your email.

As you have threatened legal action regarding this matter we will no longer be able to discuss this issue further. Please advise your legal counsel to contact the Electronic Arts legal team.

Thank you for playing Ultima Online. Take care.

EARep Brutrin
Player Relations
Mythic Entertainment

I guess that tells me where CS stands. The statement in question was a Rhetorical question I never said "I'm gonna sue ya." Look at my first post in this thread you'll see my reply to their reply. This is remarkably sad.

I will keep trying to work with Messana and Cal. :(
if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every battle. -Sun Tzu

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Any company would say the exact same thing, don't take it personally. Once you said that, the CS rep's hands were tied. It's not so much they don't want to help you, but for that .001% chance "things" actually evolved to a lawsuit, any and everything said/emailed/done could be used or construed by a lawyer in a myriad of ways. It's corporate policy, not a personal judgement. Thank our litigious-happy civil society for that. Still, best of luck with getting this freak off your back, whatever channels or means you have to go through.

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

Well I got an anwser today to my reply at EACusthelp dated 7-8-10:

I will keep trying to work with Messana and Cal. :(

Have either of them replied to your email/PM's then ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

Won this title in a raffle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Interesting thread, its always bad to see this kind of stuff going on but as everyone says its about not fuelling the fire. Are you still getting hassle?

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island

Have either of them replied to your email/PM's then ?

I haven't written them yet. I've been sick with some sort of virus. It started with a sore throat and fever then progress to the usual gastrointestinal complains. It finally went away. I want to pick my words carefully. I want to get Messana and Cal on my side not alienate the two of them.

I'm going use emails for the simple reason I do not trust the stratics staff since they have made it abundantly clear they do not believe that this is a problem/issue nor does it even exist.

I like the philosophy of Sun Tzu. He said

the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

I take it to mean if you plan your strategy well then you will have won the war before ever having to fight, but if you just go in head long and fight without a strategy, you've lost before you start.

I figure if if I go into this with a "battle plan" my chances of getting thinks done are much better.

I intended to keep everyone posted on how things progress.