Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

UO, Cyber Bullying, and Harassment

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island
I am sitting here typing this post feeling exasperated and completely helpless. Since the event Saturday night on Legends, I have been repeatedly harassed by the same person. Unfortunately this has become a increasingly worse problem in UO since the addition of the global chat in February.

In my case the perpetrator started out on one char at the event and was misbehaving terribly. He was repeatedly spamming over Queen Dawn. I *try* to RP my char at these events as a loyal knight to the queen. So I said to the "perp" "Shut thy mouth, sir or I shall be forced to take you to Fel and beat you to a bloody pulp." He took this as request to duel and immediately demanded that I duel him at once. I was advised by my guild mates and Allies do NOT duel this person under any circumstances. He is known to use cheats to steal insured and blessed items. He had even openly bragged of doing this in the global chat.

Well fate stepped in before I could answer the perp and my phone rang. I said "AFK phone" and answered my phone. During this time he kept demand that I duel him even with at least 10 or more people telling him I was AFK. When I returned to the computer he was still at Brit Bank demand we duel for suits. I told him I do not wish to duel you and recalled away.

He then began to spam in global chat that I challenged him to a duel and backed out. He refused to shut up. I put him on ignore. Well he apparently continued to rant on and on as I saw several people tell him "dude shut up she don't care, she's put you on ignore."

He then switched chars and started again. Again I put him on ignore. So he switched chars again and again I put him on ignore until my ignore filter filled up. I had to dump it to add his other chars. I finally got disgusted and logged out.

According to my own RL sister (who shares a house with me) and several guild mates he continued to rant at me AFTER I had logged and people were telling him I had logged.

There is NO point in paging a GM because this person as well as several of our other trouble makers are using something to block them from being paged on. They openly laugh about this when someone says "I'm going to page on you". Their reply is "Go ahead NO GM can touch me hahahahaha!" When you do try to page using the Harassment Option you get a message stating the character doesn't exist! If you page using the other issues option the GMs send a canned message to use the harassment option.

Since then every time I log into you this same perp and now his buddies are attacking me in global chat. If you block them they just get on a different chars. The last time I logged into game was Tuesday night. These guys WILL NOT let up. I really don't know what to do. To move my chars would cost me 500 bucks. I have 5 accounts. One has 7 developed chars, three have 6 developed chars on them and one is just a bunch of noobie chars(it just holds house #5 lol). I have offers to come play on other shards. (I will not name the shards for fear of beind followed by the perp and his "pack".)

These same trouble makers have taken over the Legends Shard forum on Stratics to the point they were openly attacking the MODERATORS!

I tried posting about this on stratics since the dev team reads uhall. I was accused of ranting and my post promptly moved to spiels N rants. That was the fourth and final time I will try to post about this issue over there. The global chat has been abused and used for abusing others since it was introduced. Stratics is more concerned in this writer's humble opinion with "kissing up" to the dev team than to have them address an issue that if left unchecked could have serious legal ramifications.

I have tried desperately in vain to communicate with EAMythic about this problem. I posted a question at ea.custhelp.com. asking for chat moderation for the global chat system. Here is a copy of the question, the pathetic answer I got and my reply to that answer. The original question is on the bottom this is as it appears in my question the only change made is I removed my phone number.

Please, please, please can we get some kind of Moderation for the Ultima Online global chat system...

Customer 07/08/2010 12:26 PM
The Moderator WILL NOT allow me to post about this problem on their forum as they simply do not believe it exists. I have tried to post about this issue 4 time and the posts are delete, locked or moved to a sub forum the dev team does not read. I have gotten marks and suspended twice from Stratics forums. What do I have to do? Fly to Virginia and speak to your dev team in person? Does anyone at EA realize that cyberbulling is illegal in most states? Do I have to bring legal action to get your attention? Please I just want to stop the bullying and harassment. I can be reached at ***-***-**** I think a conference call would be a good way to discuss this, and I will be happy to pick up the tab for the conference call.

Response (EA Rep Brutrin) 07/08/2010 04:42 AM
Greetings and thank you for your email.

Though we appreciate your comments, this level of support cannot help with these suggestions. We encourage you to post your opinions and suggestions on the appropriate forum located at UO Stratics - News - Main. Our developers frequent these boards in search of suggestions and very much appreciate your feedback.

EARep Brutrin
Player Relations
Mythic Entertainment

Customer 07/06/2010 09:01 PM
Please, please, please can we get some kind of Moderation for the Ultima Online Global Chat system. I play Legends Shard(server)and since friday night I have been harassed by the same jerk. I put him on ignore and just gets on a different character and starts again. This is a common problem on many shards(servers). I have had past expirence as MIRC chat Moderator. A group of volunteer moderators pulled from your long term playerbase and over 21 yrs of age would greatly solve the problem. I have tried paging a GM but I constantly get the message the character does not exist. I love UO and I want to help it thrive but until someone gets a handle on the griefing situation people will continue to quit.
I, myself am considering closing my accounts after 8 yrs.

I have talked to three different reps. at phone support who all have been appalled and horrified that the in game customer support would not do anything. Unfortunately they could only take a report and pass it on to the CS higher ups.

I am at a loss as to what to do. Does this type of behavior exist on your shard? Does it exist in other MMOs and do their dev teams do nothing as well?

I am deeply concerned that this is snowballing straight into the court system and that this could very well spell the end of MMOs. As of right now 43 states have laws on the book making this behavior illegal. It is called cyber bullying if it directed at a person 17 or younger. If it is directed at an adult (in my case) it is called cyber harassment. As the cost of fighting such a legal battle would prompt software companies such as EA, Blizzard and others to shut down these games rather than fight a lengthy court battle.

Totally and Completely Stunned---

Jirel of Joiry

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
After you put him on ignore, you've done your part. If he is annoying, other people will also put him on ignore. If he is saying stuff about you, your friends will know it's not true. This is how I deal with people in UO that annoy me. He is probably some 9 year old that needs a good spanking. Don't let him get to you. His seeing your reactions and exasperation is just fueling and amusing him to keep at it.
  • Jirel of Joiry likes this

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island

After you put him on ignore, you've done your part. If he is annoying, other people will also put him on ignore. If he is saying stuff about you, your friends will know it's not true. This is how I deal with people in UO that annoy me. He is probably some 9 year old that needs a good spanking. Don't let him get to you. His seeing your reactions and exasperation is just fueling and amusing him to keep at it.

What do you do when he just keeps switching characters, that is getting on new/different characters to continue his rein of harassment? I currently have seven characters blocked that he used before I logged out Tuesday and I haven't been back on. Not only that but he's taken to harassing my sister, guild mates and Guild allies. (How he knows they are my Guild mates and allies is beyond me.) I mean do I just keep blocking until my blocking filter fills up again and I have to go in and empty it again? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, Where do you draw the line and say enough is enough?"

Jirel

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
Welp this may be strange to suggest after all your attempts ... but have you tried emailing Mesanna, Associate Producer .... barmstrong@ea.com .... and send a CC to Calvin Crowner the Producer (I don't have his email handy though) but I do think step over the customer service reps on this one ... and Mesanna does repeatedly say to email her with any serious problems we may be having .... Remember, we pay to play and there are rules to help keep it civil .... we don't pay to be bullied or harassed.

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island

Welp this may be strange to suggest after all your attempts ... but have you tried emailing Mesanna, Associate Producer .... barmstrong@ea.com .... and send a CC to Calvin Crowner the Producer (I don't have his email handy though) but I do think step over the customer service reps on this one ... and Mesanna does repeatedly say to email her with any serious problems we may be having .... Remember, we pay to play and there are rules to help keep it civil .... we don't pay to be bullied or harassed.

OMG! Thank you so much!

:grouphug: :yahoo: :ymca: :wav:

I didn't have the addresses or I would have emailed them. I will get my little fingers busy typing an email to her and will cc it to Calvin Crowner. I wonder if his email address might be ccrowner@ea.com. Its a guess from looking at Mesanna email address.

Thank you sooooo much again, this is very much a step in the right direction! :BoUncY:
if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every battle. -Sun Tzu

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
Send Cal a PM at Stratics. I forget what his login is, but you should be able to find some old posts of his and get his stratics info. He's always been good about replying to my messages there and ages ago, he personally stepped in and got me help when my UO account was hacked.

The other thing you could do is create your own channel in global chat that you and all your friends could use. Should this person try to invade the space, you can protect it with a password.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
You are facing the same people we are facing on Catskills...

The same trash that runs RMT sites...

I got all of his scripters banned since December 09... when his guild twisted a Community Harrower to a "kill the Alliance characters" Event...

Best of luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth

Without The Community You Are Limited

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts
I put this up on the Chesapeake shard. If they think they cannot be touched they are surely mistaken. Whenever they talk in global chat they have number(s) next to their name. Next time when paging on them make sure you do what BTeng has outlined. I know this doesn't really help with you idea for chat moderators but in the meantime is something helpful.

To report someone in the chat channel:

Posted Image BTeng_Mythic
UO Software Engineer

1. Open the Help Menu by clicking on "Help" on the menu bar.
2. Select "Another player is harassing me".
3. Select "Verbal Harassment".
4. Enter a brief description and click on the "Okay" button.
5. Select "Type Player ID's of Involved Players from Chat".
6. Enter the ID numbers of the offending players in chat. (If you see in chat: "<12345678>John: hi" then the ID would be 12345678).
7. GMs will be able to pull chat logs from those ID's and take any necessary action.

Original Post Link

If you guys have any problems in the chat here are the steps you need to take. For those players who are doing the harassment by publicly communicating Real life personal information, using every curse word in the book or taunting players. I strongly suggest reviewing the Ultima Online Terms of Service.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
That was how we banned three of the "fastest" catskills pvpers of all time... so it works.

- their problem... higher pvp skills than IQ, and a big, big loud and dirty mouth...

But the chat isn't the same without their rumblings...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

I am sitting here typing this post feeling exasperated and completely helpless. Since the event Saturday night on Legends, I have been repeatedly harassed by the same person. Unfortunately this has become a increasingly worse problem in UO since the addition of the global chat in February.

Totally and Completely Stunned---

Jirel of Joiry

Europa is the only shard I ever played,and apart from the odd occassion, I have never seen this kind of badmouthing the whole time I played.

I am sorry this goes on for other shards,and after reading the original thread Lord Garteh kindly linked us to, I am to say the least dissappointed

a] that the thread wasnt locked for some of the remarks made there

b] that 2 months down the line the problem hasnt been adressed or even acknowledged by an EA employee.

Queen Mums advice is sound.[as always ]

I hope you get a response this time,as already said Messana seems to always do her best to sort problems.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
One thing to keep in mind is there is a distinction between harassment and stalking. If this nutjob is crossing the line, then the penalties will differ. If/when you email Cal, Bonnie or whomever, try to keep it business outlining dates of incidents, what if any EA staff, such as EM's or GM's, were present or involved and what steps you have taken to remove yourself from the situation and how nutjob has tried to hurdle those steps to continue harassing/stalking you.

I would refrain or avoid including what dastardly things he's said about you, including the duel stuff, rumors, etc. Focus on the dates/events/steps and EA reps(not guildmates or friends) present. Keep it business.

Basically, if EA is going to do something, from issuing a warning to banning him, they most-most probably want to have their butt covered from a legal perspective. They also want to feel it was the right thing to do to deny someone trying to hand them money for the greater good of the other people who want to keep handing them money every month.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
You can always find out where his house on Legends is...

*looks at his purple shoe innocently*
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
hm.. just agree with them that everything they say is 100% true. Eventually they'll get bored and go away.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

damkil316

damkil316

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
You know I can't help but say I feel you are making a mountain out of a mole hill...The simple fix is to ignore them...By responding to them in any way at all either in game or on any forums you are giving them exactly what they want...attention...as long as folks do so they will not stop...by ignoring them you take the fun out of the harrassment...threatening legal action I think is completely rediculous and unecessary of course this is just my opinion...

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

One thing to keep in mind is there is a distinction between harassment and stalking. If this nutjob is crossing the line, then the penalties will differ. If/when you email Cal, Bonnie or whomever, try to keep it business outlining dates of incidents, what if any EA staff, such as EM's or GM's, were present or involved and what steps you have taken to remove yourself from the situation and how nutjob has tried to hurdle those steps to continue harassing/stalking you.

I would refrain or avoid including what dastardly things he's said about you, including the duel stuff, rumors, etc. Focus on the dates/events/steps and EA reps(not guildmates or friends) present. Keep it business.

Basically, if EA is going to do something, from issuing a warning to banning him, they most-most probably want to have their butt covered from a legal perspective. They also want to feel it was the right thing to do to deny someone trying to hand them money for the greater good of the other people who want to keep handing them money every month.

Very sound advice Tancred.Good post.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island

I put this up on the Chesapeake shard. If they think they cannot be touched they are surely mistaken. Whenever they talk in global chat they have number(s) next to their name. Next time when paging on them make sure you do what BTeng has outlined. I know this doesn't really help with you idea for chat moderators but in the meantime is something helpful.

To report someone in the chat channel:

Posted Image BTeng_Mythic
UO Software Engineer

1. Open the Help Menu by clicking on "Help" on the menu bar.
2. Select "Another player is harassing me".
3. Select "Verbal Harassment".
4. Enter a brief description and click on the "Okay" button.
5. Select "Type Player ID's of Involved Players from Chat".
6. Enter the ID numbers of the offending players in chat. (If you see in chat: "<12345678>John: hi" then the ID would be 12345678).
7. GMs will be able to pull chat logs from those ID's and take any necessary action.

Original Post Link

If you guys have any problems in the chat here are the steps you need to take. For those players who are doing the harassment by publicly communicating Real life personal information, using every curse word in the book or taunting players. I strongly suggest reviewing the Ultima Online Terms of Service.

I have paged following those exact steps and I get "player does not exist". I firmly believe thereis some sort of program, cheat, hack or exploit being used to to block these players from being seen or identified by the server.

My sis and I have put our heads together to figure out what it might be so we could find a way to counter it. No luck. What we do have is some pretty good hypothesis. Sis believes it may have something to with the name change tokens and/or shard transfer tokens. We both believe there is something third party involved as well.

Its kind of like a puzzle we have a lot of pieces but we're just not sure how they fit together.

You know what's really frightening about these offenders? Is that many of them display Sociopathic tendencies.

These are the sociopathic tendencies I've seen displayed so far by these perpatrators:

Apparent lack of remorse or empathy for others

Poor behavioral controls — expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper.

Tendency to violate the boundaries and rights of others

Aggressive, often violent behavior; prone to getting involved in fights

Inability to tolerate boredom

Substance abuse*

*I do not have actually first hand knowledge. I do know that several individuals involved in the harassment behavior have bragged about being high-wasted-stoned etc. They have bragged about obtaining illegal drugs too.

I'll be quite blunt some of these characters scare the beejeebus out of me and I don't think they really have any place in the game.
if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every battle. -Sun Tzu

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island

You know I can't help but say I feel you are making a mountain out of a mole hill...The simple fix is to ignore them...By responding to them in any way at all either in game or on any forums you are giving them exactly what they want...attention...as long as folks do so they will not stop...by ignoring them you take the fun out of the harrassment...threatening legal action I think is completely rediculous and unecessary of course this is just my opinion...

That was a threat made out of 100% flustration. Have you ever just said something because you were so gosh darn flustrated?

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

That was a threat made out of 100% flustration. Have you ever just said something because you were so gosh darn flustrated?

Hum... "go back to your moms, you arent the woman I married with" ? =)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry

Yes, I am a Blonde!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMinion Island

Hum... "go back to your moms, you arent the woman I married with" ? =)

LOL That's funny! What did your wife say?

Oriana

Oriana

Guildmistress, Gentle Rest Inn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

LOL That's funny! What did your wife say?

"Go home to your dad's! You aren't the man I married."