Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Live Event - In the Shadow of Virtue: Rise of the Bane Chosen

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Live Event - In the Shadow of Virtue: Rise of the Bane Chosen
Bane Chosen forces are battling the Ophidians in the lost lands. Players may join either side and the faction will reward them for their help. Both sides are most appreciative of players who push back the front line of the enemy (look for the army battle flag to find the front line). Speak with the recruiters in each faction camp to find out what they are fighting about. For each point of loyalty that you gain with a faction at war, you will lose 3 points of loyalty with their enemy so it does not pay to switch sides often. “Peril bonus” is a bonus to loyalty gain (and loss) when other players are assisting the enemy army. Double clicking the flag at each faction’s front line will tell you the progress of the spawn. Special quests are available at the faction camp when players reach 2000 loyalty to that faction. Special rewards are available if players assist a faction in routing the other faction from the field, but be warned, these armies are stubborn and will return! Quests are not available while a faction is routed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Who are the Good guys?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
I was wondering if they were drawing from the next Ultima Games, namely Ultima 7. The second part of Ultima 7 was Serpents Isle where I believe the Ophidians were introduced. I also googled Bane and Ultima and she seems to be an acolyte associated with daemons or something.

I really need to play Ultima 7 and Ultima 8. Perhaps I'll do that while training boring skills in UO.

Nimuaq

Nimuaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
They are both bad and scary so I think it's really up to you to choose sides:

Bane Chosen says Ophidians killed their families while Ophidians say they want peace with the humans and the Bane Chosen army attacked them unprovoked for their crystalline blackrock.

I'm planning on supporting ophidians with one char while joining the bane chosen with the other. Also, the "war chests" on the ground tells there are some rewards (possibly a cloak and a talisman, again, the third time since I saw some bags with relic frags inside so the reward system seems pretty much the same as the two other events before this one.)

The pitchers have cliloc errors on the Test Center by the way but thats already on the publish notes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
..I, like you, once desired my freedom from the limits placed on me. I watched in disgust as this world became engrossed with the preaching of virtue and none of the practice..

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
Thanks to Nimuaq for the quick summary of each side's explanation of why they are fighting.

Can someone who has played on Test Center confirm if you gain or lose Karma from either side?

Karma isn't a perfect determinant of what's good and what's evil in the game, but it's a good start and it's among the better determinants we have.

Some of my fellow RPers like to ignore it, but I argue that we ignore it only at our peril.

-Galen's player

Nimuaq

Nimuaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
Here I documented all I find out so far: In the Shadow of Virtue - Rise of the Bane Chosen - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

..and a stupid relic fragment for defeating Ophidians on my own. My loyalty rating was below 2k when I received the reward, so it might effect the drop. (I saw a lot of bags with relic frags in it around the chests before too)

I gain a lot of karma for killing Ophidians while I was on Bane Chosen side and neither lose nor gain any karma for killing my fellow Bane Chosen recruits. The same way, I didnt lose any karma for killing Bane Chosen while I was on Ophidian side.

There are quests which I havent done yet (I got really bored and tired while raising by loyalty rating which is needed to be 2k to get the quests). They all require crystalline blackrock which you can gather while killing top level monsters of either side.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
..I, like you, once desired my freedom from the limits placed on me. I watched in disgust as this world became engrossed with the preaching of virtue and none of the practice..

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Here I documented all I find out so far: In the Shadow of Virtue - Rise of the Bane Chosen - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

..and a stupid relic fragment for defeating Ophidians on my own. My loyalty rating was below 2k when I received the reward, so it might effect the drop. (I saw a lot of bags with relic frags in it around the chests before too)

I gain a lot of karma for killing Ophidians while I was on Bane Chosen side and neither lose nor gain any karma for killing my fellow Bane Chosen recruits. The same way, I didnt lose any karma for killing Bane Chosen while I was on Ophidian side.

There are quests which I havent done yet (I got really bored and tired while raising by loyalty rating which is needed to be 2k to get the quests). They all require crystalline blackrock which you can gather while killing top level monsters of either side.

Thank you.

:)

So far I think Galen's going to take the same course he took during the long-ago Orc/Savage scenario (The Savage Empire).

Decide both are threats, and kill them both equally.

The Bane may be human but they seem REALLY aggressive, and how long before they get to gargoyles or elves?

On GL we had an EM event cycle called "The Brothers of Valor," with the titular villains being a group of Human Supremacists, not unlike RL White Supremacists. So far the Bane seem very similar to them. Now, granted, Galen might also kill orcs and ophidians at will....But from that dialogue the Bane so far seems deliberately malicious, for malice's sake. I suspect they won't sit right with Galen when he meets them....Even if there's also no good reason to think the Ophidians suddenly want peace.

Thanks again.

-Galen's player

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
So dumb question here? Is this just on test center for now or has it actually hit the shards?
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

So dumb question here? Is this just on test center for now or has it actually hit the shards?

Test Center.

-Galen's player

Nimuaq

Nimuaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
The quest of the Bane Chosen is Dragon Food - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia. So you can ride those Bane Dragons which look like blackrock Swamp Dragons but I havent tried yet.

I also think that it can be a great fun to fight with either side with a large group of RPers. It's just boring to fight alone (as always).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
That is the plan, just trying to pick the right side...

And you did an AMAZING JOB!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
Has anyone played Ultima 7 or Ultima 8? I played up to 6 and just obtained copies of the various parts of 7, thus I just began playing it. I wonder if the Banes have anything to do with the character Bane, who apparently makes an appearance in Ultima 8.

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
This event sound very interesting. I look forward to it hitting production shards.

A big thanks to Nimuaq for gathering all that information on UOGuide.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Guido

Guido

Ultima Franchise Managing Editor and Site Moderator

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts

Has anyone played Ultima 7 or Ultima 8? I played up to 6 and just obtained copies of the various parts of 7, thus I just began playing it. I wonder if the Banes have anything to do with the character Bane, who apparently makes an appearance in Ultima 8.

I've played the whole series, and the info on the wiki is very much what you would call "long story short".

What they called "sorcery" in 8, which Bane taught to the avatar, would most closely resemble spellweaving in UO. I don't know that I would have called her evil, per se, but she was VERY ambitious. She did acknowledge, in the end, that the avatar was her better, but now that LB is out of the picture (ok, he has been for a while) now would be an ideal time for her to practice a little more self promotion. It's a hard call to tell if the two story lines are in any way related, though, as I haven't looked at what's happening on the UO side of things. I don't recall her having been aligned with any of the super-baddies like Minax, so I don't really see a tie in there.

Esse Quam Videri
Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

fs_pc.png

Lady Luck

Lady Luck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
I like the event and there appear to be a lot of players on either side on my shard.

Not a huge fan of constantly losing loyalty points because the NPCs on "my team" keep attacking my pets, however.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
I hoped the party one is helping would stop to attack you when you hit 2k loyalty points. Isn't that the case?

Playing on Drachenfels? Speaking German? Tired of exploring Sosaria alone?

Check us out: www.semperfidelis.de or sent me a pm

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Prolly the Banites hate reptiles so much that they kill all on sight...

(so much for my logic if they attack Cusidhes)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lady Luck

Lady Luck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Prolly the Banites hate reptiles so much that they kill all on sight...

(so much for my logic if they attack Cusidhes)

My friends & I have done it with Cu sidhes & Greater Dragons, both sides attack pets and our friend who got to 2k first said they were still attacking his Greater even at higher point levels.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
this is prolly a test...

... for the real battle between Queen Dawn and the Gargoyle Queen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

this is prolly a test...

... for the real battle between Queen Dawn and the Gargoyle Queen.

I hope not, there'd be next to no in-character reason for that, indeed no in-character reason at all, and it'd make certain things way too problematic.

-Galen's player