Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Do people who PvP know much against PvM?

- - - - - people pvm pvp

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Araevin

Araevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Just wondering if people out there who PvP go PvM's in Tram sometimes? I only ask this because (I know this was a while ago) during the whole void shadow thing a lot of people who PvP were telling us how do kill it and they did not know what they were talkign about. They thought they could tank the thing or just run around like in PvP. The same tactics used in PvP. They thought their gank squad would kill the thing in a few minutes. Needless to saw many of them got killed and would not listen to any of our tactics. Then we were told to go to Fel and they would show us how to play UO....lol.... Not talking smack here. Just want to know if you PvP go PvM sometimes or are you addicted to or love PvP so much that you do not do anything else.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Yes.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Mercenary

Mercenary

i refuse to flex!!

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
I think you're generalizing Pvp players too much. People who know the differences of pvp and pvm aren't going to bring their pvp built characters to a pvm event, unless they know they can handle it. The people you witnessed were probably just some dumbasses claiming to be elite, they do not represent true pvper's.

If anything, good pvper's are better at pvm than most people who just pvm. This being the case because a good pvper knows how to stay alive in situations where you're fighting a free thinking indvidual that is capable of making choices and decisions that effectively will try to kill you as quickly as possible. When you're fighting some random monster, they don't have that ability, they're just doing what the program has calculated them to do.

Now, I do both, and I have characters that can be successful in both areas, however, i know my one elite pvp characters is designed solely for pvp tactics, and would get owned in pvm situations. So for PvM, i'll just bring a mage or my bush/chiv warrior, for pvp either of those two, then my nox/macer.

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
I agree with Mercenary. PvPers do know how to stay alive.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
thats exactly right merc. also alot of pvpers do champ spawns which are often more difficult than most pvm situations. in a spawn you are overloaded with difficult mobs that most pvmers will usually not get themselves into. not downgrading any pvmers, its just that pvpers tend to be a bit more on edge...hehe..

I pvmed for a long time before I pvped and now since I have done pvp for almost 3 yrs now, I find that it made me a better pvmer. It may not be the same for everyone, but it has given me a better sense of my surroundings.

also, right now i have a baby in 1 hand and am typing with the other so i apologize for any mistakes in grammar or sense here..hehe

Mercenary

Mercenary

i refuse to flex!!

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
You know, on further thought, if these PvP'ers tried to treat the void shadow as a champ spawn, that is probably why they got owned. Normally what leads up to a champ is what is most difficult, and not the champ itself, however in this situation, the void shadow was ridiculously strong. They probably just assumed he was just another champ, and thus, got their asses handed back to them.

Araevin

Araevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Thx for the repsonses and I see the points you are making and the void shadow was rediculously strong. Maybe most PvP are used to dieing so much... hehehehe.... I guess being a trammit you get used to it....lol...whether in tram and especially in Fel...lol

Evil Ninja Troll

Evil Ninja Troll

I paint Cats.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
I was there on chesapeake too Araevin, and I know why you ask this question. It was funny to see the "leet" rush in and get their butts handed to them, and then leave and recall away and not be seen again.
Evil will always conquer over good, because good is dumb.

Araevin

Araevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Ok then I was not the only one who saw it there...lol....and anotehr thing a lot of PvP templates do not work as well in PvM since in PvM there is basically no damage cap. When I brought my Pally to a champ spawn in Fel I was by myself and got through 2/3 of the spawn then got smoked easily when i left and a red came after me...lol...all in all the void shadow was a little of a puzzle and it disappointed me to see the "leet" not stick around and try to solve it.

Arjuna

Arjuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
If it is possible to make a generalization on something like this (I doubt that would be sound), I would say that pk's tend to make lousy pvm'ers, and pvp'ers tend to make okay pvm'ers.

The reason is pk's don't have to become terribly good at self healing since they're all about dirty killing.

Pvp'ers tend to be better at self healing since they tend to be more balanced on offense and defense.

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
I agree with Arjuna. There is a big difference in PK's and PvP'ers.

I have known players that have scripted up thier skills and went to be PK's. Never really learning how the skills work, especially in PvM situations. I think more of the PvP'ers trained the skills up, usually in Tram dungeons, and learned the characters better.

But I'm just a Trammie so what do I know? :grin:

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

Mercenary

Mercenary

i refuse to flex!!

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
Well, most pk's can't pvm cause they'll be killed onsight if they try to participate :P

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Tuk, I agree with what you're saying to a point. Not all pkers are unaware of their skills, there are true pkers who know the ins and outs completely of this game, and just choose to kill people. Yes, pvpers tend to be more balanced in their offenses and defenses, they can handle spawns and at a moments notice can turn their focus to people without missing a beat. That in my opinion, takes more skill than just pking..

Arjuna

Arjuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Again, this is all generalizations, but i've seen the best bands of pk's in the shard get clobbered by what 2 or 3 pvm'ers can handle alone just fine.

PK'ers tend to be really good at a lot of damage really fast. But high end pvm is about sustained damage, so without a surprise kill or a meat shield, even bands of pk's don't tend to be as good at pvm or even close.

And I don't consider dropping EV's skilled pvm. Good pvm mages, for example, can kill a shadow wyrm, a lich lord, a demon, a revenant, a couple of drakes and wyverns and a bone knight solo in an enclosed space using ebolts, lightning, harm, cure and mini-heals and no EV's. Good pvm warriors can handle paragon succubi toe to toe, etc.

Very few pk's ever achieve that level of mastery without meat shields or ev's. Heck, very few pvm'ers do initially, but those are the ones who eventually reach that stage whereas the pk's are unlikely to ever reach that stage.

PVM is a lot about sustained battles. PK'ing is not. PVP is, too, and unless the PK is also a pvp'er, a whole band of PK's can't pull off what pvm'ers can pull off.

RMS Carpathia

RMS Carpathia

Madien of the Great Blue

• Members
  • 2,443 posts
This is an intresting topic... though I suck a PvM so I am still at stage 1 =P

-RMS Carpathia-
Posted Image

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Posted Image

I see PvPers going toe to toe in close quarter battle here and staying alive. Its not so much a templete of PvM or PvP, but its the individual player using his ability and experience to stay alive and win.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cabe Bedlam

Cabe Bedlam

Master of Magic, no really I'm serious

• Members
  • 1,782 posts
Here's a question, if you where out soloing about and you decided to check out a spawn with mixed red and blues, I take it you'd get ganked pretty fast? I managed to survive with my stealth/archer, but that was cause I was hiding pretty well. I'm just curious because I always avoid the spawns

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
That varies depending on which group of reds and blues.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Araevin

Araevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Most reds will look to smoke you if you are by yourself or fighting a monster for the easy insurance money. Especially if you are fighting a monster since you will be fighting a battle on a minimum 2 fronts.

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Most reds will look to smoke you if you are by yourself or fighting a monster for the easy insurance money. Especially if you are fighting a monster since you will be fighting a battle on a minimum 2 fronts.

The same can be said about any blue who see's a Red killing monsters, idoc sitting, or even just trying bank. When Blues and Reds are working a spawn, usually the Red are providing security. In short, it all comes down to wether they know you and/or like you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: people, pvm, pvp