Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Define a GIMP....lol

- - - - - define gimplol

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Araevin

Araevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
It's funny how people call certain skills or actiosn gimpy in the game. I myself have been accused of being gimpy using the evasion skill on my warrior. The funny thing is I never use it when 1 on 1 or sometimes even 2 on 1. But when facing a gank squad it's what kept me a live longer to do some damage. So, let's hear what a gimp is....lol.....someone once told me that gimps are usually the last ones standing....lol.....

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't pvp, but what some people call "gimp", I call "efficient"
hehe

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
I say a gimp is someone who changes their template every patch to find out which way to abuse ingame mechanics. You will see it EVERY patch. "Wait a sec, he was an archer, then a necro/mage, and now an evasion/mage" That to me is a complete and total gimp.

Mercenary

Mercenary

i refuse to flex!!

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
Just to clarify before you read this post, I am not trying to offend anyone with this post, just in case you happen to get offended. :)

It's one thing to change your template to fit what's available, then it's another if ur using some script to help you. Personally, people who yell out gimp for anything that is allowed in game should stfu. If it's legal, then let em' be. I've seen people complain about others who drink a pot. So basically you're telling me, anything that can keep someone alive longer, that has been in game since day 1, is gimp?

The game, as well as life in general, is about adapting to your circumstances. That's what makes it fun. However, if you're using some "exploit, or hack" to give you an advantage over someone, then in my eyes, that's gimp. If you're doing something that no one else can do legally, then you're gimp.

If something legal does get out of hand, they change it, and then people adapt and find a new template. I know a lot of people just like to vent out their frustrations, but saying something is unfair, because someone took the time to get a good template is bs. Rather than claim something is unfair, adapt yourself to counter it, or work harder to get better, in general. If you don't wanna do that, quit UO, or stay in tram, pretty simple :)

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
I agree with Mercenary. If none of us changed our templetes, we would all still be plain warriors.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tovladian Soltyr

Tovladian Soltyr

Timeless Treasures Co-Owner

• Members
  • 1,521 posts
GIMP = Maddux O.o :P j/k bro :P lol

For the most part GIMP is another way of saying "Flavor of the Week", anything that's gimp is mainly just anything that can beat others if you want to boil down to it.

Potions are gimp
Mages are gimp
WoD archers were gimp
WoD's were gimp
Deadly Poison Dexxers are Gimp
Necro's are Gimp
Holy Light users are gimp
Whatever kills them when they don't use it themselves is gimp lol.
Posted Image
Timeless Treasures Auctions on Legends Grand Re-Opening to be announced - Contact me for more info

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
No, I am not saying changing your template is gimp. I am saying the people who change them EVERY patch when their last gimp template gets nerfed, to the newest powerful template. The one with the "one bug" where it puts them ahead of others. The people that you dont see for the first few days after a template got a nerf, who are busy building their new templates, that they learned how to power-kill on test center. That is what I am talking about.

Mercenary

Mercenary

i refuse to flex!!

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
I know what you mean, but you can't fault someone for having the time to do that. All you can say is way to go there slick, your life revolves around a computer game so much that you have the time to do that! and then leave it at that. Personally, I pity those that do that, instead of hate on them.

On another note, I do know a few people who have been playing for the last 9 years who have every skill GM'ed or 120'ed on stones that can transfer them back and forth to pretty much create whatever character they want in no time at all.

It takes a lot of work to be the best in something, and there are always going to be haters, but I take the view of saying, good for you man, you're better than I am at UO, then I log off and go do other things :)

edit: forgot to mention that Tov basically defined GIMP in all it's glory. So yea, there's ur answer to the thread question, haha.

Kratos Aurion

Kratos Aurion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I dont know but it seems like grammor in America is off the fritz. If everyone compares the term "gimp" to a certain person or template in Ultima, shouldn't you know what it means before you use it?

The dictionary is a good place to start:grin:

Tovladian Soltyr

Tovladian Soltyr

Timeless Treasures Co-Owner

• Members
  • 1,521 posts
Lol well as we know not everything means the same thing in all aspects. Just like the term Cracker...

That could mean Soup Cracker, Ritz Cracker, A term used by other races to refer to a white person, ect...it mainly just depends on who is saying it.

Dictionary term for Gimp I mean that's if you can really pick on it only has like umteen dozen meanings and that's just using the dictionary term...what about ebonics? Lets not have this coversation please lol cause really in the way this world is right now red could mean blue if someone wants it to enough lol.
Posted Image
Timeless Treasures Auctions on Legends Grand Re-Opening to be announced - Contact me for more info

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
I know people who have these skills on standby, and use them when they want to. But I know particular people, but I wont name names, as I have faught with them and against them, I dont like them, but they are proud of what they do. They hear the word "nerf is coming" they freak out, go to test center and spend a day or so doing everything they can to try to figure out what is going to be the next exploiting of ingame mechanics. They dont cheat, they dont hack. But they pack their templates with stuff that isnt quite "out" yet. Like a combo that will work great in their favor, so they perfect excecuting it and bring it back with them so they can impliment it on their shards with their new template.

People run and cry how evasion/mages are gimp, well it may be according to peoples opinions, but I say if the skills are there, then why not make em work. It is not exploiting some hidden mechanic, like the double shot from the yumi eariler this year. It sucks to fight, but its a legal template.

You just have to be able to get right back and deal with it and learn how to beat those flavor of the months templates... 3/5 of my pvp chars have the same template theyve been running with since day 1. the 2 others I later got some gear and finally could do it and made the chars I always wanted to do, a 4/6 chiv/mage/spellweaver spawning character, and a nox/ninjitsu/macer interrupter/pain in the butt/ probably will be called gimp, but its fun to play for me..

Terrance

Terrance

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
A mage holding a shield is gimp. Period.
A mage holding a shield and a spellbook at once is just absurd.
The simple fix to most gimp templates? Remove passive effect of meditation.
No more evasion spam, harm spam, wither spam.
Scale back death strike and nerve strike so you no longer think "Oh gee, I just got hit by death strike, may as well get up and go grab a Coke since this peevee encounter is over."

But in closing, what is gimp?
Gimp is any addition to combat that forces you to "adopt & adapt" or give up.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hell I was called gimp because I used two pets and peacemaking to kill stuff, heh
I guess people have a different understanding or concept of being a gimp.

RMS Carpathia

RMS Carpathia

Madien of the Great Blue

• Members
  • 2,443 posts
Gimp

1. a flat trimming of silk, wool, or other cord, sometimes stiffened with wire, for garments, curtains, etc.
2. a coarse thread, usually glazed, employed in lacemaking to outline designs.
3. a limp.
4. a person who limps; lame person.
–verb (used without object) 3. to limp; walk in a halting manner: a sprain that made her gimp for weeks.
5. slender; trim; delicate.
6. scant; barely sufficient.
7. A narrow flat braid or rounded cord of fabric used for trimming. Also called guimpe, guipure.
8. disability of walking due to crippling of the legs or feet [syn: lameness, limping, gimpiness, gameness, claudication]

Got all this stuff from: http://dictionary.re...com/browse/gimp

I have always heard of it as for someone who is limping as some of the definitions above or someone who has problems walking, but I personally wouldn't use the word... for anything. Just never liked the sound of it myself but many use it.

Most people I heard using it (in games only have I actually heard it being used) Is just someone who... well depends on how they "word" it.

"Man your so Gimp." - Saying they stink at what they are doing. Or maybe they are jelious of what another person can do or what another person has as far as items go and would make them say that...

lol, again I never found reason to say it myself. I guess it is whatever you think it means ^_^

-RMS Carpathia-
Posted Image

Terrance

Terrance

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
The term's use in-game, to my understanding, comes from the last definition you listed, as it's an off hand reference to "crutch".

Someone needs to use this or do that because they lack any real skill, therefor whatever suddenly makes them a factor is a crutch for them to get around on, hence they're "gimp". *shrugs*

I rezkill. I'm beyond gimp.

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Ouch, professional rezkiller huh? hehe. There are times for it, and times not for it. If its during a spawn, hell yes, it is fair game. But if you are dueling, or run into a 1v1 fight in the middle of nowhere, its just common courtesy to do it, say good game and go on your way.

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Exactly, about the crutch. There are folks who cant adapt with their templates, so they have to change them every patch, because their crutch they were using just got pulled out from under them. They now need to find a new crutch, and change everything up. A good pvper will adapt and adjust to new changes and find a way to make their chosen templates work. Not re-learn something new every few months because they arent top dog with their crutches anymore.. Perfect examples of this crap is go to Yew on ANY shard and look at the most actively present guilds or people, the ones who hug the gate, or a house right next to it. That is a gimp..

Terrance

Terrance

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
Rezkilling is my character's way of dealing with the murderers and those who are simply filth in his effort to deliver Justice in his own way. Waiting at the Magincia moongate to cut down a murderer as they resurrect is swift and efficient. Murderers do not deserve right of safe passage simply because they've recently fallen, in my character's eyes.

That and it's just plain amusing to me as a player when I get the "OMFG U TRAM ALL TEH WAY U NOOB HAV 2 RK UR A SCRUB I HAET U TERNANCE!!11uno uno".

It's Felucca. Not schoolyard recess.

Araevin

Araevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Too funny. like someone said before, the biggest gimps have to be the house gankers. Especially the ones who talk smack how they own you when they just stay in house. I ran naked w/ my character to draw him out when he came out he got ganked and ran OOoo OOO ooo ooo all the way home....lol

Araevin

Araevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Oh yes and let us not forget the Yew gate hugger that calls the guards just inthe nick of time to save himslef from dying in a 1 on 1 fight