Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

What will you do once UO shuts down? Planning for the future

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Copenhagen

Copenhagen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I would hate to see this site go, it is one of the few that i can access from work. When i was deployed to Iraq it was my only link to keep updated on what was going on in UO.
I would play an UOF server

Cabe Bedlam

Cabe Bedlam

Master of Magic, no really I'm serious

• Members
  • 1,782 posts

Of course I'd continue playing UO, reguardless of who keeps it going, but the best option would be a UOF, "UO" Server, free or not, I would be more than happy to pay.
Now keep in mind, when EA finally decides to let UO go,.. they wont just turn it off, they'll sell it to the highest bidder, whom will gladly keep UO going "as is" and whom will gladly accept our monthly subscription cost's.
So you see, the current UO will never really shut down, it will just have a new owner.

I would be very sad if the forums were gone, like Adri I come here more for you all then I do for ultima related stuff; tough I definitly think its an awesome resource for the game and others.
I think if everyone here were playing on a dedicated free shard, I'd be much more motivated to play UO.

On a side note, what if RG got the rights back for UO?:huh

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

On a side note, what if RG got the rights back for UO?:huh

TBH, looking at EA's past, and precedents previously set, I think the chance of that is equally big as the chance of Easter and Christmas falling on the same day! :(
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

ezeedee

ezeedee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
id probably quit again. my life always seems to get busy when i start playing uo.

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

id probably quit again. my life always seems to get busy when i start playing uo.

LOL! One advantage of a free-shard is that it doesn't cost money (unless you voluntarily donate!), so even if you only manage to log in 10 mins in 2 months (as is my UO score for the last two months!), at least it isn't wasted money! ;)
BD Sig New

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Well.. no short answer *chuckles*
1) UO is not replaceable and something as good as uo won't come within the next 20 yrs as the gaming industry brings up asiagrinder "MMO"s only. Also many people these days have VERY wired expectations of RP. Well better say most people just don't know what RP is actually and an I cannot friend myself with MMOs without RP. Furthermore, developments goes to more ultra-cheap webgames and such, and as long people don't want quality in games, nothing like uo will come at all. this is a good reason to hate human beings if you like to ;)
2) I know few very good UO RP shards in Germany. Rich of features never seen in UO.
However there are classic UO freeshards around, too. But I think I would switch to one of those great RP servers, which are based on UO technology. Some even based on the original story.
3) I would start a hate-campain against EA and never buy one of their games anymore.
tha past showed that EA messed up every game they bought. We are very lucky that uo is as it is now. Maybe uo is this good because it wasn't build by EA from ground *chuckles again*
4) I would be very sad to loose contact with the great RP community on Europa shard.
5) If there would be the option to buy uo from EA I would do it and give it much more RP support than ever seen.
6) If EA would do better advertising for UO it would never die - I know so many people who don't like any of the latest MMOs because of the dedication of them to suck out your moneybag without providing any good experience.
7) If ever would come a new version of uo - it would need to be as much as the original. I could even imagine it in real 3D but no graphics engine on this world can render a world that would satisfy my expectations right now. Current engines are good but still look to plasticdoll like. It would be horrifing to implement such a rich world with good graphics and would consume endless goldcoins ;(
Summary)
I would move on to another uo based RP-freeshard and would go and brun down EA. Anyone with me then?

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

I would move on to another uo based RP-freeshard and would go and brun down EA. Anyone with me then?

Bring out the torches and pitch-forks! =)

But... Could that freeshard possibly be an UOF run shard? (The sole question you haven't answered, which makes up 50% of the original question! :P)
BD Sig New

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Bring out the torches and pitch-forks! =)

But... Could that freeshard possibly be an UOF run shard? (The sole question you haven't answered, which makes up 50% of the original question! :P)

Indeed.. forgot about that while practicing hating EA ;)
1) UOF to freeshard forum would be great
2) depending on the servers software I would even like to help scripting things. I had some experience with SphereServer and RunUO in the past.
Anyhow if it is a freeshard I would come as long as it is pro RP ;)

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Hum... count me in.

After 26 years DMing d&d... I guess stop playing will be impossible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mathena

Mathena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Hum... count me in.

After 26 years DMing d&d... I guess stop playing will be impossible.

hmmmmm *thinks real hard*

please don't give him a password......he makes way too much work for me and you know he will attempt shard domination. He is famous for that you know. :kiss:

But then again.....who will I throw the fishes at :'(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

If all histroy and work that's been put down in the RP communites would be destroyed, I believe many people would be unmotivated to start allover again. And I would understand them. But again, it would be the only option left if anyone would wish to continue with UO.

True, but no one would be starting from scratch.
Guilds and player run towns would be heavily supported and encouraged.
If there was a dispute as to who owns what town (say trinsic or vesper), we could simply replicate the trammel or felucca map and make it another facet.

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

hmmmmm *thinks real hard*

please don't give him a password......he makes way too much work for me and you know he will attempt shard domination. He is famous for that you know. :kiss:

But then again.....who will I throw the fishes at :'(

Well... Limit his access... ;)
BD Sig New

Gman

Gman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hopefully it doesn't happen soon, but EA will eventually pull the plug on UO just as they're doing with their less-than-profitable games today.

Co-Optimus - News: EA Server Shutdown March 2010 - LOTR Conquest, Army of Two (Asia)

That will eventually be the fate of UO when it ceases to make sufficient profits to keep it afloat. Though, seeing the response to SA and the renewed vigor in the game (not comparable to AoS, but nice nonetheless) I don't think that is a worry for many years to come.

Still, there is what seems to be equivalent content in the player-run shards now. Not hard to find em but I wonder how they keep from getting EA all over them with lawsuits and whatever.

Hildebrand

Hildebrand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Depressing thread.
I thought we weren't allowed to speak about *gasp* freeshards. :icon_eek:

Has Calvin's letter put anyone's fears to rest? I don't think it's changed anything, but it's nice to hear from them.

I don't know how I'd feel about a freeshard. Never thought about it.
I don't visit UOF much mainly cause I'm overloaded from Stratics and I forget to visit here (sorry).
Perhaps many others are in same situation as me and they forget to come here. But thanks to Adam sending the emails about certain interviews, I am reminded to come for a visit.

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

Not hard to find em but I wonder how they keep from getting EA all over them with lawsuits and whatever.

*shrugs* probably because they've let them be for too long to be certain of a win in court now.
NOT winning in court would be worse than letting things be, and at least have everybody treading lightly...
BD Sig New

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Theres no return on the investment.

Even if they win, EA will simply get them to shut down, and won't produce an increase in profits, so they're still out the legal fees.

Gman

Gman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
That is very true, and like torrent sites, its plenty easy to relocate the server and try again.

Sandman

Sandman

Whispering Rose Radio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
To get to the subject asked by Adam....

1) What are your thoughts on UOForums switching to a "Pro Freeshard" forum? and in paticular...

Answer.....Adam you could change UOForums into anything and I will follow!!!

2) What are your thoughts on joining a freeshard run by UOForums?

Answer.....If UOForums was to run a freeshard I would be fighting to get in line!!!

to sum it up........

Well folks, I have been a Ultima Online Player from when it started and the people that play this game is and has been what really has me locked in. Doing Deal or No Deal UO Style is always a blast for me and Howie and the events that Ultima Online players run and now the EM run events has really turned Ultima Online into the #1 game as it used to be. I do hope EA will keep it going or sell it to a company or group that will carry the torch forever. If EA were to close down Ultima Online I hope that the free shard idea will keep it alive which means that you have to keep UOForums going no matter what Adam.

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia
I'm sad that I do not have time lately to come to DoND, as it is always fun! (I'm just exhausted lately and it *is* after midnight for me...)
I hope DoND can make it to an UOF shard, though I guess the prices will be lower, unless Adam & co allow the economy to go as out of hand as Origin/EA/Mythic have...

And as for keeping UOF going, no matter what, that's also up to the members!

EDIT:
PS: Howie, it is Sir Lir (or Llyr), and rhymes with here! *sheesh* =)
BD Sig New

Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth

Without The Community You Are Limited

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts