Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

What will you do once UO shuts down? Planning for the future

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia
I think I have to take the Ebil One's™ side on this one!
(What horror! And I didn't even drink tea today... Oh wait! They tricked me in to one this morning at breakfast!)
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

Riboflavin

Riboflavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
I don't know what I'd do. Maybe return to rl. But after such a long time playing UO it's hard to imagine a time "after" it.
But it would be sad to see UOForums to turn to a complete free shard forum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ozog

ozog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
mees will prolly bees dead , 63 now sooooooo.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
I've been doing RL for a very longtime and it's not all it's cracked up to be......:-P

1).This is a gaming site, not strictly a UO site, so yes I'd be here.
2). I'd play a UOF freeshard, just to keep up with my UO friends.
3). Have a Founders account with LOTRO, so I'll play that till they pull that plug.
4). Prob play some DDO, but only the free version.

BUt the good news is I don't see UO shutting the doors for a while. It's still making money, not losing money.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
Wow, tough question. *IF* I played a freeshard, it would only be a UOF one.

EA certainly won't surrender an IP like UO - maybe they would be working on UO2 - which I might consider. However, no other MMO even comes close to garnering my interest right now. Not even Eve, which one of our EA/Mythic friends has moved to.

Now, if EA wanted to sell UO to someone else in order to recoup some of their recent fiscal reductions - I'd be cautious but interested. I can't see that happening, but you never know.

[SIGPIC]http://www.uoforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic8169_1.gif[/SIGPIC]

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
I'm an EVE player these days. I keep my main UO account active for when I want to go banksit for a while, but I rarely do anything with my time ingame.
People (including myself) have been incorrectly predicting the end of UO for ages. Since the player surge of AOS ended, the final end has always just been 'a year or two away'.
I remember several years ago telling one of my friends that I would be on Chesapeake until the moment the server went down for the last time. The way its looking, I've got a long time to go.
But, if UO does for some reason go down the drain, I'd definitely be in favor of a UOF Freeshard. (Assuming of course I'm given the title of Grand Exalted Overlord and Divine Master of the Lizardmen :P)

Seriously though, I'd like UOF to stay around even then. With the community we have now, a great and populated freeshard could be born of the established playerbase.

But again, UO is a plague that will never die.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

DVI

DVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
I hardly believe UO will be shut down anytime in the near future. EA/Mythic will keep the game going as long as they're turning a profit, which from what I've observed there's been a recent influx of new players and returning players.

Were it to happen soon though I would most likely turn to a Free shard as I've been unable to find another comparable game, although were there to be one out there I'd certainly consider it.

I would also hope that uoforums or something similar would still exist if not necessarily for the EA version of the game but for general discussion of UO for free shards. Obviously if people are on different shards there would be differences in their games and experiences but I think a general discussion forum would still be beneficial.

Pop_L

Pop_L

LORD Pop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Can I have all my char copied over to the free shard???

http://www.uoforums.com/imagehosting/84714654786419971.bmp

and occasionally RABBITS :grin:

Sebrina

Sebrina

Legendary Medium

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
When UO finally goes, I still have my AD&D books - I'll revert back to the king of roleplay games before we had the internet. I can always play that one with dice (bell), book and candle when the power grid goes down around the country and the "Oh, so unstable Internet" crashes as well.

What do you think? Will the lights go out? EA seems to have almost planned the demise of UO. I'm almost gone as it is....so shall fade into the history, but shall never forget. Just as this game captured my attention by it's content of the Virtues from Richard Gariot, so that content can be recaptured without the internet again in great campaigns in Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.

Even with such games as this and that, the rule context can become overwhelming with (too much) diversity, and UO has become such. Too many rules, too much information, loss of roleplay in lieu of character and item stats have turned it into a meat market...such as what we used to call a "Monty-Hall Dungeon Adventure," back in the days.

My estimates are that most of the youngsters that are playing this game, never actually sat down and read "The Hobbit," and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Give me a few fantasy books or even sci-fi, and a good role-play will come of it. Give me Shakespeare and light and it will be a good time for all to roleplay on the stage of life.

The Drama and Character, once lost in "technique" and "numbers" is almost irretrievable to roleplay in any dynamic fashion. UO lost it when they started showing all the numbers and spells such as identify no longer had meaning. One no longer had to seek out an accomplished smith that had the skill to identify the characteristics of a weapon either. Being highly skilled at hiding and other skills got nerfed with a simple reveal spell.

Well, it came down to too many treaks and nerfs, and too many years of promissed content to be intergrated. I was roleplaying a Necromancer two years before Age of Shadows came out, and by then the content of the idea like vampires had almost been abandoned for the slow moving mess that they tried to call 3d.

Most of the base of UO that liked 2d was forsaken for someone's idea that graphics were more important than content. If you look at the history, you will see this. I don't care to work out the tweaks of another system and have to have a certain type of graphics card to play the game that I've loved for so long, so I will say "so long," soon enough, before a long choking, withering death comes. My characters are more vibrant than that and deserve better.

I have better ways to spend time, money, and energy than in simply watching a game die from years of slow or mislead content. For those of you that want Stygian Abyss, jump all over it. I've tried KR and the graphics are just not for me - I must be a stick in the mud, but that is what KR looks like to me even with a great graphics card - looks like muddled (mud.)

That's my oppinion - and I only lost interest two years ago when Stratics lost it's butt and took months to try working out solutions. I figure that I was really only one of the last percentage of casualties as I'd seen so many others leave for WOW and other realms.

The old saying was, "The last one standing when UO shuts down is the Winner." OMG, how that statement should be reconsidered. I'm leaving the ship now while I see land in sight because I refuse to be a drowning rat when the ship goes down in open seas with no wind to luft the sails.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Journies!

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

Can I have all my char copied over to the free shard???

LOL... Maybe just the chars, but no arties or other (ill-)gained wealth! You wouldn't want to be the one to screw up the economy right from the start, right?... =)
BD Sig New

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

I've tried KR and the graphics are just not for me - I must be a stick in the mud, but that is what KR looks like to me even with a great graphics card - looks like muddled (mud.)

Have you tried the SA client tho? Graphics wise I think it is an improvement over both clients... (But that's just my opinion... =))

And I like the UI much better as far as functionality goes!
BD Sig New

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
UO Forums could continue for the freeshard community who have lots of specialized forums but none for overall discussion gameplay. (Maybe connectuo forums pick that up though)

As for playing an UOF Shard? Why not, there are lots of shards and no need to just play one.

Gerek Darkheart

Gerek Darkheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
If all histroy and work that's been put down in the RP communites would be destroyed, I believe many people would be unmotivated to start allover again. And I would understand them. But again, it would be the only option left if anyone would wish to continue with UO.
Posted Image

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
On the plus side, if UOF ever made a freeshard, thay could have their posts made on stratics and ignore Adam. It'd be just like old times!

[SIGPIC]http://www.uoforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic8169_1.gif[/SIGPIC]

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

If all histroy and work that's been put down in the RP communites would be destroyed, I believe many people would be unmotivated to start allover again. And I would understand them. But again, it would be the only option left if anyone would wish to continue with UO.

I think at the moment there is hardly a rp community that has not moved on a time or two?
And isn't the most fun the journey?

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Nothing really needs to be destroyed. Much of what many communities are exist of forums. The real loss would be things like the in-game books written by players.

Find a shard run by someone who is willing to help out RP communities, and I think it could be incredibly fun to RP on a freeshard. What is change to an RPer but something to start a great story arc with?

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
No, no Corvak... your job is to lead the Alliance RBGs in Trammel, Catskills.

No free shards for you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
I doubt I'd go to a freeshard, I'd most likely walk away from RPGMMO's in general, and continue with what has consumed the most of my gaming time lately, and that is COD MW2. I came to this game from FPS games, and would likely return that way. My old Tom Clancy RVS clan is back together playing COD MW2, and the reunion tour has been a blast!

Kariny Stormsong

Kariny Stormsong

P-DOUBLE O-P-ED

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationLake Superior
If UO would shut down I'd play a UOF server if one was made.

I do think UO will shut down in a few years, but not before they have something to replace it.

I already know they are using the brand to test and market games still in beta and under production.

If no UO, no UO Brand, and no UOF server I'd move on to other pastures. Hopefully these boards will still remain in some capacity though. I'd really miss UOF.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lings Bro

Lings Bro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
100000*12.95 = $1,295,000 cash cow.
50000*12.95 still = $647,500 per month cash cow.

It's not a lot of money to some but I will gladly buy the damn servers and put em in my garage. Just start sending those monthly payments to my bank.

Vote for me and everyone gets a classic castle!