Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

a new player guide (the sampire)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

BorikGL

BorikGL

UOForums Content EditorLover of all things UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Hi there,
The following is intended to help new players / players who have never played a sampire.

I will update this as i go along so keep reading if this is helpful for you, i may not be able to update
each night but i will do my best,
I made my char 1 week ago and started with the following.
Elf male..
str 45
dex 25
int 10
(from memory)
I picked an elf for the siple reason that you get a bigger mana pool, even with 10 int you get 30 mana
For my skills i picked
50 necro
25 SS
25 Tactics.
template i am working to
swords 120
tactics 100
parry 100
necro 100
SS 67/100
chiv 70
bushido 120

Day 1

I started off in new haven as do all new chars. My first point of call was to visit the trainers.
first stop was the swords trainer, I trained up to 40 swords and accepted the gains skill (400gp required)
I then visited the tactics trainer and trained to 40 (150gp required) accepted his quest also
then off to the chiv trainer and trained up to 35 as that was the last of my gold. (0gp left!) again I accepted his
quest and headed off to old haven. these quests give a gains increase in the quest area,
I battled the undead in the old town until i reached 50.1 at least in each swords and tactics.
by the time i had done this i went back to the trainers and accepted the rewards. i then had 2500 gp also, i donated 1500 of this to the shrine
to begin my chiv training.
with the remaining 1000gp i bought skill in ss up to 40 (150gp) and then 40 parry (400gp required) then finally bushido. really i should have trained bushido first
as LS gives a great HCI boost.
From here i went back into old haven and smashed anything without a pulse until i was at 50 skill in all 7 of my chosen skills.
really I did it the wrong way around but for the time it took me I didn't really care too much.
all in all it took just over 1hr30 mins to get to 50 in each of my 7 skills and i got some trinkets for doing the quests. even after I hit 50 skill i stuck around for another hour
and bashed monsters, by the time i was finished i had just under 10k in gold and skills were up to around 55 - 60.
the tactics i used were as so... Curse wep.. L/S L/S L/S (i threw in the odd divine fury also but because of the DCI sap i tend not to use it)
if needed i would run away and use the healing from ss or close wounds.
That was enough for one night so i went to sleep.
PLEASE NOT YOU MUST HONOUR EVERY MOB!

Day 2

Ahhh luna... luna luna luna... the bank sitters were out and i had 10k gold to further my advance. I advertised i was looking for a modest set of armour
with resists and as much stam / hp increase as i could get my hands on (i wasnt expecting much lol)
A friendly imbuer asked what char i was training... when i said sampire he said "my sampy was where you are not long ago... want his training suit?" i said YES PLEASE!
he gave me the suit and it was perfect for me.
it gave me all 70's in resist and 42 mana inc 42 stam increase and 100%LRC... I offered my gold but he wouldn't take it! Bless you Jens! Bless you.
Now all i needed was a wep! I hit the vendors and couldn't afford anything so i went back to luna. at this point i cheated.. I went on to my main and donated 200k to my new char.
I bought a soul seeker and headed off to despise! PLEASE NOT YOU MUST HONOUR EVERY MOB!
The ettins here provide nice skill gains at this level and there is ample spawn to keep you busy.
the swing rate of souls seeker is insane and with LS you hit on average at lease 1 in 2 swings so with curse wep I was able to keep myself healed thanks to the increased damage of repond slayer/cons wep.
in just under 2 hours i was 20k richer and was at 65 skills aacross the board (except parry that was around 59)
for the ettins I was running and flagging a group. i would run back and forth hitting 1 till they dropped.. also i was finishing off with pain spike and thanks to a +8 necro ring i was blasting the group with poison strike
to soften them up but at this stage it was all about melee. another good tip is when running back and forth use the crazy HP regain you get from confidence.
After another hour or so it was again sleepy time.

Day 3/4

i hit the ettins again and did much the same thing
By this time I had
103 STR and 60 dex (had locked int at 10)
as well as the etins this time i had bought some str / dex potions and used them every time they ran out.
I was throwing in earth ellies also this time and moved mainly on to those by the time i was finished...
Up till now i have used curse wep for my life drain...after using necro spells as often as i could and bought some pantsy skill gain jewels I had gotten to around
90 skill, I was running into the pack and hitting wither as many times as i could get it out. gains were thick and fast.
after this I decided to give more focus to necro training and spent a few hours in wraith form for the mana leech and simply killed low end monsters using wither and poison strike,
i did this all of night 4 and by the end of the night with my jewels i was at 100 necro! vamp form time!!!! I now had around 65-70 in my skills.

day 5 onwards

change of scene this time, i went to the cyclopse / titan area in Ilsh through honesty moongate. the gains here were excellent,
so was the gold! with vamp form my fire resist was only around 60 so i just take care and use heal pots fighting titans.
I can solo para cyclopse and aslo even the titans but for titans i lure them to the cave! it can be risky and i have died a few times but its no big deal.
I am making on average 20k gold every 30 mins so my bank is getting bigger!
I am currently at around 76 in each skill except SS and parry which are late 60's
I am staying here for the next few nights as the gold / gains are good and the mobs are not too tough!
look out for the next update tomorrow

BorikGL

BorikGL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Ok, here is the next bit.

Days 6/7

I spent all my time at the lava caldera in the abyss on day 6 (saturday) my wife was out for the day and my daughter was spending the day with my parents so i had a good old hunting session. I was real lucky here, with the combined healing of leech life / curse wep and chiv there was little that could cause me trouble, except the pesy ants but even then they fell nice and quick. by far the most rewarding day was here, after fighting for hours i had used my bag of sending many times (i wait till i have 30k gold before using) and I had got some good jewelry. I had been fighting my way through the spaw time and time again and on the last 2 renowned bosses i recieved "the staff of shattered dreams" I went to luna and sold each of them for 1.3 mil. my total bank balance was now around 3 mill so i went on search UO and found some good cheap armour pieces.

For the chest piece I got the Rune beetle carapace (excuse spelling) for the neck i got the voice of the fallen king, i bought the fey leggins ( am saving up for storm grips and mace and shield)

I am now in a hunting guild and we have a legend Imbuer, i got the bora pelts for him and he made my remaining armour pieces (including jewelry slots) to give me all 70's in vamp form and also 16 srt and dex inc, 40% damage inc also have hp/stam increase on all imbued pieces and a total of 45% dci... oooh yeah! i know its still a way of the final suit i am working on but hey! it rocks compared to what i have had.

I was bored of the lava place so headed back to the titans and cyclopse. I am loving this new suit, I was hunting for a good while longer to rebuild my gold reserves and getting precious gains.

by the timi i finished for the night i was at 92 bushido, 86 swords, 82 tactics, 70 SS, 99.4 necro (no longer need it on jewels! YES!)62 chiv (sucky, i will focus on this tonight) 76 parry.

I have a nice amount of gold in my bank a sweet although not complete suit and a hunger for glory!

one thing i must stress again is HONOUR EVERY MONSTER and also as farsight said.. if you aint using LS your doing it wrong.

I am still on the hunt for suit pieces so while training chiv tonight i might do a vendor recon and see if i can get a totem of the void or those elusive stormgrips.

I will keep you posted.
Borik.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Great guide so far.

Though one point that should definitely be brought up is that you should start with 49 necromancy in place of 50, especially on a brand new not-borrowing-from-alts character. Then you go directly tot he necromancer instructor and take the new necromancer quest. The reward for that is a full necromancy spellbook, which is useful even if you don't want to use a lot of necromancy spells.

Other than that, I can't fault you on anything you've done so far. So long as you're having fun with it.
Posted Image

BorikGL

BorikGL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Fun aint the word! I am loving it, each kill brings me one step close to my goal and each skill gain brings satisfaction, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed warrior classes. even a hybrid one hehe.

I am thinking though that there are other things i could be killing that would net me more gold... can you suggest anything at my skill level that i should be hunting?

Buying a bokbok tonight, seen it for 800k, so will give it a try.

thanks
Nicky

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
That depends on if you're looking for excitement or just skill gain. If I were in your shoes right now, I'd focus on skill gain with modest income. That means you should be taking your soul seeker down to Troglodytes.

You'll only get 400 gold or a little bit more per kill, but the kills will come very fast indeed. They also spawn so quickly that you'll never stop swinging for more than a couple of seconds. If you had no DCI, they would be a little bit of a challenge, but since you have the DCI, they should be little trouble and your skills will skyrocket.

Another thing you may want to consider is powergaming your parry skill up (use the guide here). Training parry the through-normal-gameplay method takes months of training, while using the sheep or Jhelom fighter methods takes a couple of hours. But this is something you can think about over time, since you can train parry pretty much any time.
Posted Image

DVI

DVI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
two other things to consider.

1. You would be better off passing the totem of the void and obtaining either a primer on arms damage or a conjurer's trinket. Both of which have mods much better suited to a tank/melee character.

2. Be wary of casting too many necro spells. The occasional vamp form, or the more frequent curse weapon won't hurt you much, but using the other spells too frequently will have the result of lowering your karma and reducing the effectiveness of your chivarly spells.

Amber Lockheart

Amber Lockheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
but then at the rate you are hunting you shouldn't worry about your karma, esp if you go for the trogs, saying that i use necro alot and neg karma can help with your necro spells

BorikGL

BorikGL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

That depends on if you're looking for excitement or just skill gain. If I were in your shoes right now, I'd focus on skill gain with modest income. That means you should be taking your soul seeker down to Troglodytes.

You'll only get 400 gold or a little bit more per kill, but the kills will come very fast indeed. They also spawn so quickly that you'll never stop swinging for more than a couple of seconds. If you had no DCI, they would be a little bit of a challenge, but since you have the DCI, they should be little trouble and your skills will skyrocket.

Another thing you may want to consider is powergaming your parry skill up (use the guide here). Training parry the through-normal-gameplay method takes months of training, while using the sheep or Jhelom fighter methods takes a couple of hours. But this is something you can think about over time, since you can train parry pretty much any time.

I have read about a place called the painted caves... is this where i will find the trogs? also in terms of tactics is it just them that spawn there, reason i ask is that if there are various monster types i tend not to use enemy of one. if its just them they will fall fast. Was going to get a bok bok and storm grips last night but decided against them, need to focus on saving for mace and shield specs.

thanks for the feedback,
Played my mage last night as the guild were doing dreadhorns so i was needed for support.

If i get on tonight i will find this painted caves place.

thanks
Borik

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Yes, the painted caves. If you're walking, just go north from the Trinsic Moongate then cross the first river. Follow the river west to the mountains and you'll see a cave right next to the river (on the north side).

If you stick to the first two little alcoves, then the only things which will attack you are troglodytes and giant rats, and you'll never have to worry about the rats. If you go to the back, you'll find Lurg and Grobu, both of which will likely kill you at this point, so don't go past the first two spawns.

Link to map
Click on the painted caves dot to see what's inside.
Posted Image

BorikGL

BorikGL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
thank you!

BorikGL

BorikGL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Part 3..

I have lost count on the days now but its less than 2 weeks, over the last 3-4 nights i haven't been on my sampire as much as i would have liked, guild hunts have meant my mage was needed but i have still done some good sampire hunting.

So where did i leave off... oh yeah. I had read about the painted caves and been given advice to kill Troglodites for skill gains... Best Advice ever!

I hit the cave and sweps aside the cats and dogs and hit the trogs..

Tactics here is very simple.

Enemy of one!
Cuse wep!
LS!

I was killing these faster than i could loot them... and they spawn so fast its not even funny :-)
With my current suit and tactics i have never had to run, even when 5-6 of the critters come at me and the gains are outstanding... except for parry... I really need to read up on how to powergame it as its lagging really far behind.

in terms of equipment here there are a few things that i would consider a must.

STR/DEX potions... obvious really but higher str = more hit points/damage output and DEX = more stam resulting in faster swing speed / less likely to slow down due to stamina loss.

my wepon i am using here is a soulseeker... for training a sampire with swords i would say this is a must!

60% ssi 40% HLL 30%HML 30%HSL and the specials work well... whirlwind is great when there are 4/5 on you as not only are you keeping the crowd down but you also heal at a fantastic rate. so even if all 6 hit you at once you are up to full in 1 swing if you hit them all.

if you are training another skill other than swords then you just need a nice fast repond slayer and you will be fine.

one thing that you can not be without is a bag of sending... the rate at which you will be killing these means that unless you have a BoS then you are either leaving gold or SJ back and forth too much... i have made a killing here over the 2 nights i was here (only about and hour or so at a time) I made over 200k gold.

after a while though it gets tedious so i would recommend either listening to music or perhaps imagine a cool car chase in your mind to stop you going insane... ooops too late :)

after the 2 nights here i am heading towards my goal...
I now have 95 ish swords / tactics. 64 chiv 100 necro 97 bushido spirit speak and 76 parry.. blooming parry.

while the trogs can heal you should kill them fast enough for this to not be a problem and if you have an alt that uses bandages they you will get thousands here.

will stick here till i am GM at least in swords/parry but i dont have the patience to do any longer as there is really no chalange here, just good fast gains/gold... this is good but it aint my style :)

if you venture to the back of the cave you will find lurg and grobu... grobu is a piece of cake but gives bad karma loss and lurg is a hard hitter... almost too much for me but i had to give it a pop :-)

Will keep you all posted on my adventures.

Borik

rpgboofq

rpgboofq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
:) neat run threw of your game play looking forward to the next update

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
You may be waiting a while. This thread is from February.

~M

KevCronus

KevCronus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
"I picked an elf for the siple reason that you get a bigger mana pool, even with 10 int you get 30 mana
For my skills i picked
50 necro
25 SS
25 Tactics.
template i am working to
swords 120
tactics 100
parry 100
necro 100
SS 67/100
chiv 70
bushido 120"

What do you mean Spirit Speak 67/100? Was your final build with 100 SS?

Also, does anyone have thoughts about a human SS rather than an elf??