Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Sampire questions..

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

BorikGL

BorikGL

UOForums Content EditorLover of all things UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Thank you for reading,

I used to play a sampire ages ago but took a long break from UO but am back for more, i made a nice mage and enjoy him but missed the feel of a blade so i have made a sampire.

I need some advice though here is the skills i intend to use.. please can you advise? current/goal

swords 70/120
tactics 69/110
parry 78/120
necro 96/100
SS 67/100
chiv 56/70
bushido 90

stats

my next question is armour....

so far i am running an imbued suit that gives LRC(not needed now) 7 mana inc/stam in per piece

I have bought a quiver of infinity and fey legs to start a better suit but I am not sure what to go for.

Can anyone help?

thanks
Borik

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Farsight wrote up a great guide to the Sampire :)

http://www.uoforums....36-sampire.html

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I count 710 points in your template, is that correct?

Anyhow, when choosing which skill to bring to 120 between parry and bushido, always take bushido higher. The difference between 100 and 120 parry is pretty insignificant (6% with two handed weapon, which comes to about 3% or less of total swings by your opponent), but the difference between 100 and 120 bushido is massive when you're casting lightning strike, and more effective when you honor your opponents as well. (7% difference, or the difference between 1 in 6 hits being critical at 100 bushido to 1 in 5 hits being critical at 120 bushido), which far outweighs the little gain you get from the extra 20 points in parry.

You can also drop tactics from 110 to 100 so you can keep your chivalry at 70.

For your suit, you need the mace and shield glasses if you can afford them (if you can't, then that's your very first thing to save for) and max DCI. If you have access to an imbuer, then you should definitely have a ring/bracelet set with 15% HCI and DCI on each. After that, you only need a little bit of DCI to max out, which can come from any one piece of armor. I prefer the fey leggings.

For your chest piece, there is no piece in game better than the rune beetle carapace. And since they're plentiful these days, they should be pretty cheap too.

After that, your suit gets pretty flexible. You want to have 100% DI from items (60% + weapon is typical), as much HCI as you can get, and stamina and some more stamina. Anything else you can build into your suit is just great. In todays days of imbuing, you can make some pretty insane suits.

For your weapon, you want to use imbued weapons with mana leech, stamina leech, swing speed increase and if you have room, hit lower attack. You'll have to replace them fairly often (I've heard people use terms like weeks... I don't play my sampires much any more, so I haven't gone through one weapon in half a year), but with a weapon like that, you can afford to.

If you have more questions (or if I missed yours), feel free to ask!
Posted Image

BorikGL

BorikGL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Thanks for the feedback people!

Here is a revised version!

swords 70/120
tactics 69/100
parry 78/100
necro 96/100
SS 67/100
chiv 56/70
bushido 120

stats

125 str
10 int
125 dex

I am currently running a suit that gives me
100%lrc
All 70's (with vamp form)
42 mana inc
42 stam increase

my jewelry is crap... only gives a few skill / str/dex boosts and about 38% damage increase with my quiver of infinity.

I have already bought fey leggins, rune beetle carapice but until i have the full suit i am holding off using them as i dont have enough gold to replace other pieces to make them work for me..

Are storm grips / jackals collar / mace and shield glasses a good choise to go with them?

Amber Lockheart

Amber Lockheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
the two head wears i almost always try and built into my suits are mace and shield and spirit of the totem, jackals collar.... i don't think thats med able and hence useless, i mean most of my templates don't have med or focus, but they are the human toon, so i have the JOAT med and focus which is 3 mr already, then i try and have 2 mr on every other armour piece

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Mace and shield glasses means you don't have to put HLD on a weapon. That makes them worth the price.

The "standard" suit which people will quote to you includes the RBC, fey leggings, stormgrip and the M&S glasses. That means you have to put an absurd amount of fire and poison resist on your sleeves and gorget and make up the resist difference on your jewels. Those 4 pieces together have a total of 52/25/49/19/61 resists. Taking vamp form (-25 fire resist), you need to put 70 fire resist and 51 poison resist on two pieces of armor and two pieces of jewelry. Pre-imbuing, that meant you had almost no flexibility to play around with your armor. It also means that if you have the jackal's collar, you will almost certainly run short on poison resist.

Another thing you need to consider is mana use. You either need to include 5% or 25% LMC on the remaining pieces. With 20% LMC (RBC + 5), you can cast lightning strike for 4 mana. With 40% LMC (RBC + 25%), you can cast lightning strike for 3 mana. 1 or 2 mana may not sound like much, but in the 15-20 minute fight (dread horn, for example), it adds up.
Posted Image

Amber Lockheart

Amber Lockheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
for the neck piece nothing will let me part with the glad's collar

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
True the resist of the gladiators collar rock and the 10 HPI are nice, but the HCI is a total waste on a sampire, as you are going to use lightnings strike constantly. If you don't... well, you're doing it wrong ;)
http://www.halolz.co...08/08/wrong.jpg

Amber Lockheart

Amber Lockheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
that is true, but with a melee template i always like having 45 hci on the suit, it just means that when coming to imbue a jewle set it i will have room for something else not worrying about the 30 hci i have on the jewle pieces

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Again, a sampire does not need hci at all! Because you are doing lightning strike with every hit.

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Because you are doing lightning strike with every hit.

No, you're not. There are MANY times when I (and many sampires) instead choose to use the specials on a weapon, mainly whirlwind with a radiant scimitar or crushing/concussion blow with axes. Others with fencing like the feint special. As a result, I find the template to be much more effective with max HCI than without. Lightning strike might work fine in many instances, but to fully utilize the weapons in your template you'll want to maximize your HCI as well.

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
Borik, there is a lot of good advice in that write up. My suit consists of:

Mace and Shields
Mempo with +8 Stam, +8 MI, 2MR
Heart of the Lion (faction)
Leggings with +7 Stam, 1MR
Hiro sode with +7 Stam
Stormgrips (faction)
Primer on arms damage (faction) plus and assortment of other talismans for spawns
Crimson Cincture (faction)
+15 chivalry, 5 strength, 13 hci, 13 dci, 20 di imbued ring
+7 strength, +7 dex, 13 hci, 13 dci, 7 lmc imbued bracelet
quiver of infinity
cloak of power
arcane boots (for casting after dying)

Totals on suit are: 70/70/64/70/70
3 MR
7 LMC
22 stamina increase
8 mana increase
46 dci
46 hci (with primer....36 without)
65 di (rest is on weapons)

Stats are 134 Strength (127 hp) before pots
139 Dex (161 stam) before pots
30 Int (58 mana)

This suit works well and was fairly inexpensive to acquire. This guy is also my silver farmer for my other faction characters, and though he's designed for pvm, he has held his own quite nicely when attacked. Be sure to get yourself a couple swampy's bonded so you have a spare availabe and carry a pet ball to summon the second if you and your first one both die so you can stay in the fight. If you are going to play in Fel, ride a lesser hiryu so you have a pet to help you out if needed.;)

BorikGL

BorikGL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Again, a sampire does not need hci at all! Because you are doing lightning strike with every hit.

this is true. even though i am still training with LS i still string enough hits together to reach perfection if the foe has the HP's to last that long hehe.

BorikGL

BorikGL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Do i really need parry and SS in this template? I saw another post from farsight and the template posted there looks better to me.. so I am thinking about a re-Vamp (chuckles).

120 swords
100 bushido
90 healing
100 anatomy
100 tactics
100 necromancy
70 chivalry

with the damage boost from anat and the obvious benifits of healing I feel this would be more effective, i don't use necro summons or really other spells except the odd curse wep.. and as for parry, well its a pain to train and with the DCI my suit gives and bushido i feel this would be enough... whats the low down... is healing/anat more useful to a necro warrior than SS/Parry?

Thanks in advance..
Borik.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I had all the math written down somewhere, but I can't find it.

The important bit is that parry only helps 8-12% of the time, depending on what you're fighting. This means that a Dread Horn will hit you once every eight times instead of once every five. That definitely has its advantages.

Which template you choose is definitely a style issue. For myself, I HATE (H88!) playing alone. The standard sampire with parry and everything else is pretty much only good for fighting alone, which wasn't good for me at all. This version of the template allows me to go in groups and still cross heal, ressurect and be a more sociable type of player.

The template I posted there is also a work in progress template, as I haven't scrolled up anything besides fencing. The extra 20 points of bushido are extremely effective.

So while I used to swear by the parry version of the template (and it's still quite good indeed!), for me, the healing version is much more effective.
Posted Image

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I might run with the parrying, only because if I'm not alone, I seem to end up with tamers and not cross healers :)

Of course they always invis me and let the dragons get hit, so parrying isn't really needed either :)

McNuge

McNuge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

this is true. even though i am still training with LS i still string enough hits together to reach perfection if the foe has the HP's to last that long hehe.

You may not be using LS all the time once you've reached perfection like starting to then use specials, but the big thing of LS is the chance for a critical hit. At least it is for me. a 150 hp blast can re-up all your stats in a single blow