Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Inappropriate Names In-Game

- - - - - inappropriate ingame names

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Thradia

Thradia

*licks*

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
Why do some players insist in creating offensive names? CatHat popped in on a long Stratics thread about naming your players to remind them that when the boards get immature, they are less likely to post.
(And a cookie for CatHat for even touching the word 'ScrotumPole')
~~~

CatHat: I dunno, this whole 'name is offensive' thing seems whack and has a lot of sides to it.

One one hand there are clear and genuine racist names/words folks have used and i'm happy as hell to see those jerks get nailed. On the other hand hand if somebody has to be looking up words in the urban dictionary to see if a word or phrase is 'offensive' - probably ought to be deemed that word is most likely relatively safe and just let slide.

Not to mention a name often has many meanings. "TommyKnocker" is a ghost, a King show/novel and a sexual slur. God forbid your real name should actually be "BJ" or "Dick" lol. Its always the sexual stuff that has a milliion and one goofy nicknames... According to some fool the name of the LOTR monster "Warg" is also a sexual term.. stupid.. Well, there goes one of my characters.

Still - folks who name their characters these clever little names for a laugh - just open themselves up for getting burned like this. Sucks - but we all know if you play with fire some Lame-O is going to burn you just cause he can. I wouldn't name my character 'Mr. Happy, the Wonder Weasle" any more than i would leave my Car unlocked with my CD collection sitting on the front seat.

Player: a lame and typical EA employee responce

CatHat: Hmm - so just because i tell ya you shouldn't be naming your guy "Gootch" or "ScrotumPole" or something dodgey, you think its a typical lame response?

Everybody else has unique names in UO without being a "Jhon Doe". I'm just taking the time to tell you how I see it, being up front and honest to the best of my abilites.

The others community members on here are right. When the boards start getting like this it, just encourages the Devs to not post. Not good guys.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
rofl @ scrotumpole

Kreegan

Kreegan

Proud Member Of...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Hey, I saw someone in Britian with the name Tbagger.

I'm not joking

*shakes his head and goes back to work*

Prizim

Prizim

I am getting too old for this!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I won't mention some of the pet names I have seen that are just lets say gross... I just shake my head and figure its some 14 yr. old that thinks it is funny and go about my business.... I know some people are not creative with names.. but ya don't have to be offensive with the ones you do come up with... I for one am not very creative.. 'ell I have Prizim, Prizim II and Little Priz for toons.... as you can see no creative bones in this body
Posted Image

Snowy

Snowy

Pretty Nice Disguise, isn't it?

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
Shock value tends to wear thin and people just begin to label those who are named in those was as 'morons' which is actually libel to individuals who really ARE mentally challenged. Sadly, they really are so dumb they have no clue how much damage they are actually doing.. to themselves.

~

"It's definitely a Bubble Bath Day.". ~ Dove Promise

~

Adrianna Danere

Adrianna Danere

Stop staring at my daishos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Once upon a time I had this crazy notion that UO was a roleplaying game. Therefore I figured folks would want to name their characters with actual names, since... well, most cultures, including Britannian, has this funny custom of giving people names. By names I mean actual names, not random nouns, adjectives or verbs or quoted phrases.

The latter is more a practice of forums and chatrooms where screennames have become the norm. So I'd have to conclude most folks view UO more as "another thing on the net" and thus more related to chatrooms and forums than anything else. Sure as hell not a MMORPG.

Anyhoo, on the truly inappropriate names, agreed - they hurt themselves the most.

Posted Image

Dragonreborn_KmR

Dragonreborn_KmR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Everybody else has unique names in UO without being a "Jhon Doe".

There was a guy in KmR once that had that very name hehe.

Once upon a time I had this crazy notion that UO was a roleplaying game. Therefore I figured folks would want to name their characters with actual names

I agree

Posted Image

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
I dont remember seeing any particularly offensive character names on Europa tbh,but then maybe I wasn't looking.One of the more comical (and sad ) ones I saw though, was ' Chicken Tonight' *groans

Kreegan

Kreegan

Proud Member Of...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
When i see them, i just keep doing what i'm doing.

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
I've never seen any offensive names since I started playing. I guess I just never really pay that much attention to their names.

Hey, I saw someone in Britian with the name Tbagger.

What's a Tbagger?

Thradia

Thradia

*licks*

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
*pms Ally*

Posted Image
Posted Image

Kreegan

Kreegan

Proud Member Of...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

What's a Tbagger?

*Says nothing and runs away*

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
I do have to give creative points to a red I used to see running around named "an energy vortex." When you saw that name in red, especially on champ hunts or something, you never thought anything about it.

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
Thing that gets me is all the people saying "Aww cmon this isn't bad you are just overly sensitive.. it's FUNNY!!! not offensive!"

It's scary how many people are desensitized.

Posted Image

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.' - Albert Einstein

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
I have to agree that chars having real names seems much more true to form for an MMORPG.

But seriously; why would you want to name your character that you know someone is going to get offended by?

Its just plain immature...

Posted Image

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
Here is one that hopefully someone can explain.

Yesterday I wanted to name my horsey ... My Companion ...
it would not let me and it said something like ..
that is not a very nice name ...
Ok ... i don't get it!

*ps Thradia, please pm me as well with what you told Ally
cause i dont know what the is either ... ty

Posted ImagePosted Image

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
hehe on the not knowing what the tbag was.... I just learned at work last week LOL (don't ask)

Anyhow I tried to name my firesteed twins sugar and spice and it wouldn't let me name it spice.

I think you can't use the name Companion because of the old Companions that we used to have in the game. Silly I know but I guess they didn't want to confuse the new players hehe.

What's really a shame is the world we are living in has created offensive names for other people. What's worse is that people want to use them in a game. They are the ones who have made it so I had to name my firesteed Cinnamon instead of Spice. :\

Posted Image

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.' - Albert Einstein

Guest_Unregistered_*

Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

I've never seen any offensive names since I started playing. I guess I just never really pay that much attention to their names.

What's a Tbagger?

Oh my, I think the last sentence explains the first :-)

Guest_Wilki_EA_*

Guest_Wilki_EA_*
  • Guests
My personal feelings lean more towards the "I wish people would at least make a minimal attempt to RP with their names", though I understand that's not what we've required, so...

That said, there are some who think they're particularly clever, and will try to get away with some slang term or mispelling for something inappropriate. Of course, usually they're also the same types who like to play the victim and say "who, me?" when caught.

I found the whole hoopla to be quite silly, and I'm glad we're back to talking about the actual game, and not some silly name.

Snowy

Snowy

Pretty Nice Disguise, isn't it?

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
I've had the same sort of thing in naming my horse and pack animals. I think I actually did try to use the word Companion in a name once too. It would be nice to see a list of 'forbidden' names. :laugh: Bet it would be interesting reading... just the nice ones of course, like Companion and Spice... I can do without reading the foul mouth ones.

~

"It's definitely a Bubble Bath Day.". ~ Dove Promise

~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inappropriate, ingame, names