Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

UOCartographer beta, now available! (new UOAM)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
UOCartographer (aka UOC) is a free replacement for UOAutomap. It's features include support for the new lands of Ter Mur and compatibilty with the Enhanced Client (EC).

You can get the latest/current version from the following URL:

http://uocartographe...ta/UOCSetup.exe

You will need the .NET 2.0 framework to use it, but most people should have it already. Otherwise you can get it from the Microsoft website.

< legalese >
Disclaimer:

While this program is currently not officially or publically endorsed or approved by EA/Mythic, you are free to use it without repercussion. If you have any problems, do not contact EA/Mythic about it, they DO NOT provide support for this or any other 3rd party program.

Representitives of EA/Mythic have directly told me that you will not be banned for using this and that I am free to distribute it. It does not sniff packets, read the clients memory or interfere in any way with the client.
< /legalese >

After installing it, when you run it for the first time it will build the maps. This may take a few minutes. If this fails for some reason, right click on the map window and choose Options and make sure the paths to the client and the client selection are correct. You may need to restart it if you do this.

After the maps have been built you should be good to go. In 2D/Classic you must be running UOAssist for it to track you. In the EC you will need to copy MapWindow.lua from the installation directory to your <EC path>/User Interface/<skin name>/Source/ directory. There are more details in the ReadMe.txt file.

There is a seperate server program so you can get everyone together. To use this have someone run the server, pick a port from the options window (address does nothing) and make sure they open it on their router/firewall (UDP port 11000 is the default, or should be). You can choose to use a global password like UOAM or per user accounts. Global password is probably the easiest for now. Your friends can now connect by going to the options window and entering the IP and port of the server, choosing a username and entering the password. Checking "Show Status" will add a little red/green indicator to the UI so you can see if you are connected or not. Then pick "Connect" from the right-click menu to connect.

UOC can use the UOAM ".map" marker files and several are included.

You can scroll the map by left clicking and dragging. You can also "flick" the map in the same manner to scroll quickly. Double clicking will toggle borderless mode and the mousewheel will zoom in and out.

Phew! This is pretty long already. Feel free to try it out and let me know in this thread if you have any problems or questions. I'm not here 24/7 but I'll try and respond as soon as I can Posted Image

The original thread on Stratics and also the thread he wants to use for information

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Lord Roland

Lord Roland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Been running since it was released, starting our own server tonight. So far I am impressed with the work that was put into it, although there are some features that UOAM had that UOC does not have that would make it even better. Either way, VERY nice to have a map of Ter Mur areas now.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Please let me know how you make out with the server, I had no luck.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Network info posted

Originally Posted by Kiwillian Posted Image
yeah the server is in, it's just a little unfriendly Posted Image

Here's a brief rundown for everyone:

You first need to set a port, just pick 11000 since this seems to work, or another number if you like (say between 2000 and 65000). Check the Global Password box and type in a password. This is the simple way to use it which we'll stick to for now Posted Image

If you want guildies to connect you'll need to forward the port on your router/modem. This varies from model to model. Forward the port you chose to the internal IP of the PC running the server. To find the internal IP, go Start->Run type cmd and hit OK then type ipconfig it should show up there. Probably something like 192.168.x.x. Forward the port to that address and choose UDP or ANY for the Protocol or Type.

Now find out what your external IP is. There are plenty of websites that will do this. Give this external IP, the port and the password to your guildies and get them to enter it in the UOC options and check "Show Status". Then they can choose "Connect" and the little light should go green! Posted Image The person running the server should use the internal IP instead of the external one.

To address another issue: There are a few reasons why UOC is not compatible with UOAM servers.

First and foremost is the fact that the UOAM protocol is closed and not public. There have been some efforts to reverse engineer it but these are wobbly at best and possibly not very "legal" at worse. This is the main reason UOC does not support it.

Secondly, the UOAM server is very old and slow. It updates at a snails pace compared to UOC. I think the UOAM server updates maybe once every 2-3 seconds, which is terrible Posted Image

Yes, it is going to be a pain in the !!!, but the server is still a work in progress and can be expanded and improved. I could even open the protocol so others can implement servers, or make a dedicated linux one, all without being constrained by the legacy of UOAM.

Well, hope that was somewhat helpful Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Murzam

Murzam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello I used to use UOAM for T-hunting and I was just wondering if there is a way I might could install the old T-map markers from UOAM into UOC? If if perhaps there is just such a file for UOC?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Yes there is a way to do so read the posts by Basara in this thread
UOCartographer beta (new UOAM) [0.9.6.6 Dec 5, re-read OP first] - Page 3 - Stratics Forums

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
Been looking all over the place for this, but I imagine its a relatively simple answer. The thread mentions there is a seperate program / executable for setting up and running a server, but I haven't been able to find it. The stratics thread and the UOC site both only link to the client.

Anyone got a link for the server program?

Hanse Davion [-V-], Haleorn [DDi], Angfan [Clw]

1998 - 2010

Nevaeh

Nevaeh

Musical Courtesan

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
been hoping for some one to make another one:P

Posted Image
free siggy just pm me

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts

Been looking all over the place for this, but I imagine its a relatively simple answer. The thread mentions there is a seperate program / executable for setting up and running a server, but I haven't been able to find it. The stratics thread and the UOC site both only link to the client.

Anyone got a link for the server program?

You already have it installed, it installs with the main package. Go to Programs and the UOCart installation and you'll see UOCserver.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's a good program, but the server app isn't quite as good as the UOAM one
You can't seem to add individual accounts to it, unless it's just not working for me
Has anyone else managed to do it?

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
I have it working at home as a test. Have been able to login from home and from the Net so far. I'll play with it a bit tonight and let you know. I thought the server could only run on a Windows Op system?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I have it working at home as a test. Have been able to login from home and from the Net so far. I'll play with it a bit tonight and let you know. I thought the server could only run on a Windows Op system?

I can login fine, with or without a global password, but if I'm to offer free UOAM hosting, I need to be able to offer multiple logins for each group/guild

With the UOAM server, you could setup multiple passwords/logins, but you can't seem to do that on the UOCarto one, although there IS a "Users" box on the options page, there's no clear way of adding users.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
maybe there's a config file somewhere, in which you can add groups and users and such? just speculating - never actually downloaded it

Playing on Drachenfels? Speaking German? Tired of exploring Sosaria alone?

Check us out: www.semperfidelis.de or sent me a pm

Guest_Hattori Hanzo_*

Guest_Hattori Hanzo_*
  • Guests
I have been running this just fine for months until it stopped letting anyone connect last week. Anyone else have this problem and maybe know a fix?

*** Edit

Okay. Fixed. My router assigned new IPs to each of my computers and I had to forward to the new address.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

maybe there's a config file somewhere, in which you can add groups and users and such? just speculating - never actually downloaded it

Yea it seems to create a config file when you first launch the server, but without knowing the proper format, I don't know how to add entries to it.

Squirel

Squirel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
a guild mate has done all the set up that he could and he was able o connect but for some reason i cannot get mine to connect! if possible contact me thru icq 587-105-325 or anyone that could help! Thankyou

McNuge

McNuge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
can someone help me? :/

I figured out how to get the server from the uo cart files that i downloaded, but i dont know what number to put in the address bar. I was trying to read earlier on the post and I saw something like an internal IP and External IP. Which one do I put in the box. And where would I find either one of those numbers exactly?

Sorry, I'm not very comp savvy :) I just now managed to give it a shot and got it set up after a while of goofing around with it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

McNuge

McNuge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
Alright, I followed the directions to get the internal IP and came up with a 192.168....... number, but theres a lot of other numbers there, so I chose that one.

My problem now is that I get this message that says:

Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you lick Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If your click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\UOCartographer\serveroptions.xml' is denied.

Any idea what I am doing wrong here and how I fix it? I will try again running as an administrator but I think I may need to do something else.

McNuge

McNuge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
ok after running as admin, i got the window to say that its starting server... and ive copied all the relevant info to the uo cart server options screen and i tried to connect but i get a red light. Does it take a long time for the server to connect?

Bugmaster

Bugmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
"Does it take a long time for the server to connect?"

It does if you have it fire-walled. Might want to check that out...

Another option when you have trouble connecting with a friend like that is Hamachi--it creates a private Wide Area Network with alternate IPs. It gets right through connections that don't have port forwarding set up, and so far every game that I have multiplayered within that Hamachi network worked like a charm. It pre-configures everything (unlike windows!) and it "just works".

It is also free.