Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Brewing / candymaking / stews

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Elaine

Elaine

The Poison Pixie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
I've been playing an RP cook for some time now in the Europa "Swaggers Inn" (feel free to stop by for a drink - right at the edge of the Vesper beach!) and I find the most annoying thing is not being able to produce your own drinks. You always have to run over to the NPC Inn to buy a batch, then run back to restock.

So, here is my suggestion: implement brewing for us poor cooks, or alchemists!

You could require perhaps around 60-70 cooking, and the following ingredients:

Ale:
2 Hops (leaves graphic, harvestable from hops - does not exist ingame yet)
Water
Empty bottle

Wine:
2 Grapes
Water
Empty bottle

Cider:
2 Apples
Water
Empty bottle

Liquor:
1 Wheat sheaf
Water
Empty bottle

Ideally, these would be inscribable with the food decoration tool, allowing you to add a vintage or label when they turn out to be exceptional.

Except for the hops, all items are already available ingame, so I doubt it would be too difficult to implement.

The second thing is candy. We can make chocolate, so why not candy? I haven't quite decided what ingredients for what yet, but I think around 80-90 skill required would be justified. The first ingredients that spring to mind, in various combinations, would be:

Suger
Honey
Fruit
Cocoa butter / pulp

I'd also love these to be inscribable. We have new candy graphics this year for Halloween as it is, so we might as well make use of them. :) And give cooks more of a meaning!

While we're at it, why not make tomato soup craftable? A recolored peach graphic named "tomato" would be good for ingredients. And water, maybe garlic.

So, what do you think?

Posted Image

Stewan Seagull

Stewan Seagull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
All for it!

Thorodin

Thorodin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
I like the ideas. They really need to add something to cooking. There is such a limit on the items cooks are able to make. I am really surprised they have not added a lot more.

Elaine

Elaine

The Poison Pixie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
Most of all, this should be fairly easy to implement, seeing as the items all already exist (except for tomatoes and hops - but the hops plant already exists, and the leaves graphic would be just right, colored green) and I don't think it's all too hard to add this to the crafting menu.

Would make running player Inns a lot easier, too. :)

Posted Image

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Hopfen und Malz.. runter in halz?

Posted Image

Devante

Devante

Who ?

• Members
  • 2,238 posts
I like the idea, i'd also like it if drinks actually did something though, not sure what exactly, perhaps a small stat gain like +2 str -2Int, and if you drink too much your character could vomit and have a hangover -3str or something.

Posted Image

Elaine

Elaine

The Poison Pixie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
I don't know how difficult it would be, turning the existing drinks into "mini potions".

Posted Image

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
It wouldn't be too hard to make the drinks 'potionable' - they already have elixers and balms and such, complete with cooldown timers. Simply add an overdose check, and invert the expected result - for example, a drink that adds +5 stamina for 30 minutes would, if overdone, give you -5 stam for 30 minutes.

As an aside, it would be really cool to add a daily check to the wines and liquors, incrementing its life term by one day. Parrots have this check - hover over any of them to see how many weeks old they are - why not add this to wines? Imagine the awesomeness of having a crafted wine ten years old? Imagine owning a vintage wine from a respected (or very DISrespected) player that is measured in days/weeks/year, that cannot be faked via inscription? Cool!

I like these ideas you have all presented here!

[SIGPIC]http://www.uoforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic8169_1.gif[/SIGPIC]

Lady Luna Rossa

Lady Luna Rossa

Retired Mystical Being

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Most excellent idea! I have set up a little brewery-looking type operation myself on Chesapeake but something like this would be so much nicer.

*prays to the EA gods that they give this serious consideration*

Thorodin

Thorodin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
They could make a distillery machine that you would need to make brews, like needing a stove for regular cooking. I love the idea of showing the ages on the wines. It would be neat to still be playing 10 years down the road and have a 10 year old bottle of ** vineyards wine sitting in my house. Then we could also get wine racks crafted by carpenters.

Elaine

Elaine

The Poison Pixie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
Even without all the fancy things like stat changes and showing age, it would be really nice. And most of all, easy-ish to do. Enough for a little mini-publish, along with some other things...?

Posted Image

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

Won this title in a raffle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
I agree it would be nice if only a roleplay thing. Perhaps we could mix in regs to create different named drinks.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
I copy this over from stratics:

Hunter's Moon said:
The Cornucopia was a great idea but.....
...I would rather be given the ability to make my own "Harvest Brew". I know many like myself have asked for this for a long time,but we have been told that this idea "is nice,but not on the radar." I suppose I need to ask a question per the rules of this subforum;so here it is. Can we please have the ability to have a "brewer"?

This addition could bring back into relevence a few skills such as Taste ID(to know when the wine/ale/liquer is ready to be served),Tailoring(leatherworking~wineskins),Cookin g(hops and barley preperations),Alchemy(glassblowing for the liquer bottles and casks),and of course carpentry and tinkering for the kegs and barrels that would hold the wines and ales.

Many like myself enjoy,or would enjoy,hosting our own tavern if given the option to make wines and ales with our own makers mark on the created item,instead of having to go to a provisioner npc to buy the needed item.

Sakkarah replied:
Having a brewery system is definitely something I would like to see in the game at some point. But as you guessed, it is not on the radar right now. Why? Because developping sub-systems and mini-games takes a lot of time and in this case it would also require new art. So when deciding which mini-game to work on, we have to think about the greatest return on investment.

It wouldn't make sense for us to spend weeks/months developping something that only a marginal number of players will take part in. It would need to be something that has a broader appeal and more importantly, something that people will continue to want to do after the novelty wears off. Meaning that we will need to come up with ways for brewed liquor/beverages to be consummables for which there is significant demand and that, as you mentioned, will involve different crafter trades.

In short, we are in favor of adding brewing we just don't know when we'll get around to it. But it's definitely not in the short term.

ezeedee

ezeedee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
That would be cool, i would open up a bar!

Gyvalor

Gyvalor

collecter of death robes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Sakkarah replied:

It wouldn't make sense for us to spend weeks/months developping something that only a marginal number of players will take part in. It would need to be something that has a broader appeal and more importantly, something that people will continue to want to do after the novelty wears off.

Hrmmm.....I wonder if they thought about this when they decided to bring chocolate making.
Posted Image

Thorodin

Thorodin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Hrmmm.....I wonder if they thought about this when they decided to bring chocolate making.

Excellent point! We have bags of sugar, vanilla, and cocoa liquer that drop as loot on monsters to be used in chocolateering, with no other uses. Cocoa trees were added to grow cocoa. Does anyone really use it?? Does it serve any purpose? Even a roleplaying one?? With brewing, there would at least be a roleplaying purpose, and many people would like to display their winemaking wares. Along with the enjoyment of remodeling parts of their houses to display a brewery, wine cellar and bar. I haven't seen or heard of anyone doing any such thing for the chocolate.

Finnias Yurl

Finnias Yurl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I run trades to Cove and Trinsic with "Nujel'm spices" - sugar, cocoa butter/liquor, and vanilla - so the ingredients themselves are at least providing some role-play. I do feel that putting these rather simple additions to the game would prove beneficial and wouldn't be too difficult to do, either.

Robert Falcon

Robert Falcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Hunter's Moon said:
The Cornucopia was a great idea but.....
...I would rather be given the ability to make my own "Harvest Brew". I know many like myself have asked for this for a long time,but we have been told that this idea "is nice,but not on the radar." I suppose I need to ask a question per the rules of this subforum;so here it is. Can we please have the ability to have a "brewer"?

This addition could bring back into relevence a few skills such as Taste ID(to know when the wine/ale/liquer is ready to be served),Tailoring(leatherworking~wineskins),Cookin g(hops and barley preperations),Alchemy(glassblowing for the liquer bottles and casks),and of course carpentry and tinkering for the kegs and barrels that would hold the wines and ales.

Many like myself enjoy,or would enjoy,hosting our own tavern if given the option to make wines and ales with our own makers mark on the created item,instead of having to go to a provisioner npc to buy the needed item.

Sakkarah replied:
Having a brewery system is definitely something I would like to see in the game at some point. But as you guessed, it is not on the radar right now. Why? Because developping sub-systems and mini-games takes a lot of time and in this case it would also require new art. So when deciding which mini-game to work on, we have to think about the greatest return on investment.

It wouldn't make sense for us to spend weeks/months developping something that only a marginal number of players will take part in. It would need to be something that has a broader appeal and more importantly, something that people will continue to want to do after the novelty wears off. Meaning that we will need to come up with ways for brewed liquor/beverages to be consummables for which there is significant demand and that, as you mentioned, will involve different crafter trades.

In short, we are in favor of adding brewing we just don't know when we'll get around to it. But it's definitely not in the short term.

Well maybe we should slay all the NPC and let players fend for themselves! That way players would have to work the skills!

I had a tavern on Europa and currently have one on Great Lakes. Hauling bottles of drinks (which are not stackable) from NPC to my Inn is a major pain.

MMORPG? Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game

Hmm, Lets see. If this is truly a Role-Playing Game, then there should be interaction between players? But if we are depending on NPCs, then role-playing is not taking place! How do you get people to interact? You make it so they are dependant on one another and not some non-interface NPC. The reason this game has gone down hill is because they have lost focus on what the game is.

Each town should have a basic NPC shop to buy the basics, nothing more, like tool bag, torches, that sort of thing. The rest should be made by Players for players! But it seems that the focus is on…..Well its not RP. Crafters should be the backbone of the game, without them, fighters should be tossing rocks at one another and everyone running around naked. Smiths should make the weapons the fighter use, not taking it off a mongbat or something? Tailors should make the outfits and leather goods, cooks should feed the masses. Maybe some fighter would think twice about bashing in the head of the only guy in the area that can fix or make his weapons?

The things I would do to this game if I were the UO God!

That’s my 2 cents worth, for now!

Finnias Yurl

Finnias Yurl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I think that was the premise of Mortal Online, if it's still in production. Been awhile since I've heard anything about it.

Mirt

Mirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
I think that the devs need to remember just how many taverns they placed in all of the original cities. In Britain there are so many and they are always abandoned. The reason for that is that ordering a name-less face-less "ale" is so boring. If there were something to it people would likely stay around longer maybe even talk about their day. The entire reason that new colors have been added is so that we can make our characters more individual. Being able to order/make specialty brews would be a great way to do this. Imagine ordering a Yew Lager instead of just an "ale". Or at least that is what this beer snob thinks.