Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Save RP on Europa!

- - - - - europa rp save

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Meiko

Meiko

The Green Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Just 10 mins back in game and I managed to set off an impromptu RP event with Grd. Thanks to something happening ingame at the time.. the npcs attacking people. But it gave me something to start just a small event with.

If more than just the leaders of guilds helped to do scenerios etc then there'd be more for everyone to do. Don't script them or force them to happen, just let it be off the cuff and go with the flow, let people take it in any direction it will go. If the outcome isn't exactly how you planned it but everyone had fun then don't worry.

Adammair Walker

Adammair Walker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi

Pardon the intrusion. Alraune and I have moved onto Age of Conan and are having a good time there, but I wanted you guys to know that the RP we found on Europa is the very very finest we ever saw anywhere, in any game, ever. If not for the Atlantic Ocean, had we had been able to play primetime on Europa, we'd be there still.

The standards of RP you guys enforce, the consistency of the world you've made, and the variety of characters with real depth and dimension still amazes me, and we miss it terribly. We were just saying today that, if we could find a game with the Europa standard of RP and modern design, we'd probably abandon real life entirely. Whatever you do, please don't compromise your standards for numbers. You all are pure gold.

Adam

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

The voice of common sense.

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Hi

Pardon the intrusion. Alraune and I have moved onto Age of Conan and are having a good time there, but I wanted you guys to know that the RP we found on Europa is the very very finest we ever saw anywhere, in any game, ever. If not for the Atlantic Ocean, had we had been able to play primetime on Europa, we'd be there still.

The standards of RP you guys enforce, the consistency of the world you've made, and the variety of characters with real depth and dimension still amazes me, and we miss it terribly. We were just saying today that, if we could find a game with the Europa standard of RP and modern design, we'd probably abandon real life entirely. Whatever you do, please don't compromise your standards for numbers. You all are pure gold.

Adam

Well... just.... d'awwwwwwww. :o

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Van Cocidius

Van Cocidius

The World Is Mine

• Members
  • 4,221 posts
Then it is settled!

Posted Image

Declan O'Connor

Declan O'Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
This thread is full of love now.

..I feel so warm and fuzzy. :P

Escaflowne/Balgus

Escaflowne/Balgus

Ironclaw Commander of Minoc [:M:]

• Members
  • 5,561 posts
*Hugs the thread*

J06K4AG.png

Dubois

Dubois

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
So we are back to this then huh? The old, "we are dying, what do we do?" situation.

Well the solutions are all quite simple, its just the players that make it terribly complicated! I have been around this community for so long now, and it pains me to see everyone doing this to themselves. Now I am going to capitalize my words so I HOPE with all my heart, you guys consider them to have value and result in action.

I think we all know, but it must be said that it is "THE ROLEPLAY" what keeps people playing, not the fancy graphics, the items ect ect. ITS THE ROLEPLAY.
THE ROLEPLAY IS DYING! We can keep denying this fact, and say "Plenty of people when we make events ect ect". But in general we are going extinct! We all know this, stop saying it isn't true. It is not for nothing that BoC downgraded cause there was not enough people to be called an "army", or that VTC is almost inactive, or that Trinsic is just so painfully empty!

Now then, what do we do? We all know the solution but we over think things. To get more activity you need to be in closer proximity. We all know that we interact more with the guilds that are closest to us! You can take any example and see that this is in fact very truthful. There are older examples like CoY, or examples from the fractured system we have now. For example -V- and VTC, or DoT and the guilds that lived around Trinsic. It is all about activity and spontaneous roleplay.

So there are a few solutions.
-MOVE YOUR CHARACTERS TO A SMALLER SPACE-
Yes this is a solution. But people keep saying over and over again that this wont work. Ill take the moot as an example. It was FUN = It worked!

Now where would you go ect ect. This is all up to yourself.
The Reason to move- PLENTY of REASONS and you can keep them realistic.
Europe went through some of the worst periods of human history!

For example -THE BLACK PLAGUE HITS BRITAIN-
Now get your character and move it before it dies! Simple!!!!

Where to move to? Decide amongst two/three guilds and the rest will follow.
For example, move to Yew. "Why on earth would i do that" First, LOTS of HOUSING SPACE FOR GRABS! Second, it is extremely large! THIRD, the tree's look cool :P

OR if people really have a problem with an established guild being there, move to Britian! Outside of britain = LOTS of space, and its empty these days =no taints and + The city is very large.

SECOND IDEA -Make a new character- Now this wont work until you have an establishes community in one space. And we love our characters. So at this point it is wasted time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But the real reason why I am writing this is because I love u guys! We are one of a kind!
It be such a shame to lose the bundles of creativity that we are! Seriously, we have so much imagination other people could only dream about. It really only takes ONE person to set this into motion. Stop over thinking it, it is not as if we are the European Union or anything. We wanna play and have fun and enjoy to see what other people can come up with. So lets just play, and do what is necessary so we may enjoy each others company a lot longer. IT ONLY TAKES ONE PERSON TO CHANGE EVERYTHING!
(I wish it could be me but I have no time this year, maybe next year once I graduate)

Tim Lems or better know ig as: Tiolas Amildor, Amelie DuBois, Ginger Buizerd, Bark Omarleon, Fata Morgana ect.

Van Cocidius

Van Cocidius

The World Is Mine

• Members
  • 4,221 posts
RP's not dying, God. We're just bored and want a massive scenario. SOMEONE CHANGE THE NAME OF THIS THREAD! It's so misleading..

Posted Image

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
The doom mongers were saying rp was dead on Europa back in 2003/4 - this was "two years after the golden age of UO rp" [Quote from Saktoth by the way].

Its not dying its shrinking due to natural wasteage and new games and ooc spats and quite simply the fact that a lot of role-players have been there, seen it, done it and eaten the pie.
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

Kimi

Kimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I want pie...
:(

It crossed my mind, actually, that threads like these could be a contributing factor.
See, people don't log in because they perceive RP to be "dead" or whatnot. So, they come to the forums, and see that their perception of Arrpus Mortus is confirmed, and feel less inclined to contribute to the group effort of RP.
Plus, it highlights the OOC differences, and all, that exist and contribute.

Vierna

Vierna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
Totally agree with you Kimi.

In fact a thought occurred to me as I read your post. If all the ex-players who use these type of forums stopped reminiscing through rose tinted glasses, telling us current players how great the past was, how we should be doing this and doing that, how this should work and how that will not, how we should be doing this sort of thing or that sort of thing to improve things, actually got back in game instead of finding excuses not to then maybe the RP scene will thrive again. It only takes a conversation between two characters to kick off a scenario.

Posted Image

Shunsaki

Shunsaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
It is simple... we must kill the batman.

If that somehow fails to be sufficient, take notion of what Su-mi so eloquently put, those who want an active environment; gather around each other.

That's not going to just happen due to reasons listed by others, most notably pride and the refusal to discard hard work, so a good step would be to form a 'coalition of the willing'. In specific the larger guilds, get the GM's together, force action to be taken if things are really this bad and see if a RP utopia can't be created once more.

It might sound like elitism to leave out smaller guilds, but 'survival' isn't meant to be pretty. Filter out bad elements like scattered, small guilds by ignoring them all together and let the bigger ones band together. Problem solved.

Arman Stark

Arman Stark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
I missed most of the last Britain moot due to working late shifts, but what I saw and was part of was pretty fun. Having all the guilds centred in Britain was pretty cool. My poor Veetie's Templar costume wasn't quite up to scratch and he got whipped by the Yewians.

If you bypass the West bank, Britain's quite a nice city, large enough to accommodate several groups.

Raiden

Raiden

Grenadier Captain, Baronship of Cove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
[quote name='callumf']The doom mongers were saying rp was dead on Europa back in 2003/4 - this was "two years after the golden age of UO rp" [Quote from Saktoth by the way].[/quote]

Ahhhh.... So it's been dying since before I started RPing then? ;)

[quote name='callumf']Its not dying its shrinking due to natural wasteage and new games.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

[quote name='Kimi']It crossed my mind, actually, that threads like these could be a contributing factor.
See, people don't log in because they perceive RP to be "dead" or whatnot. So, they come to the forums, and see that their perception of Arrpus Mortus is confirmed, and feel less inclined to contribute to the group effort of RP.
Plus, it highlights the OOC differences, and all, that exist and contribute.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Though we usually have similar threads as this each year and the RP community is still going.

[quote name='Vierna']Totally agree with you Kimi.

In fact a thought occurred to me as I read your post. If all the ex-players who use these type of forums stopped reminiscing through rose tinted glasses, telling us current players how great the past was, how we should be doing this and doing that, how this should work and how that will not, how we should be doing this sort of thing or that sort of thing to improve things, actually got back in game instead of finding excuses not to then maybe the RP scene will thrive again. It only takes a conversation between two characters to kick off a scenario.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you Vierna. ;)

[quote name='Himasa']It is simple... we must kill the batman.

If that somehow fails to be sufficient, take notion of what Su-mi so eloquently put, those who want an active environment; gather around each other.

That's not going to just happen due to reasons listed by others, most notably pride and the refusal to discard hard work, so a good step would be to form a 'coalition of the willing'. In specific the larger guilds, get the GM's together, force action to be taken if things are really this bad and see if a RP utopia can't be created once more.

It might sound like elitism to leave out smaller guilds, but 'survival' isn't meant to be pretty. Filter out bad elements like scattered, small guilds by ignoring them all together and let the bigger ones band together. Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's quite time yet for everyone to pack up their bags and head to Yew, Britain, Papua or wherever as suggested here, in last years similar thread and probably in threads prior to that, I do feel that the community's current GMs work closer than ever and perhaps have better working relationships than their predecessors.

In short... Don't panic. The RP community is still very much alive for anyone who wishes to take part in it. It isn't dead. It'll probably still be around until EA eventually turn off the servers and many of us will still be here then.

If you want to make an impact on the RP scene then get in game and start roleplaying.

Van Cocidius

Van Cocidius

The World Is Mine

• Members
  • 4,221 posts
This thread has killed arrpee lulz.

Seriously, it's not good advertisment for outsiders coming to Europa wanting to arrpee then seeing this thread about it being "dead". This thread has done more damage than good, it ends now!

Posted Image

Arjenin Karjaar

Arjenin Karjaar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
RP on Europa, yea everything about it is great, but what I like most is the RoE. Now this might not even be my two scents...but at least its one!

:D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: europa, rp, save