Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Save RP on Europa!

- - - - - europa rp save

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Sineal Walker

Sineal Walker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I for one would relish the chance to RP a different role. Obviously there'd be similarities between my characters, but if people made a conscious effort not to make a replica of their old one then they wouldn't be clones. And even if they were, that's not the point of the exercise - the point is to give people a fresh chance to interact with other players through their characters, where currently it is impossible, and bring the community together. There's no legitimate IC reason for refusing to interact with others on the basis of them being damn dirty Yewish, Vesperians or Covians when there's no national loyalties.

And I'm afraid I really don't buy into this "closer proximity" idea. You're only a public moongate, recall scroll, magicians portal or a few minutes jog from the next community. If you "really" want to interact with other members of a community does it "really" matter whether you are housed on the same street or strungout as we are now. If you are looking to interact with someone how long does it really take to visit each active player run town in turn? 5 minutes? less?

We have everything already in place. Just use it?

A five minute run (Generally takes me 10 mins to run to Cove BTW) is far more of a disincentive to interact than you would think. During CoY, there was constant every day interaction between all the guilds. Partly this was due to a more liberal culture concerning interaction - nowadays, you're liable to get your guild peaced if your character legitimately gets into a fight whilst in another guilds territory, especially some places. But mostly it was because people were so close and there were so many neutral places where you were pretty much guarenteed interaction. Nowadays you have to walk right into the heart of an enemy guilds territory for any chance at interaction, which in some cases isn't realistic and is tedious when you have to commit yourself to a long trek to go there.

At the end of the day the proof is in the pudding. I can only speak from personal experience, but there's hardly any spontaneous inter-guild interaction nowadays. It all has to be staged, which makes it all dull and predictable. Pretty much no one stops by SK nowadays, whereas we'd have constant visitors, both friendly and (mostly) hostile, in the CoY days. The community wasn't any bigger then and Grd wasn't on better terms with everyone else. The only explanation is the massive change in proximity.

Devante

Devante

Who ?

• Members
  • 2,238 posts
If i were to stop playing Devante and start a new character somewhere else i'd probably just lose interest and leave, skills aside it's take years to build devante into the character he is with reputation etc, so while it's a good idea to start a fresh, i probably wouldn't bother.

All thats needed is active gathering points, every community has it's "West gate" that Trinsic has, in Vesper it's Swaggers, Grd has Stonekeep and every Friday a lot of people gather in the Rose, so for now as long as these are kept active then events will spawn from them.

Gerek Darkheart

Gerek Darkheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I guess Europas RP community is a self destructing one. People are too commited to their characters that they don't see any intrest in starting something new and reformed. I'm sure we will be able to go on for a good time still. This discussion has proven that.

Then I just want to ask who would be willing to move to an area (with existing characters) to try and establish some kind of in-zone-RP?

Edit:
Maybe I should make myself clear.
My vision would be to gather all peoples crafters and "normal folk" in one place. Yew actually, why? Yew has an active guardsman force. Keen on taking care to whatever that concerns Yew. Why not Vesper? There's a civvie war. Why not COVE? There's no freedom for housing and the town is too compact. Usually peoples crafters doesn't have any RP history as you don't use them for RP.

I'm not saying people should leave their guilds or that I'd be making a new guild. People should stay in their old guilds, just fill a place with random...normal townsmen.

I know many will complain on me for trying to move RP to Yew and favour GRD. But really isn't it worth a shot? See what comes out of it? At least we could try. I'm sure it's not such a big loss if people started to use their crafters a bit more when it comes to the RP. I see too many trying to be the thoughest fighter or best in Pvp. I'd just think it'd be fun with a change, and I'm curious of how it would turn out.

Therefore I wonder who would be intrested in such an idea?
Posted Image

Van Cocidius

Van Cocidius

The World Is Mine

• Members
  • 4,221 posts
I would move it it revolved around a scenrio.. why would the Chancellor pack his bags and just start living somewhere else?

Posted Image

Raiden

Raiden

Grenadier Captain, Baronship of Cove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

I guess Europas RP community is a self destructing one. People are too commited to their characters that they don't see any intrest in starting something new and reformed. I'm sure we will be able to go on for a good time still. This discussion has proven that.

Then I just want to ask who would be willing to move to an area (with existing characters) to try and establish some kind of in-zone-RP?

Edit:
Maybe I should make myself clear.
My vision would be to gather all peoples crafters and "normal folk" in one place. Yew actually, why? Yew has an active guardsman force. Keen on taking care to whatever that concerns Yew. Why not Vesper? There's a civvie war. Why not COVE? There's no freedom for housing and the town is too compact. Usually peoples crafters doesn't have any RP history as you don't use them for RP.

I'm not saying people should leave their guilds or that I'd be making a new guild. People should stay in their old guilds, just fill a place with random...normal townsmen.

I know many will complain on me for trying to move RP to Yew and favour GRD. But really isn't it worth a shot? See what comes out of it? At least we could try. I'm sure it's not such a big loss if people started to use their crafters a bit more when it comes to the RP. I see too many trying to be the thoughest fighter or best in Pvp. I'd just think it'd be fun with a change, and I'm curious of how it would turn out.

Therefore I wonder who would be intrested in such an idea?

I'm sure Yew is a very viable location, but with all due respect I think your knowledge of Cove's citizenry is a little inaccurate Gerek.

We have an active civilian element, petty criminals, mercs keeping the peace, orcs roaming around. People place orders with the citizenry via a task board and citizens can indulge in spontaneous and freeform RP too in order to advance themselves.

We have a market square right outside the town gates, a town hall, a player run tavern, a church, a harbour for trade, etc. etc.

Theres plenty of green space along the southern coast and in the shire for small to medium sized housing. There's even space for housing right next door to our church and tavern.

And isn't a "compact" community what some people here are looking for? ;)

However I think the day we needs to regress into a single town guild/communtiy is far off yet and I see no real value in doing so now. Let's embrace the community and diversity we have rather than selling ourslves short.

EDIT: Isn't the fact that there IS a civil war in Vesper an ideal opportunity to create activity for civilians? Rather than removing them from this area to RP elsewhere? Wont' repairs to damaged buildings need making. Won't those displaced by the fighting need feeding and rehousing, wont the warriors of each side need camp followers to cook and care for them?

Escaflowne/Balgus

Escaflowne/Balgus

Ironclaw Commander of Minoc [:M:]

• Members
  • 5,561 posts
Again Gerek it wouldn't work unless all the citizens went to RP around a neutral area. Why should people log on their alts to go create RP in guild's areas wether it be Yew, Cove, Vesper, Trinsic or whatever and just abandon their own area decreasing activity there.
If it was a neutral location then all guilds would loose the same activity in their area and thus theres a little fairness about it.

J06K4AG.png

Gerek Darkheart

Gerek Darkheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Another idea in same concept would be moving these "villagers" around in different towns, depending on what the situation looks like. If I were to be in a city where a civil war is going on, I'd be thinking more about moving out than staying. The problem here would be that it would be the same people in all towns, which isn't really too realistic.

Instead of having one event in Vesper, Cove or Trinsic, we'll choose one town to focus on for an unknown time period. And run the events there, along with putting our crafters/nonmilitary in as townspeople.
Posted Image

Gerek Darkheart

Gerek Darkheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Anyone at least intrested in the idea, please contact me 345485202. To discuss it further.

Feel free to continue this thread if you wish. But I've gathered what I wanted to know and I've taken the critisism of the idea in thought. To learn from. I'm still optimistic to the idea, anyone feeling the same optimism or having more constructive opinions do contact me and we'll have a chat =).

Thanks to everyone for taking part in the discussion though!
Posted Image

Declan O'Connor

Declan O'Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
I like to think that I'll be with UO and Grd until UO dies, there has been talk of transferring guilds to a new game when UO dies.

To me.. UO makes Grd. It is not Grd without UO, I would rather stay with Grd and give it a proper 'send off' than to abandon it in some community saving project.

I'm sure this is the same for many people, that their guild is their game and without it they wouldn't be playing, it's the same for me.

If this project were to go ahead, yes.. you might centralise the community but probably halve it in the process. We might be sitting on a 'time bomb' but this project imo is just setting it off entirely.

Gerek Darkheart

Gerek Darkheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
It's understandable that people are protective about the current RP. Still I think it's needs a discussion. I also went to the Atlantic boards to see what responses I'd get from there.

I'd like people to read the discussion through. It gets pretty intresting in the end.

Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards :: View topic - Save UOs RP?
Posted Image

Sineal Walker

Sineal Walker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Seems to me to be mostly a circle jerk about how much 'better' their excessively high fantasy RP is to our 'plain' RP, and that us lowly natives should be civilised and brought to Atlantic, the land of milk and honey.

IMO, if you have to resort to making quarter human, quarter elf, quarter dragon and quarter earwig type chars to make RP interesting instead of relying on character depth, it's not a good sign. Not to mention the extremely blurred IC/OOC distinction they seem to accept there, and relying on equipment to determine PvP success rather than skill. I would rather quit RPing altogether than move there - obviously there's no objectively better way of RPing but the Atlantic style strikes me as particuarly shallow.

On the other hand, they make a good point about the relative lack of interguild interaction here. Some might think that's a necessary part of our RP culture, but I still reckon it's quite contingent. But there doesn't seem to be the will to change, especially from those guilds who have set up their relations to secure interguild interaction between themselves whilst excluding everyone else. So, there you go.

Van Cocidius

Van Cocidius

The World Is Mine

• Members
  • 4,221 posts
I'm with Sineal - I'd rather quit UO than join them.. they're more patriotic for their crappy fantasy based shard than we are with our more military based one. Atlantic the best roleplaying shard on UO? Atleast our roleplaying is based around the true heritage that the Ultima series brought us. I personally hate both the Elf and Drow community on Europa because they play no part in Ultima.. Elves are just something EA stuck in to make it attract fantasy fans.. f'kers.

Not my cup of tea - Viva La Europa!

Posted Image

Escaflowne/Balgus

Escaflowne/Balgus

Ironclaw Commander of Minoc [:M:]

• Members
  • 5,561 posts
Yes i agree with Sineal too. I was actually quite offended by some of their posts.

J06K4AG.png

Rabid Bogling

Rabid Bogling

A Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
And do you not think that Europa's roleplaying scene is superior? Are they not entitled to the same liberty? Their style differs from the common standard in Europa, undoubtedly, and they duly acknowledge the difficulties that could arise as a consequence of mixing the two. It's no biggy.

I certainly don't think a merging of shards is desirable, either way. They've made mention of timezones, and speaking as someone who has roleplayed almost exclusively with Americans and Canadians since leaving UO, it can grow to be quite a pain.

Declan O'Connor

Declan O'Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

since leaving UO,

You are not helping!

Sineal Walker

Sineal Walker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Well, yes - like I say there's no objectively better way of RPing. Value pluralism, and all that. But they're still smugly asserting their superiority and dissing our RP scene unprovoked, so I think it's justified to respond in kind.

Rabid Bogling

Rabid Bogling

A Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

You are not helping!

And by jove, I'd be back in a instant if I had the dosh to spare!

Ditriteous/Locke

Ditriteous/Locke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Isn't the idea of RP to play a role? not 4 or 5 in one character like they seem to do?

Posted Image

The views and opinions of this user are in no way affiliated with his respective guilds, in conclusion F**K OFF!

Declan O'Connor

Declan O'Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
It's also to play one realistically.

I wouldn't have a freaking clue how a half vampire half cat would react to a half rat half demon running across the path infront of it. Would the cats instincts take over, or would the vampire flee the demon?!

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

The voice of common sense.

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
What's always fucked me off the most is people's hesitance to actually act.

These threads always present me ample opportunity to try and suck my own dick - but to some extent I've just cause. For better or for worse, I've pretty much conjured an idea and thrown myself headlong into doing it from the start of my RP career to the next.

Until people become willing to do the same they're not really going to make any productive change.

The more you think about something, the more you'll find reasons to not do it. If the Henry Winters or the Raiden Moranas or the Escaflownes think that a closer community would save UORP, for a little while, then they just need to invent a cheap excuse and do it. People put way, WAY too much thought into saving concepts.

Newsflash: All of your concepts are boring, contrived clich├ęs (Thf and Rbl were no exceptions.) They're bog-standard, formulaic and basic - they work in any setting. Most of you just play militias, petty criminals or mercenaries - that works everywhere. Find a fair sized plot in Yew, claim that Cove got lost to Orcs and you were forced back into a small village in the next township over. Claim pirate traders over-ran Vesper and it's Baron & Guards were forced into exile in, erm, Yew and hey presto.

People will forget how corny and forced the idea was within the first week of roleplay if they start having fun. The entire Rbl campaign was based around a crap, two second organized burning over an NPC I made 10 seconds earlier and got Madsen's churchy to torch. Hey presto, event.

The single, biggest curse on UO has always been this. People want to talk and plan too much. Stop talking and planning, get in game and on ICQ and DO.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: europa, rp, save