Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Worth returning to UO?

- - - - - returning uo worth

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Henry Winter B^F

Henry Winter B^F

Brigand

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
I havnt been in game in a regular way in a fair while but i am sure missing Ultima RP! From the looks of the forums here and uo forums things seem very quiet. I know from other boards that many leaders are active, but what about day to day stuff? Is there much going on for the general player or is role play in UO down to a small number of loyal die hards these days? Anything worth opening up those old accounts for? Be honest guys!

Posted Image

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!

Devante

Devante

Who ?

• Members
  • 2,238 posts
I think if you have to ask then your hearts not truly in it ;)

Posted Image

Gwen Irima

Gwen Irima

Lost elf

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationHolland
uo is as it has been the past years :) i dont think it has changed much since your last goodbye.

Posted Image
-oOo- About Elves -oOo-

Raiden

Raiden

Grenadier Captain, Baronship of Cove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
I don't think things have changed much as Gwen says. Some days are busy for some guilds some days may not be so busy.

I think there's pretty much something going on somewhere on any given day, so there's role play opportunities to be had for sure.

For all it's perceived flaws I honestly think UO is THE place for RP.

Van Cocidius

Van Cocidius

The World Is Mine

• Members
  • 4,221 posts
Depends how much you miss the arrpee. Bare in mind it's £10 a month to play, do you really think you're going to get your pounds worth? I personally still think so.

Okay so alot of the big gamers have left, but there's more than enough hanging around to get things going. To echo Raiden, there's something going on somewhere most evenings, and if there isn't sort something out yourself.

There's plenty of PvP going on if that's more your thing too, with the war between Rebels and Loyalists kicking off again. Still, it's your money, your choice. I know you're back and forth more than anybody else I've seen play the game, so make sure it's a certain yes if you do return.

Posted Image

Abigail

Abigail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Is there any random RP to be had? Or do guilds stick to themselves and their own things?

Raiden

Raiden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
I guess if you call by the various towns with RP based guilds there will be random events/rp whether it be in a tavern, patrolling borders, training, hunting or gathering around a city gate.

Each guild has it's own things going on individually as well as multi guild events such as festivals, markets, talent contests, games and tavern nights.

Abigail

Abigail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
So you basicly have to be a member of a guild to do anything with that guild save for the big multi guild events?

Raiden

Raiden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

So you basicly have to be a member of a guild to do anything with that guild save for the big multi guild events?

I'm sure all guilds will be eager to roleplay with your character should you venture into their town unguilded. That's probably the best way to sample the different styles of rp and levels of fantasy of each of the guilds if you are thinking of joining up.

Just because you are "blue" doesn't mean you can't join in the fun.

Abigail

Abigail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
I know, but if I have to run around looking for people out hunting or training to get a chance of some RP, I see not real point in coming back.

Devante

Devante

Who ?

• Members
  • 2,238 posts
So you want us to come to you ?

Posted Image

Van Cocidius

Van Cocidius

The World Is Mine

• Members
  • 4,221 posts
Dev, sort out an open hunt for anyone to take part in!

Actually, sod you, my friggin' idea.

Posted Image

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
What players like Henry and Jhaniara want is never going to be a reality in UO ever again.

You/they/we want daily, casual, non-preordained, interesting, exciting, unusual, startling, witty and dangerous role-played encounters.

Things to make you smile and make you laugh and make you worried and excited as you watch your screen wondering what's goign to happen next.

Those things which hooked you into role-play back when you started and got you coming back for more and thinking "Wow that was fun".

But those things require a large player base [ you need a minimum of 200 players ] populating a few cities with interesting and unique guild ideas and structures and unique and interesting characters to bump into and also players willing to make interesting scenarios for other people to join in.

But that isnt how UO is now.

UO is a niche market role play game with a good hardcore of role players and characters but there are seldom "new" players to interact with. The role play I see is still top quality and still interesting but it does lack the zest and sparkle of role play of years gone by simply down to the lack of players to meet/interact with.

Unless there is a UO2 or a 3d version of UO this trend will just continue.
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

Abigail

Abigail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks for the answer Callum :)
All you need to do though us convince enough of us that it's all like the old days, and everyone will want to come back ;)

Raiden

Raiden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
I must say I don't entirely agree with callumf. ;)

Granted, the playerbase has decreased from years gone by and with it the RP community, but essentially like most things, you have to go out there and make it happen.

You can't just sit there and hope things happen to you.

There's enough links to the RP community on this site and notices of upcoming events etc. for you to have a look around and interact with people. You don't even have to reactivate your account to do it. I'm sure there's a free trial kicking about somewhere.

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
Like I keep saying - yes there is still damn good role play about.

Yes it is still awesome at times.

BUT for the likes of Henry and Jhaniara and anyone who remembers the times in 2003-4 you will recall feelign like it was a real alive and active world.

There was literally stuff going on everywhere.

When you went to NUjelm you had to port into the docks and if you didnt have a visa you got kicked out. See the difference? It was *real* and felt real. They didnt have to welcome in rpers for ooc reasons as the city was truely alive with players and characters livign out their daily lives as guards, the vizier, her advisors, trade ministers, assasins, the list was endless [for a while].

If Callum wanted to have sime fun he could go to Nujelm and find characters willign to join in and throw themselves into plots, sub-plots and intrigues. The islands most powerful In character character was hardly ever mentioned and is ignored by the histories and when I told the player he said:

"I did a good job then didnt I?"

Ok maybe its rose-coloured glasses time. And its nostalgia time.

Yes I am bitter that all of that has gone.

But honestly you need volume of players to make a real world. Not a single Emperor of Nuejlm wiht One mate playign his body guard. You need an entire social structure to make a city - and that requires numbers.

You could go to *any* of the role play cities [including Naeloth , Vesper , SPiritwood ] and be guaranteed role play by bumping into people - that need volumes of players.
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

Abigail

Abigail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
The question is also if it is possible to log on and find random Rp, or if one has to plan ahead when there are events, as that is the only evenings there are actually RP to be found?

Kimi

Kimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I can't speak for anywhere else, but there's usually people around in the evening in Trinsic, just RPing.
I imagine the same can be said for most other places.

Escaflowne/Balgus

Escaflowne/Balgus

Ironclaw Commander of Minoc [:M:]

• Members
  • 5,561 posts
Aye get a few RP'ing at Swaggers in Vesper on some nights, i've been to Cove on a few nights looking for people to RP with and found some Covians just RP'ing casually, Trinsic has folks RP'ing casually there in evenings and im sure stonekeep does too, and probaly the other guilds that keep to themselves. Casual RP can still be found, just not as much of it, and not as many people doing it, and you have to be prepared for some nights to be fairly dead, but then some nights can be fairly active :)

J06K4AG.png

Van Cocidius

Van Cocidius

The World Is Mine

• Members
  • 4,221 posts
UO is doomed, do not return.

I'd quit in the blink of an eye if there was a MMO out there that could quench my thirst for roleplaying! Yet there isn't, and thus I'm stuck, for all eternity..

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: returning, uo, worth