Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Some Questions to former and current UO players

- - - - - current players questions uo

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

Paladis

Paladis

Grumpy Old Git

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
ffs...it was supposed to be Olaf Twothumb i sent ye to kill!!...bugger..

Born to be Grumpy so get used to it
General Paladis
Army of Kaldor

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

The voice of common sense.

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Nonce???!!!!....I'll treat that remark with the contempt it deserves.

Prove me wrong. I actually WANT you to prove me wrong.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Arius

Arius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Well, reasons why I left was because of all the constant incessant whining whenever a guild lost a fight. That contributed to less pvp, which I think is actually the main reason why -V- became inactive. Let's face it, we were the pvp addicts that some former poster mentioned. At our peak we had atleast one fight every night and that's what kept out numbers extremely high every night for a few months, where we could easily field 15+ troopers. For me UO was about pvp and RPing like a dick in general, and with less pvp, people that I enjoyed RPing with left, and the rest is history really.

I completely understand that it's a valid point that some people don't like pvp, more power to you. But then don't get involved in a "war" if you won't accept losing. The war between Vesper and Trinsic for instance, it fielded massive activity on both sides at the time, so it was beneficial for both. -RM- would build those damn cool camouflaged bunkers by the gates, they'd check blue players for arms etc etc etc. But when they peaced Vesper then there were a lot of people left with nothing to do anymore except sit around and talk. Also the reason -RM- folded I believe. They were a Trinsic guard force, with nobody to defend against.

There's nothing wrong with that really, but even those people have to admit that things were more exciting and fun back then with all that activity. In the end it boils down to player preference. There wasn't a very big demand for pvp anymore, and so a lot of pvpers left, along with them went some damn fine RPers. And yes, I include myself in that list for vanity reasons! :P

So basically, my whole issue was that fact that nobody wanted to lose. I can guarantee you that if someone invaded Vesper and beat us everytime in battles, Twoey and Hanse wouldn't have whined, none of us would. We would have loved the challenge of repelling the invaders, sadly, the same cannot be said for some other cities.

Oh! And unrealistic RP! I despised that! I mean come on, if you saw a walking talking undead person, wouldn't you freeze in horror and piss your pants? There were far too many "heroes" in UO that weren't afraid of anything. I RPed a gutless coward when I didn't have atleast 4 "boys" behind me...and I was a Liberator in -V-, still had massive flaws.Wasn't the "champion" I was supposed to be known as. Also the people that refused to get mugged even though there are 4 brigands about you with bows, and you STILL choose to fight instead of swallowing your cyber pride and just pay the damn muggers.
My little rant.
Oh, and Thaur Macil is the greatest RPer ever.........*sigh*
Thaur Macil ‎(22:29):
There is no such thing as the female orgasm..

Jessica Nubtus

Jessica Nubtus

White & Nerdy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
1. What are you missing in UO and could it be improved by us players?
What I missed in UO was guilds to interact with, and guilds to interact against. For me, my fondest memory of UO will always be A^K and KTD vs. BoC, -V-, Grd. That whole arc, the defence and attacks, and the military roleplay I had before and after has a fond place in my heart.

2. Do you think we don’t do enough story lines for interactive roleplaying and character development?
Wouldn't know.

3. Any suggestions what could or should be done overall to improve roleplay and get more people having fun at it?
Again, wouldn't know.

4. For those that left, do you consider returning and what would ea have to do?
Not really. I have lots of roleplay to do these days and since, as this thread proves, the propensity of the Europa RP population to squabble and bicker has in no way lessened, I'm afraid there'll be no Jess in town.
http://objection.mrd...o.php?n=1410935

Aisha: "Where do you find these girls!?"

Posted Image

Olk Samsca

Olk Samsca

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Frankly it is players that is the key missing feature. You can do whatever you like, but if you cannot count on much player in game support spinning scenario's is pointless. Its all very well going for some random "lets have some fun today" but if just two people turn up your rather limited. Even if you have some scenario planned your in trouble there. The other problem is that as the number of RPers decline, there is increasingly a sence that activity for one guild is a net loss for another guild. If your guild is doing well and others are doing badly, its not suprising that people want to cross ship. This isn't bad, but it does mean once a guild can no longer command a reasonable turn out a night, they struggle to get back on form.

I also think I did miss the randomness. To use the usual cliche of "back in the day", Samsca could wander across just about all Sosaria looking for something to do. It usually involved getting locked up or being harrassed, but it was entertaining enough. It reached a point however where I felt I couldn't much leave Vesper without some cast-iron IC reason and when I did due to a lack of knowledge about the other cities and places I could rarely find much happening anyway.

I think at a time a few years ago I could know IC (or ooc through dozens of posts on the forums) about lots of scenarios, plots or storylines. Turn up at a certain place and you could get involved. These days I don't have a clue IC and even OOC as the forums are not only less used but more scattered, requiring the checking of multiple different forums. Meanwhile I think the decline of the poste (no insult on any who once wrote for it) was at once both a symptom and a cause.

So something to let people better know where they can be/whats going on and perhaps a greater understanding of non-native (Vesperians in Trinsic, Trinsicians in Vesper etc) RPers would be good. If people won't consolidate, atleast be more permissable about where people can go.

2. Do you think we don’t do enough story lines for interactive roleplaying and character development?

Love them or hate them, there are increasingly few people exist to generate the storylines. I never had a problem with elitism, probably because I became an "elite", but I tend to think due to being willing to get involved in anything that was going on. When your going on and on about how your the greatest, your not saying everyone else isn't, your just offering a hook. Maybe its just that not enough people know how to latch onto this hook. Story lines appeal to a certain number of players, usually the ones more opposed to PvP and the pillars of activity involved in most "PvP" guilds.

Story lines, scenarios and events are not bad. The problem is some of them become little more than evenings entertainment for the higher ups while the rest of the minions were bored stupid. An example would be any meeting where Twothumb and some foreign dignitary would talk, if I wasn't on the council table and instead stuck outside I quickly became bored to tears. Few people I think like spending two hours mute and inactive listening to people drone on and on. (Say no to 12~ hour court cases!!)

3. Any suggestions what could or should be done overall to improve roleplay and get more people having fun at it?

A system which permits greater involvement might be good. Regardless of how long the moot took to plan it was a pretty enjoyable cross-Europa event. Its all very well to say *hey guys, fancy getting involved* but it can be difficult to see how that is actually possible.

Greater flexibility but coupled with greater information as to what was going on.

A clean slate on RP (at least on the remnants of CORE side) might also be an idea. On the otherhand the idea of ending so much history strikes many (including myself) cold. Regardless of this there seems little point for so many self-appointed (except in Vesper, Hurrah!) elites to continue ruling over ever shrinking feifdoms devoid of activity.

But would I be willing to go to Trinsic/Yew and play a peasant? Hmmm.. probably not.

Escaflowne/Balgus

Escaflowne/Balgus

Ironclaw Commander of Minoc [:M:]

• Members
  • 5,561 posts
Bet you were referring to the Kiran Court Case Olk :P

J06K4AG.png

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Bet you were referring to the Kiran Court Case Olk :P

Best court case ever: Terote (aka Leo Madsen/Dirk Faust) fucks up his immensely simple escape route and almost causes the biggest anti-climax in CoY history. :D

Fantastic restraint from any number of Grd to not just wtfpwn him.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Vierna

Vierna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Prove me wrong. I actually WANT you to prove me wrong.

Prove you wrong? What is there to prove?

Either you used the word because you have no comprehension of its meaning, but hey it sounds good. Or you do understand and used it to be deliberately offensive. In both instances it is equally contemptible.

Posted Image

Thorien

Thorien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
"Any suggestions what could or should be done overall to improve roleplay and get more people having fun at it?

Just one: be there! Whereever, whenever "there" happens to be.
I don´t have to tell any of you how to run events, but consider that sharing knowledge means sharing work and responsibility. The more know where something is headed, the more can steer it and spread knowledge/hints for others to get involved."

Sorry Stewan, This is the very attitude that bugged the shite out of me, people with having absolutely no reason to be attending things going there instead of playing their day to day lives. Trinsic used to work because blues came saw the interaction and liked it, because it "felt" like a city. when it stopped feeling like one then guilds other than guards dropped out.

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Prove you wrong? What is there to prove?

Either you used the word because you have no comprehension of its meaning, but hey it sounds good. Or you do understand and used it to be deliberately offensive. In both instances it is equally contemptible.

I didn't really mean prove the slur wrong, I was referring to the statement that accompanied it.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

Trinsic used to work because ...it "felt" like a city

The same could be said of all the cities when they were full of bustling activity - from non role players to role players to whatever.

Vesper Square used to have maybe 100 characters in it on a good night - I recall one Tax Night from the Judges having probably more than that.
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

Stewan Seagull

Stewan Seagull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

"Any suggestions what could or should be done overall to improve roleplay and get more people having fun at it?

Just one: be there! Whereever, whenever "there" happens to be."

Sorry Stewan, This is the very attitude that bugged the shite out of me, people with having absolutely no reason to be attending things going there instead of playing their day to day lives. Trinsic used to work because blues came saw the interaction and liked it, because it "felt" like a city. when it stopped feeling like one then guilds other than guards dropped out.

Basically, i agree. Playing your day-to-day lives and still find something to do would be the ideal.
But with numbers shrinking and people claiming that nothing is happening, actively seeking the "spot of the day" may be what is needed. Even if it requires some twisting of day-to-day life.

Meiko

Meiko

The Green Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

I miss the general RP, whether its little sub-stories or something bigger that alot of people can get involved with. I never liked the scripted events if there wasn't room for others to say something or do things that could give it a drastic turn and some of these seemed to involve the same people too much.

I don't know what storylines are going on atm to comment on that, but it looks like things have gone downwards. But then these kind of threads seem to pop up alot and unless your imersed in the current RP you tend not to notice if things are going sideways.

The main reason I left was because I got fed up of having to be somewhere at a certain time of day to do something to get promoted, or having to organise things at a certain time of day because you wouldn't have enough people turn up otherwise to get it done. Or in some guilds where if you are roleplaying it gets interupted before things start getting done because you have to join a hunt or some other event. I think a bit more freedom other than having to log off or switch to a different char.
More consequential RP too, but sometimes this doesn't work if one guild is so much bigger than another then any battle is going to have an inevitable ending.
I always preferred spontaneous RP to most events that involved dungeons, unless it was somewhere we didn't go very often.

4. For those that left, do you consider returning and what would EA have to do?

The graphics for one thing, since playing WoW and seeing how much better games can be in terms of enviroment. KR doesn't really compare, its still blocky and rubbish. In WoW I do miss that you can't put things down but I think the world would get very messy if you had that ability.

I think scrolls have ruined the game alot, because if you don't have +120 weapons or +25 stats you have a very hard time doing much in pvp and its always the same ones getting noticed for their fights because they have that plus the best armour with the most balanced resists they can get, Its not really a fair playing ground anymore. And no I don't pvp in WoW I've just enjoyed going about things on my own or helping others out where I could, rping with my friends when we met up.

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

I miss the general RP, whether its little sub-stories or something bigger that alot of people can get involved with. I never liked the scripted events if there wasn't room for others to say something or do things that could give it a drastic turn and some of these seemed to involve the same people too much.

Agree with that nearly 100%. But I liked your point on scrolls, too. That said - the roleplay community has the power to stop that, we just won't, because people want to be teh powfulz0r. I'd go back to CoY's LoW at the blink of an eye.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Escaflowne/Balgus

Escaflowne/Balgus

Ironclaw Commander of Minoc [:M:]

• Members
  • 5,561 posts
Yes but people have already spent ALOT of gold on powerscrolls on their characters already, i've spent 120m so far on all of my chars power and stat scroll wise, i never even knew i have made that amount of gold until i added it up. And if that liberty was taken away from them then they would be really pissed off as it would mean a complete waste of time to train it and gold.

J06K4AG.png

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Yes but people have already spent ALOT of gold on powerscrolls on their characters already, i've spent 120m so far on all of my chars power and stat scroll wise, i never even knew i have made that amount of gold until i added it up. And if that liberty was taken away from them then they would be really pissed off as it would mean a complete waste of time to train it and gold.

What's more important? Good, fair, balanced roleplay and RPvP - or your UO gold? /shrug.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Vierna

Vierna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

I didn't really mean prove the slur wrong, I was referring to the statement that accompanied it.

Ah then you really should learn to say what you mean.

I assume you asked a question or made some remark, which may or may not require a response. However given that it was couched with an offensive slur, whatever validity your remark may or may not have had is immediately lost. Why use unfounded slurs or offensive words when trying to find out something? It really is rather tiresome, unnecessary and quite frankly, profoundly immature.

It is quite easy to sit anonymously behind a keyboard to rant in an aggressive and abusive manner. Some will feel intimidated by it, whilst others will rise to bait. Most probably both reactions make you feel good. From me, you get neither. So until you learn, anything you have to say, no matter how valid, I will dismiss with the contempt it deserves.

Now perhaps you will be big enough to apologize for the unwarranted slur. Then again, perhaps not.

Posted Image

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
Equally easy, in fact, is hiding anonymously behind your keyboard and pulling out the old Oxford English, to save face. Time and time again, the intellectually lacking are all too happy to hide behind vocabulary to mask their lack of point. Fortunately I've dealt with my fare share of keyboard warriors and can pluck them out a half mile away.

You can be as snooty as you please, neither swear words nor slurs really discredit. Even Maggie Thatcher's had her brush with obscenity. Stupidity discredits - and I'm far from that, cariad.

Most probably both reactions make you feel good. From me, you get neither

Oh, the irony.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Aryala

Aryala

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Questions have been asked in the hope that they would be answered in order to gain a greater understanding of the interests and wishes of roleplayers.

Please respect that and refrain from turning this into your personal feud. If you want to have a conversation with someone use the PMs, if you want to insult someone do it elsewhere. Not here.*

Keep it civil and let people voice their answers to the questions even if they do not match your own opinions. You can always make new threads if you want to expand on one aspect or other.

Thank you.

*Someone said bold text helps deliver the point. :P

*insert end of annoying mod interference here*

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
Aye, aye, a bit of dust has been thrown up, a few feathers are ruffled, keep it down and don't disturb the picnicers. Sigh. Dull. Careful, now, make sure you delete it all - before someone else comes and agrees with him! ;)

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: current, players, questions, uo