Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Some Questions to former and current UO players

- - - - - current players questions uo

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

Kimi

Kimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Oh here it goes, the whiney 'mature adults' angle from the lot that ironically can't take a bit of flak without acting like children.

Says the one throwing about insults, like we're back in school.

This thread was looking for peoples opinions.
I gave mine.
As have a number of other people.
Opinions are based off people's interpretation of things. since there is no right or wrong, there's no point in arguing about them.
The "truth", as far as the matter of the RP community goes, is going to be similar, based on the collective interpretations of the players.
So, quit telling people they're wrong, insulting them, and going off on one with your oh so mighty attitude.

luminol

luminol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The way I see the current state is in four factions:

Cove
Trinsic
Vesper
Yew

Each has it's own take on things, some are more Anti-PVP roleplay, some have a mix of both and others need PVP like an addict needs a fix.

What is apparent is that some do not get along (understatement of the year ftw) all the time we get people digging their heels in and arguing black is white while others try push for diversity, each faction wants what they want the way they want it.

The supposed united front of GM's we were/are supposed to have seems to have collapsed and is now dominated by the wish not to offend one another and the fear of bringing forth some new ideas because others seem to get off on trouncing on them.

Ask yourself: Is the real reason new guilds fail because interest is lost or because they get trampled by the attitudes of "the elite" or those that know better?

I sure as hell would not want to try make a new guild these days because of the attitudes of most of you people, and it always seems to be the same few that like to come on a forum, unzip their trousers and urinate on something someone is trying to do to HELP

The roleplay community has become a nest of vipers, people have ideas, that idea is released to the wolves, it is torn apart, laughed at, chewed up and spat out. The result? The idea is not used, people stop offering up their ideas and they shut themselves up and revert to roleplaying in a clique of friends who ENJOY roleplay and RESPECT one another.

We are no longer a Community, we are a collection of Clusters and cliques, shaped by ourselves through the treatmeant and attitudes of others.

There is not less roleplay in Europa, far from it, there is loads around (look at how many show up at the big events) but it is now done in smaller groups, or one on one and not as a whole. Because that way people do not have to fear some prat spouting off about things and making them feel belittled, they find comfort in like minded people to enjoy roleplaying and have FUN.

It's always easier to destroy the light within yourself than fight the darkness that surrounds you.

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

The voice of common sense.

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Says the one throwing about insults, like we're back in school.

This thread was looking for peoples opinions.
I gave mine.
As have a number of other people.
Opinions are based off people's interpretation of things. since there is no right or wrong, there's no point in arguing about them.
The "truth", as far as the matter of the RP community goes, is going to be similar, based on the collective interpretations of the players.
So, quit telling people they're wrong, insulting them, and going off on one with your oh so mighty attitude.

I can post far more eloquently, if it would please, but then it wouldn't provoke a reaction and people wouldn't pay attention. T'would be just one more teddy bear in an ever-growing picnic. Bemoan it all you want, bold font and swear words gets the pulses racing. ;)

You might find me offensive, but I personally find the nay-sayers far more provocative than someone with an in-your-face attitude. luminol touched on this and he's right to an extent, but it's not just the poo-pooers and the cliquey elite that cause the problem. It's all those insular, narrow-minded morons that don't (or didn't) want their perfect little world disturbed and choked out their own guilds as a result. The types that actively look to be offended, to peace guilds that disagree and to hide behind their so-called "maturity" to never come down off their high horses and be held accountable for their flaws.

And we know who these people are.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
Thank you Hedlyn for your opinion and good luck with your events.
:)

Declan O'Connor

Declan O'Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
I agree with everything Hedlyn's said.

Trinsic is dead, because you ALL spend to much time in Magincia, and not enough time RPing around West Gate which not only is a popular RPing area, but an area which 'newbies' can run through and think, "'amagawd' i wanna be like them."

The more active guilds, yes they've been to Magincia, for maybe an hour, two hours, three times a week. They're not living there, trying Rping in your own city, and people will come, heck Rbl will come, but we come for what? 2 npc paladins standing at West Gate.
If you want activity, start RPing, ditch magincia, it's a lost cause, and it's draining any RP from Trinsic.

But anyway, Hedlyn ftw!

-Dec

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Thank you Hedlyn for your opinion and good luck with your events.
:)

Translation: "plz stfu" ; )

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Gwen Irima

Gwen Irima

Lost elf

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationHolland
yay put the blame on Trinsic !!! Lets all point fingers at who did it ! Let out all your anger about how all the other people do things wrong ! And please !!! Make people choke on your greatness and how your ideas are the best ones.

or...

simply answer Kaelyns questions with respect to others and let us all share our ideas on how to make things better... as the community that we all would like to become/be.

Posted Image
-oOo- About Elves -oOo-

Declan O'Connor

Declan O'Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
Gwen, no one is blaming Trinsic, i could come up with reasons as to why -V- isn't active aswell, but as the majority of people who're in this thread, are from DoT, or RP in Trinsic, i thought i'd talk about Trinsic.

If you think advice is blaming, then you're mistaken.
And if anyone/anything is to blame, it's magincia.

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

yay put the blame on Trinsic !!! Lets all point fingers at who did it ! Let out all your anger about how all the other people do things wrong ! And please !!! Make people choke on your greatness and how your ideas are the best ones.

or...

simply answer Kaelyns questions with respect to others and let us all share our ideas on how to make things better... as the community that we all would like to become/be.

Ironic, really, because you're one of the people I was actually thinking of earlier. Though, admittedly, I do think the Rose does a fantastic job of promoting spontaneous roleplay - as do all of the active taverns.

And nobody's blaming Trinsic per say. If anything, we're sympathizing with Trinsic and blaming it's leaders for letting it die by poorly nurturing it. But congratulations, you didn't read any of that at all - did you? You just came flying in like the pretentious drama queen you are, threw your toys all over the floor and proceeded to start sulking?

And they question my maturity...

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Rabid Bogling

Rabid Bogling

A Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Heil Hedlyn, eh? :cheers:

Most of what's being said doesn't acctually contradict. The basic underlying point is that; yes, the roleplaying community can do something - but it needs activity first and foremost. The only point of contention is where that activity should be focused. I'm afraid I personally I agree that Magincia seems a waste of time and effort. It's room for roleplay, yes, but not in it's current state. As it stands it's just another scripted invasion, for the PVM maistream. Though RP can involve itself there, it can't really be focused on it. Afterwards, whatever the outcome, then perhaps it might. But for the time being Magincia should be considered a glorified Dungeon. That isn't to say that it's entirely worthless heading there, however. All it really needs is for more people to get involved, and turn it into an RP hotspot, which at the moment it's simply the essence of.

Gwen Irima

Gwen Irima

Lost elf

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationHolland
I read it all, i just don't see the point of all the extra discussion and would rather see Kaelyn's questions answered :)

Posted Image
-oOo- About Elves -oOo-

Thorien

Thorien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
I wonder why new players aren't attracted to come and play uo, when you see such stimulating debates on here?
Perhaps it was busier in the older pre forum days because the soul searching Q & As used to happen on the private forums not in public, or over private chat.

Declan O'Connor

Declan O'Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
Because if you're only going to ask Questions to select individuals, then you're only going to get a select type of answer.
Debates like these release alot of ideas, however they don't work if people take to heart comments that are made.

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

I read it all, i just don't see the point of all the extra discussion and would rather see Kaelyn's questions answered :)

I answered. Someone cried. I offered a reply.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Alderon

Alderon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
1. What are you missing in UO and could it be improved by us players?

Althought i left some time ago, the reasons for why i left seem to remain. I
Mudslining, eliteism & a shortage of players. Those have all been mentioned in this thread already, so i wont go into details.

2. Do you think we don’t do enough story lines for interactive roleplaying and character development?

I dont think that you "need" to have a lot of storylines going on, as long as everyone feels involved. The problem would be getting everyone involved in those that are going on thought.

3. Any suggestions what could or should be done overall to improve roleplay and get more people having fun at it?

A more "newbie" friendly enviroment. When i atempted to roleplay as a blue, most people ignored me. If that had been my first experiance with the RP community, i would never have joined it. Mayhap it would be a good idea to have some more events that dont require you to be guilded (like markets (and cow tipping contests ;)) ).

4. For those that left, do you consider returning and what would ea have to do?

I did consider returning, up intill the point when A^K folded. EA would have to do a lot to make me return to the game. The game itself was getting old, i had seen almost everything, killed several champions/bosses, and collected several rare sashes. EA would need to renew the game (agin).

Stewan Seagull

Stewan Seagull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

The one thing we can all agree on, is that there are to little of us. And sadly little we can do about it, but advertising. I think the DoT Healing Station in Magincia, the Grd festival week and markets and recruiting drives done by others (LB and -V-, are two that i know of) are just the thing to catch a few more RPers.
The other thing i miss is involvement. If you got something running or plan to do so, go out and tell, spread rumours, let the RP-world know. Rbl/Hedlyn is a very good example of that, with it´s almost daily reports. A revolt may not be my type of event, but at least i know it´s happening. If there were freedom fighters to hide or feed, or weapons/armor to be smuggled i´d be right in, and surely some others too that have more experience with such.

2. Do you think we don’t do enough story lines for interactive roleplaying and character development?

There are enough storylines. Some are rather exclusive and not likely to get much attention, others could be open to all.
Lord Fargo of Tremere ghosts around in Trinsic trying to get his bones recovered, Gargoyles looking for help with a book theft, the Chesapeake/SCT hunt for the Books of Sin, just to name a few. And, looking from the outside, Esca is very active trying to get Vesper some action.

3. Any suggestions what could or should be done overall to improve roleplay and get more people having fun at it?

Just one: be there! Whereever, whenever "there" happens to be.
I don´t have to tell any of you how to run events, but consider that sharing knowledge means sharing work and responsibility. The more know where something is headed, the more can steer it and spread knowledge/hints for others to get involved.

Vierna

Vierna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

.....while some drow nonce uses it to boost her own profile.......

Nonce???!!!!....I'll treat that remark with the contempt it deserves.

Posted Image

Paladis

Paladis

Grumpy Old Git

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
Left UO awhile back now and before that was logging in less and less so cant comment on any of the stuff going on at present ingame.

In the year (roughly) leading up to me and many of the A^K members starting to leave RP on the shard between guilds got more and more frustrating. Everything we came across seemed to have some sort of running script and any attempt to interfere was met with offers of 'Handbags at dawn!' type attitude.

Within A^K itself i always tried to encourage spontaneous RP,at times i'd even plant the seed of an idea (usualy with an off the cuff comment) and watch it grow without any more involvement....people enjoyed it,more and more got involved and all was good. Biggest problem i've seen with most scenario's even in early discussions is they're far far too scripted which often leads to people getting to a point they wont get involved as they dont know the script. Add to that people spitting thier dummies out if its not going the way they intend and its not very encourageing for your general RPer at all.

On a personal level i got to a point i'd refuse to get involved with any script. I agree afew ground rules and a start point are good....but a start,middle and end all sorted out on a forum 2-3 weeks before a scenario starts? no thanks.

Think the last enjoyable Multiguild scenario ,for me, that was worked out day to day was the Moongates scenario (conjured up by Corpus Deus i seem to remember) which every single person who got involved enjoyed.NO whines or Complaints just good fun. IF those sort of scenario's were allowed to happen more often i'm pretty sure people would return (maybe not even have left in the first place).

Hmm..waffled on as usual.Basically afew things killed UORP for me:

1) People believeing the world must revolve around them and bugger everyone else
2) Far far too much planning of any event leaving minimal scope for spontaneous RP.
3) some believeing GM stood for God Mode and not Guild Master.
4) People unwilling to accept its only natural to loose from time to time, be it a fight or some land.

pretty sure there's more but kinda lost track.

Roleplay should be allowed to grow naturaly and the only rule being Consideration for others...no scripts,but thats only a personal view.

Born to be Grumpy so get used to it
General Paladis
Army of Kaldor

Goober

Goober

Goober

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Kealyn’s questions & my 2 cents worth.
For general player base I have to give thumbs up even if thin on the ground. I have spent time recently has a Blue and was fairly widely interacted with. Having spent years on this shard doing the Blue RP thing before finally joining a guild I would have to say it was a rather good result. Not just one guild here or there but players from every major guild ( including Skara) were more then willing deal with my typo‘s.

I would like to see stories like Fargo’s bones, the books of Sins etc in a more unified position out side of game so people that play in different time zones or only get a 3 or 4 days a week to really RP can seamlessly join in. Once the general ground rules are set a real story should have a life of its own ( as Paladis stated) so any character can effect it. Even in a small way.

A unified plot board would also help to direct interested ( ie recruits) to a board so they can get small over view then link to more details as they wish. It is also something we can do as a general player base with out the Gm’s having to hammer out all the details. If we can agree to it and spread the word. Down side is posters might have to keep things short & sweet and thus make two posts of an event.

I would have to say see answer for #2. I know some people like say all the RP moves to the boards but things are not to that state ( in my opine)and having a definite go to place to track ( in a thumb nail fashion) what going developing is what would replace IC “over hearing a rumor”.

I like the theory of concentrating the player base. Weather it around a few cities close together or close to the Moongates would not matter to me as much. I realize Theory is a whole lot more different then practice.

I am not sure I have ever left. I have been dormant for several weeks at a time , as real life demands, but never closed my master account. I have found most of those that leave return when life permits but then I am also probably in the older edge of the age demographic that plays.

Snubson

Snubson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Missing....hrm, not that much really, dont miss the whines on icq, dont miss the whines in the guildchat, dont miss parts where people always seemed to go out from their way to annoy others...for..no reason *shrugs* other than they fancied they could do so anyway. Miss maybe the points when things used to be lighthearted and not scripted to such high levels...and miss the times when fights used to errupt randomly...and not after 15 minutes of babble while 25 of the mans mates turned up randomly as the fights used to occur. Can the players fix this? doubt it as much as the question should be "should the players fix this?" its been the norm, or was anyway, for 2-3 years prior to myself leaving.

Stories used to be random...used to be nonescripted...Kain twothumb getting killed by LB took...5 minutes to come up with and that was that, the end of the planning. The rest was random. The curse scenario took a tiny bit more planning (in the most sparse sense of the word planning ever) "ok, we goto skara, we fight between the guilds, whoever still stands after can take it whichever way from then". Then...came the 5-9 week preplanning for....a moot, for a small battle, for a small war etc. It got too much, people who thought it wasnt, took the limelight...an stuff started to only involve 2-3 people mainly...with the stagehands carrying out the fight. Instead of randomness prevailing.

As numpty welshboy said..less talk, more playing. But, looking here and elsewhere the boards (unless private boards are busy) are dead or quiet in anycase. Also maybe not being an arse ingame because you think someones an arse out of the game too. Play the game as that...as entertainment, not a competition to the levels of the olympics, or the european qualifiers and yer not england.

4. For those that left, do you consider returning and what would ea have to do?

Make it a subscription free game, even then...would be doubtful. Maybe stop trying to copy bits off every other mmorpg lately too >.>

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: current, players, questions, uo