Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

EA inks two deals for in-game advertising

- - - - - advertising deals ea ingame inks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
source UO.UHall

Please don't let this happen in UO.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

oh man, imagine a Mc donald's add on a billboard in ultima.

REALLY doesnt fit. they do this, im out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They could always do ingame advertising in UO in a more subtle way.. maybe even a bit of tongue in cheek humour like a tapestry labelled "An Intricately Woven Tapestry of Three Men Engaged in acts of Drunken Revelry", and when you double clicked it it'd open a browser window and take you to the Budweiser website. Or whatever beer it is you Americans drink.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ads will initially appear in Battlefield 2142, apparently because gamers from the future have traveled back in time to tell EA that combat is only realistic when it features billboards promoting Visa.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obviously a fantasy game like UO is off-limits. The fact is, advertising (particularly TV ads) has to change, and product placement is the way to go. I would much rather see a 'McDonalds' billboard in my FPS game than be forced to close a pop-up of the same nature, anyway.

As long as they don't go absolutely overboard with it, I think it's permissable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Perhaps the heralds or town cryers will incorporate a bit. "Stay at the Excalibur when visiting Las Vesper! Dine at Medieval Times!" *groans*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CatHat UO Character/Environments Artist

I would much rather see a 'McDonalds' billboard in my FPS game

FPS - it begs the question - "can i blow the bejezus out of the billboard in an act of collateral damage" or will the sponsor demand his or her ad be bullet hole/damage/scorch mark free.

:) :) :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, CatHat. I'm going to mention this to you since I bet you'll have a voice in how advertising art gets done (if it happens).

Remember Ultima Savage Empire? That was a wonderful and delightful example of real life references being worked into the Ultima Game.

People like the three stooges, for example, were actual NPC's in a pseudo-prehistoric Ultima game, and I loved it.

I bet you could make advertising be delightful, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yes, let's put up advertising billboards, but also, let's make a use for those new vet reward cannons.

wouldnt take a few vet players long to wipe out all the advertising. and destroying billboards gets you a 1:100 chance of getting a rare ingame coupon for a free happy meal at McDonalds

Now there's a delicious artie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Santi

Santi

El Mero Mero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
Great...more garbage.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
What ever happend to being able to order Pizza through an on-line game?

It was supposed to happen, I think Halo2 was supposed to kick it off. Maybe their waiting for 3 to come out.

Santi

Santi

El Mero Mero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
Lol! Ordering pizza while on line. That is all the gamer needs, another excuse for why they don't have to leave the computer. Not all gamers are like that, but I would imagine the majority of US are.

I noticed I put on a few pounds, got a "coke" gut, high cholesterol and my grades in college and my military occupational specialty school suffered. That was my lack of discipline. So, now I ensure I get out and eat right, exercise and don't get locked into my games too much. Well, most of the time :) some games still warrant 12 hours and a nice hot pizza with a coke! But not that often.

I am sure most of you here are more sensible than I was or ever will be.

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Luckily, while I was in the military, I was forced to work-out, so when I did get time for games I didn't have to worry that I went through a 6-pack of beer and a large Papa John's pizza by myself in a night.

Damin

Damin

Don't Panic!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
Papa John's lets you order pizza online dont they?

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Yes they do. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RMS Carpathia

RMS Carpathia

Madien of the Great Blue

• Members
  • 2,443 posts
EverQuest II has a /pizza command... really it does you order it through typing that in... as long as thier is pizza deliver service in your area you are granteed to get it. HAHA! My dad when he was playing it at the time... he used it. It works well ^_^ Got exactally what we ordered! And yes you type it while your IN game.. no minmizing for the net haha! It was an amazing command, I loved it! To bad UO doesn't have it =P Be funny just to do it again =P

-RMS Carpathia-
Posted Image

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
/pizza

*waits at work for his lunch*

Possibly a new feature for the site Adam? hehe

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: advertising, deals, ea, ingame, inks