Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

New playable race: Solved.

- - - - - playable race solved

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
*applauds*

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Tovladian Soltyr

Tovladian Soltyr

Timeless Treasures Co-Owner

• Members
  • 1,521 posts
"and maybe even a dragon/humanoid race."

Wouldn't that be the Juka's? cause if my lore is correct weren't the Meer a humaniod cat race and the Juka's the reptilian humaniod race? I could be wrong it's been so long since I've actually read up on the Ultima history.
Posted Image
Timeless Treasures Auctions on Legends Grand Re-Opening to be announced - Contact me for more info

Terrance

Terrance

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

I'm sorry but this is a debate thread not a 'grief because things should go my way' thread. So please stop whining because not everything goes everyones way. Dwarfs are not some thing from the far future. They're old fiction characters as old as anything in uo *creature based* Just because they were never important in the original series doesn't mean they cant add them in. Why grief? its something or nothing take what you can get and leave it at that until the next race is released.

p.s., I think uo should be more like WoW and less like uo [/sarcasm]

An opposing view or opinion is not "grief". If you can't understand that then perhaps you should take the time to learn what a "forum" is. So please stop whining because not everyone has the same opinions as yourself.

p.s., UO already is more like WoW, taken that direction by the people responsible for DAoC. Can it get any worse?[/truth]

"It isn't over. Your footprints will never fade from Britannia. You shaped
a world of rich treasures and virtuous character. Children who idolized
you have grown into men and women who seek to walk your path.
That's your legacy, Lord British. It's a marvelous thing."

uoc

uoc

Wasting Away in UOville

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I don't mind dwarves coming into UO. As a matter of fact, I think it's a given that it will happen.

However, 10th Anniversaries do not come along very often. We are going to be celebrating 10 years of "Ultima" Online (or 11 if you were in the Alpha/Pre-Alpha).

I think it would be very fitting to see a race(s) that is/are heavily associated with the Ultima series.

Let's say it was dwarves that were added. People aren't going to to pick up the Kingdom Reborn package and say "THEY'VE GOT DWARVES! I MUST PLAY THIS GAME!" because there are a dozen or so (or more by the time KR rolls out) MMORPGs sitting on the shelves around KR with dwarves, including Lord of the Rings Online (maybe). They are going to first say "HOLY **** UO IS STILL AROUND?" (I run into people online and offline that are surprised to find out out UO is still around - either they figured attrition would have killed it or they confuse it with Ultima X: Odyssey) Then they are going to take a look at the graphics/box art, and they may or may not go online to see what's going on (maybe even see if they can activate their old account if they used to play), or maybe they'll pick it up on a whim right then and there.

I don't think dwarves would so much as take away from UO, as something like Gargoyles would add a lot more on UO's 10th Anniversary.

You get one shot at a 10th Anniversary. When they first offered anniversary packages in North America (starting with the 7th - they had 5th Anniversary packages in Japan) they offered Ultimx IX: Ascension. The Eighth Age added a bit of history as well (although more UO than Ultima related). The Ninth Anniversary is adding items that haven't been around since UO's launch (maybe - speculation until we have official word).

The 10th could be really unique. There's already going to be some attention on UO because of the new client, and because it's the 10th Anniversary of the modern pay MMORPGs. They could make it a celebration of UO and Ultima (27 years of Ultima at that point) and release some of the other Ultimas (or all of them - EA published a collection of the first eight plus the Ultima-related or Pre-Ultima games on one CD).

People forget that millions played the Ultimas at one point. Ultima VII is still considered one of the best RPGs of all time. EA needs to tap into that (and they are in a way - EA is in fact releasing a Sony PSP collection of classic games including Ultima VII).

As I said, I predict Dwarves at some point (just as I predicted Elves, although to be honest, I figured they would add Orcs and then Elves, but that was a completly different dev team than what we have now), and I have no problem with Dwarves, I just think they would be better suited for 2008, leaving the 10th Anniversary for "legacy" or "classic" Ultima-related races.

Kratos Aurion

Kratos Aurion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
"An opposing view or opinion is not "grief". If you can't understand that then perhaps you should take the time to learn what a "forum" is. So please stop whining because not everyone has the same opinions as yourself.

p.s., UO already is more like WoW, taken that direction by the people responsible for DAoC. Can it get any worse?[/truth]"

The way you replied to my original post was so over exagerated, their was no other way to explain it other than griefing. You obviously don't want dwarves so you complain. I'm not forcing my ideals against you. I'm only suggesting that dwarves in the long run aren't the worst thing thats happened to ultima nor will they ever be.

People in some cases are acting like this is the end of the line for ultima because one race several people disagree with gets implemented [if thats even the case]. People might be totally backwords and it could be a totally different race.

I remember a poll way back during AoS that showed the statistics of players that wanted a new race and had several to choose from. Dwarves were only second behind elves, which dwarves were like 36% *that was based off of several other races including gargoyles being 3rd*

And I disagree with the fact uo is more like WoW. Just because games share similarities doesn't make them the same. Just because they're both item based games now, does that make them exactly the same? no. Ultima features a lot of material that WoW hasn't brought in yet. The biggest being house placing/customizing which imo is the most noticeable difference.

WoW is a level up system versus Ultima's skill level system. Another noticeable difference which makes them two totally different games. IMO, UO has the better of the two "level" up methods. Although Ultimas training methods may be flawed, the concept is better.

And even if Ultima becomes remotely similar to WoW in all aspects; that wont make it a bad game. WoW is obviously doing something right to maintain 5 million active users. Maybe someday ultima will be able to challenge that amount of subscriptions. Who knows. Its a good game. The only draw backs to ultima are the system reqs, the lag, and the graphics. Even with the new graphics update, I still don't believe ultima would be able to challenge the newer more appealing games on the market.

And finally, I wasn't whining. I was debating against you. Fair game?:-/

Kratos Aurion

Kratos Aurion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

"and maybe even a dragon/humanoid race."

Wouldn't that be the Juka's? cause if my lore is correct weren't the Meer a humaniod cat race and the Juka's the reptilian humaniod race? I could be wrong it's been so long since I've actually read up on the Ultima history.

In a sense this might be true. Honestly to tell the truth tov, I forgot too. But My idea was leaning more toward an actual dragon race. Like dragon/humanoid features like wings, dragon hide skin etc.

But jukas wouldn't be a bad implement either. I honestly don't want an extremely large amount of playable races because although it adds to the game, it kind of gets boreing seeing every wild race as I call them being used as a playable race if you catch my drift.

Kratos Aurion

Kratos Aurion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

As I said, I predict Dwarves at some point (just as I predicted Elves, although to be honest, I figured they would add Orcs and then Elves, but that was a completly different dev team than what we have now), and I have no problem with Dwarves, I just think they would be better suited for 2008, leaving the 10th Anniversary for "legacy" or "classic" Ultima-related races.

Its honestly too bad people don't think like this anymore. I agree that it would be better to get them out of the way then add a surprising twist for the 10th anniversery with a flattering new new graphics update and a selection of legacy races, new character creation additions like more hair styles, body customization features etc. This would truely be an exciting event for the history of UO as of many of the current players.

You have my vote for president of EA! hehe jk:grin:

Som

Som

Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Everygame has humans in it so I really don't see people arguing about that. Do humans make ultima un original because almost all mmos have human races? no. It doesn't matter what gets implemented because I'll say this again; Playable races don't make games original: Its the playstyle and build of the game that does.

While everyone continues to rant until the "big" announcement, I'll just have to say that I'll be content with what ever race they give us.

What he said.

no wait I change my mind UO is just like all the rest we need to get rid of them humans and replace them with something unique to UO maybe Mongbats!

*Insert fabulous signature here*http://www.uoforums.com/image.php?u=2091&type=siguploader&dateline=1114833635

Kratos Aurion

Kratos Aurion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

What he said.

no wait I change my mind UO is just like all the rest we need to get rid of them humans and replace them with something unique to UO maybe Mongbats!

No mongbats. How about something so original like water breathing lava fish mutated into a transformer from the 8th deminsion of the universe sent back in time to warn the world of its future demise.

guess I'll keep dreaming *sigh*:'(

Som

Som

Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

No mongbats. How about something so original like water breathing lava fish mutated into a transformer from the 8th deminsion of the universe sent back in time to warn the world of its future demise.

guess I'll keep dreaming *sigh*:'(

hehe but they are not original to UO and are not already in game you would get people upset again:grin:

how about lava lizards?

*Insert fabulous signature here*http://www.uoforums.com/image.php?u=2091&type=siguploader&dateline=1114833635

Flames

Flames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Elementals would be kind of cool... as long as they don't look like the monsters... with a little flair and personality... different flesh tones from the other races with a nice healthy glow/aura to signify whichever elemental background? Maybe some kind of new cool mounts: air - ethereal looking tamables that have bluish/clear flames rising off the feet like the fire steeds... maybe leaving cloud puffs behind them as they run, fire - other mounts with flames like some type of fire bird or small blaze wyrm (ancient style) or lava something but molten, earth - some type of dirt/mud/rock/stone ridables but shaped like animals, poison - some kind of serpent creature, water - a seahorse styled mount but with legs. Just a thought... anything new would be a bonus!!
Hey... I am just talking here for conversation sake. There are so many additions that would be a bonus to this game... dwarf, gargoyle... anything :)
Posted Image

Som

Som

Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
na you can find elementals in other games too. maybe Solen Warriors? they tunnel it could be them :)

Flames

Flames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Don't get me wrong... I'd enjoy running around with a pair of gossamer fairy wings and sparkles on my cheeks... in a little fairy guise with hair down to my bottom...
I don't think any of it's possible but the ideas are always there with a forum to share them on... just like being able to customize castles/keeps, vampire wannabe's wanting a bat form, so on and so forth. :grin:

I'd be happy transforming into a book as long as it was like the book from Army of Darkness... flying around at people's heads and being able to latch onto a hand... :P

As long as people continue playing... know what I mean?
Posted Image

Tovladian Soltyr

Tovladian Soltyr

Timeless Treasures Co-Owner

• Members
  • 1,521 posts
Wait what about the Pimp cane carry'n, black belt wear'n, super keen jean, kungfu Lizardmen dudes.
Posted Image
Timeless Treasures Auctions on Legends Grand Re-Opening to be announced - Contact me for more info

Adrianna Danere

Adrianna Danere

Stop staring at my daishos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
If they do add dwarves, or drow, or even friggin' Sauron for that matter, I'd still keep playing. It's not the end of the world, it's just something I dislike.

After having samurais, ninjas and elves thrown at us I just wish we'd get something that feels like Ultima for a change. 'Cause I like Ultima.

The current storylines with wisps, blackrock and Armageddon is a great step in the right direction already. Hopefully the trend continues.

Posted Image

Kratos Aurion

Kratos Aurion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Wait what about the Pimp cane carry'n, black belt wear'n, super keen jean, kungfu Lizardmen dudes.

To late tov I beat your post with an earlier one:grin: I WIN:laugh:

uoc

uoc

Wasting Away in UOville

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

If they do add dwarves, or drow, or even friggin' Sauron for that matter, I'd still keep playing. It's not the end of the world, it's just something I dislike.

After having samurais, ninjas and elves thrown at us I just wish we'd get something that feels like Ultima for a change. 'Cause I like Ultima.

The current storylines with wisps, blackrock and Armageddon is a great step in the right direction already. Hopefully the trend continues.

That's my feelings.

If they put us through what has been one of the most well thought-out storylines in UO history (i.e. tapping into Ultima's history, and not simply coming up with something that supports some specific aspect of some expansion) and then throw in dwarves out of nowhere, it would be unnerving, and would fly in the face of what they have been saying.

I would accept dwarves, and in fact expect them at some point, but not for UO's 10th year, and not for this current storyline (which is supposed to run well into 2007, and considering it revealed the new client, it's not unreasonable that it will reveal the new race). Draconi said his favorite Ultima was VI, and none of the Ultimas that are being tapped for this storyline have anything to do with Dwarves, but instead have a lot to do with Gargoyles, and their acceptance as a civilized race.

As NotableUltima put it:

The sixth Ultima once again twisted its way into new gaming territory. Remember all those monsters you killed in the first five games? Well, what if they weren't really evil after all? Others aren't always what they seem - and neither are you.....And a good thing too, as it allowed the game to be much larger, richer, and more detailed. One of those details was an entire brand-new language created for the species you confront in the game, the Gargoyles. With hundreds of words and dozens of documents translated into the new alphabet and vocabulary, it was an impressive achievement for a computer game. The Gargoyle language was written by Herman Miller, who also did the Gargoyle musical theme...

If anything, it would be great to have half a dozen races, Dwarves included. It would be even better to have next year be a celebration of Ultima and Ultima Online.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: playable, race, solved