Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Please don’t read books in KR

- - - - - books don’t kr read

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Irvyn

Irvyn

Dux femina facti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
There’s an annoying KR bug :mad: If someone reads an unsealed book in KR (unsealed meaning ordinary red or purple player-written book which has not had a red leaf used on it), and someone else then tries to read it in 2D, the first 70 or so characters on each page that was viewed in KR have been converted to a single line without breaks. The rest of the page has been deleted. The book is therefore destroyed as far as 2D is concerned. The attached thumbnail shows what happens.

This has been reported as a bug by me and other people, but until it’s fixed, it would be helpful if KR users could restrain themselves from opening any player-written books which are obviously unsealed. I’m thinking specifically of the books dropped around to advertise guilds and events. I’ve noticed this happening but only just worked out how and why.

Even the deleted text isn’t gone completely; you can still read it all in KR. But if you don’t have another copy of the book in game, the only way to restore it in 2D at the moment is: log into KR; open the book; type the text manually into Word/Notepad/similar; close KR; log into 2D; open the book; copy-paste the text back in. This is tedious.

I’ve temporarily locked Spiritwood University as I found half a dozen books in the library that had been changed in this way after checking just one shelf. I don’t want it to happen to any more in case the devs don’t produce a fix that reverses the change. I’m also in the market for red leaves, being down to my last 4 ;)

Posted Image

Information

Dukes don't cheat, they adapt to circumstances.
(Slightly amended quote from "The Slipper and the Rose")

Cal Soulshadow

Cal Soulshadow

Quitter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
I'll have a look and see what I've got in terms of red petals.

Posted Image

Raziel Von Sahyn

Raziel Von Sahyn

Militiaman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
I wont use KR unless they force me to anyway!

*Holds onto his 2d client and snarls at anyone who comes near him!*

Van Cocidius

Van Cocidius

The World Is Mine

• Members
  • 4,221 posts
*Reads all the books*

Posted Image

Cal Soulshadow

Cal Soulshadow

Quitter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
Still using 2D as well, largely because I can't be arsed to sit through a six hour download when my 2D client works perfectly well.

Posted Image

Irvyn

Irvyn

Dux femina facti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
I didn't want this to turn into a KR vs 2D thread, but since it's sort of started ... I don't actually do anything in KR, I just keep trying it and sending in dozens of bug reports and feedback forms in the hope that it'll turn into a playable version of UO one day. IMHO KR's environment and most of the creatures actually look pretty good. It's the items and UI that are awful. That and the lagginess of it :( The dev team have listened to a lot of complaints and requests, and made many changes and additions, but it's still not playable or enjoyable yet for me, even discounting the lag.

Returning to the original topic, I'm very grateful for the offers of red leaves. I'll buy up whatever anyone has :)

Posted Image

Information

Keina

Keina

I'm the Only Evil Drow in the Village (c)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Ohhhh I wondered what was happening there ... yes, I had some IC books ruined that way too, nothing amazingly important but it was annoying.

Posted Image

Dhrael’Ussan Oae: I thought I had lost him …but then the road ended, and so did my life.

Snubson

Snubson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Sure my old house had roughly 100+ red petals somewhere, not 100% sure whether they got thrown out tho.

Poke dev to go through all the crap unless he's hoi'd em out :)

Ebony&Markus

Ebony&Markus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I spent 2 hours setting up my macros and icons in KR. Then it crashed and everything was deleted..... gah

muldran

muldran

Blackrock Horder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
Okay - I'm rebuilding the Vinyamar Library, but all the books there have been red-petalled, so people can still use the Court's place to read in ;)

Muldran Skully - Shadow Court (SCT)
Posted Image
Find out more in the Shadow Court Forum.

Iljian

Iljian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Even the deleted text isn’t gone completely; you can still read it all in KR. But if you don’t have another copy of the book in game, the only way to restore it in 2D at the moment is: log into KR; open the book; type the text manually into Word/Notepad/similar; close KR; log into 2D; open the book; copy-paste the text back in. This is tedious.

Not true, just go near the end of the line and press enter. You can repeat that and restore books quickly with just a little editing.

Irvyn

Irvyn

Dux femina facti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
No, I tried that first. Unfortunately only the first 70 or so characters are retained and can be retrieved that way. I think it must be something to do with the page breaks in KR. The pages (actually just boxes like everything else in KR, but I'll call them pages for convenience) are smaller in KR, so each page of a 2D book is on 2 pages in KR. For example, 2D page 1 becomes KR pages 1 and 2. This overrides the 2D page setup, so when you open the book in 2D again and look at page 1, only the text that was on KR page 1 is kept. KR page 2 doesn't correspond to 2D page 2, as 2D page 2 already had something else on it, so the text on KR page 2 vanishes in 2D but is still there in KR.

Posted Image

Information

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, don’t, kr, read