Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Mage/Tamer

- - - - - mage or tamer

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Sertious

Sertious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I was just wondering if there was a good mage/tamer template. I was thinking about creating one and not sure what skills would be good for it. And if that would be a decent choice to go. I don't really care about PvP that much but if UO is more PvP intensive than it used to be i'd want to make sure I could survive in a fight. I was thinking the normal skills,
Taming, Resist Magic, Magery, Vet, Animal Lore but not sure where else to go. I want to make sure I can tame high end creatures, gate, make runes, and cast enough spells to make this build viable. Any help would be appreciated.

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
My template is lore, taming, vet, magery, eval, meditation. All scrolled out as high as I can get them lol. Some people give up eval for peace, if you only use magery to gate and such.

Sertious

Sertious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I forget what usefulness does meditate and eval have? Meditate doesnt that like help you regen mp faster? but dont remember what eval does. I'd almost like to have Resist on there but if I could do well without it than great.

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
Without eval, your spells don't have much affect. Like if you cast mind blast on something, you won't do hardly any damage. Same for healing, it won't heal hardly anything without eval.

Meditation helps mana come back quicker when you use it. You have to wear leather armor, or mage armor tho.

I don't use resist on my tamer cause I let my beasts take the damage while I heal them and throw off spells.

Sertious

Sertious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Ahh. Ok nice. I havent played UO in years and just getting back into it, and I figure going the tamer route may be almost like doing hunter in WoW. And get to customize a little by being a mage / tamer. So yah I'll probably use that temp and give it a whirl. Of course I know it'll be a pain to level up my skills ugh.

Adrianna Danere

Adrianna Danere

Stop staring at my daishos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Without eval, your spells don't have much affect. Like if you cast mind blast on something, you won't do hardly any damage. Same for healing, it won't heal hardly anything without eval

Actually Mind Blast is the only direct damage spell that will work without eval. I think it uses your INT to calculate the amount of damage it does.

Also heal spells have nothing to do with eval, they work based on how high your magery skill is. But in principle you're correct, spells are generally less potent without eval - direct damage spells do next to nothing, and buff/debuff spells don't last long and have lesser effect. Summons work fine, however.

Posted Image

Vindicator

Vindicator

The Death Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
I have a tamer mage, I am working on. Here is his template.

115 Magery
115 Med
115 Eval
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet

I picked 115 in all the mage skills in case taming fails me, I don't want to get jacked by every monster so I feel eval is VERY important.
Posted Image
Thanks to Atlas for hooking up this SICK signature!

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Very true, you want to be able to be a stand-alone mage if need be. Say you are going to be doing something where EV's are needed, and not pets. Boom, now you have a mage that can deal good damage.

Sertious

Sertious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for all the advice folks. One other thing I was wondering more or less for the Tamer part of this. when taming pets, do pets have different skills that you need to train or is it just simply tame a pet than do an 'pet attack' type deal?

Eowyna Rohanna

Eowyna Rohanna

I may not be the queen of everything, but I'm the duchess of

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
Pets do have different skills that can be trained based upon their inate abilities. You may find these abilities on many sites to do with taming, or simply lore your pet. While many spend time directly training each skill available to a pet, I find it more fun to simply play. The pets skill will rise as it gets experience.

Posted Image

Thanks to Maddux for the wonderful sig!

Sertious

Sertious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I'll have to check out the skills page. I'm an ex WoW player and was a Hunter on that and for all your pets you had to tame them, learn the skill, if you wanted a new pet you had to make sure the new pet could use the pet skill you just learned, etc etc. So a little unfamiliar with the pet skills on UO. Back in the day when I used to play I just gained up Taming to tame and ride new mounts and never really did anything else.

Adrianna Danere

Adrianna Danere

Stop staring at my daishos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
In a nutshell, each pet has its own skills which work just like a player's skills do. As in the pet gains in skills by using those skills. You don't have to choose anything, the pet has certain skills that it will get better at through combat.

Like, most pets have wrestling, tactics, anatomy and resisting spells. Magic using pets have also magery, eval and meditation. Some pets also have poisoning, and the cu sidhe has healing.

Each pet you tame has its own skills and they don't affect other pets in any way like apparently in WoW, so no worries about having to tame certain pets to use their skills.

Posted Image

Sertious

Sertious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Sweet, I like what you tell me. Can't wait to get this character goin. Started up a warrior today just to check some things out. Of course heard it was easy to make money that way, but reading up some topics about tamers, sounds like that is where the money is.

blue dahlia

blue dahlia

lake superior 5yr vet.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
heres my tamers template...
magery-120
med-110 (with ring to take to 120)
eval-120
taming-120
vet-120
lore-110 (with bracelet to take to 120)
i feel this is the best setup for a true tamer/mage.getting the scrolls to do this cost a small fortune and gains are not coming as fast as i`d like but it`ll be worth it when its done. :)
blue dalia-tamer/mage
o`bannon-legendary warrior
knitha-pally/warrior
snip- bard/peacer
blue voodoo-mule
ratfink-theif/excess skill holder.

Unsupportable

Unsupportable

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
I have a brill template for this, but it's hard to achieve. I use this for Peerless champs. I tend to find that I do more damage than anyone there. Including those that Use beetle and mare combo. I use a cu, its a dog like animal.
Taming 115
Lore 115
Vet 110
Magery 100
Eval 100
Spell Weaving 100
Focus 80
(720)
You can use rings and the Birds of Britania totem to get your taming high. I use either a luck suit with 1300 on it, or a mana regen 100% lrc suit. It all depends on the situation. I find this the best template to use. But it all depends on your style of play. I've not finished mine, but I can still do better than most.

Cast Word of Death on the champ to do a lot of damage, when it has less than 4000 hit points. This can only be found if you have your lore above 110. Good luck. And welcome to UO.

Rhus Radicans

Rhus Radicans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
Since it sounds as if you have a new account, you probably only have 700 skill points available. A nice template for a mage/tamer might look like this:

120 taming
120 animal lore
120 vet
100 magery
100 eval int
40 meditation
100 magic resist.

This gives you Legendary for the taming skills, which are the most important; the mage skills are secondary, but this template gives you both offense and defense. Your Mana Regeneration will suffer a bit from the small amount of Med, but you can make up for that by maxing your INT stat out so that you have a huge mana pool to begin with.

An alternative would be:

120 tame
120 lore
120 vet
100 mage
100 meditation
100 resist
40 eval int.

This template is the same as the one before, but the mage spells won't be as powerful because of the low Eval. Poison and Mind Blast are at full power, though, because they aren't powered by Eval, so you can use those for offensive purposes.

Another choice is this:

120 tame
120 lore
120 vet
100 mage
100 eval
100 med
40 focus

This is a purely offensive mage template with no defense against spells. It's ok unless you get into a group of spellcasters, which at higher levels of hunting will happen often.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and welcome to UO!

Posted Image

Unsupportable

Unsupportable

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
Rhus, no offence but you don't play a tamer often do you. Your tamer isn't meant to get in the way. Your 2nd template is much better. But I'd still rather put spell weaving on there. For peerless there isn't anything better. Especially when Lady M heals when she gets low health. The spellweaving increases the damage with Word of Death. I swear by it. I've never seen a tamer do more damagge than me and I used to camp money spawns - swoops. Resists are a wasted, the animal takes the punishment whilst you keep it alive. Peerless are very good where money is concerned, the loot is worth a lot. But if you camp swoops you can do 150-200k in an hour if its quiet.

Rhus Radicans

Rhus Radicans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Rhus, no offence but you don't play a tamer often do you. Your tamer isn't meant to get in the way. Your 2nd template is much better. But I'd still rather put spell weaving on there. For peerless there isn't anything better. Especially when Lady M heals when she gets low health. The spellweaving increases the damage with Word of Death. I swear by it. I've never seen a tamer do more damagge than me and I used to camp money spawns - swoops. Resists are a wasted, the animal takes the punishment whilst you keep it alive. Peerless are very good where money is concerned, the loot is worth a lot. But if you camp swoops you can do 150-200k in an hour if its quiet.

No offense taken; I'll point out that the OP sounds like a fairly new player, and expecting him/her to jump right in on Peerless and Champ Spawns is unrealistic at this point. Read the original post and the replies posted by the OP and you'll realize this. There is plenty of time to fine-tune a template, and I would guess that the OP isn't even GM in the taming skills, let alone Legendary. Your advice is good for a veteran player, but not a new player.

Posted Image

Unsupportable

Unsupportable

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
Agreed, but I still wouldn't waste time on resists. Its a hard skill to work up if your a new player. Far easier for players with multiple accts or guild members. Magery can be worked up to GM in around 10 hours, with the right equipment it only takes around 4 hours. I'm doin it at the moment with a mage weapon. Eval is gained passively. It'll gain at the same rate as magery as a general rule. Taming is a very hard skill to gain, but in the end its worth it. I know of new players that do lady melisade, in fact I was one once. I was on the tree branch fighting for my life within a month. But spell weaving I absolutely love, but you can't get it until you have 75ish magery. Cos you have to do the quest to get the skill. But its not a very hard quest. :) The other thing about my template is that you only need a couple of power scrolls, so you keep the cost down. In fact I have 6 animal lore 115 that he could have were he on sonoma, trhink i have a 110 taming too.

Vindicator

Vindicator

The Death Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
Resist is wasted skills points for a PvM character. You cannot convince me otherwise, I've never ran resist on a PvM character and never will and I do just fine at Peerless, CS, Harrower. You can definetly use those points in something more useful.
Posted Image
Thanks to Atlas for hooking up this SICK signature!