Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

[News] New Kingdom Reborn Site Up!

- - - - - kingdom news reborn site

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
There is a very simple way to get UO working and more players subscribing - simply *increase* the role play part of the game as in - give the players of uo the ability to somehow adapt the terrain/interact more with the game.

Its hard to explain what I mean - but for example imagine a sustained attack on a city's walls eventually bringing them down? Or attacking a bridge for example eventually leading ot its destruction then resoiurces could be gathered to rebuild the bridge/walls? Or making NPC buildings lockable? Or making it possible to create/build Moongates which are static/permanent?
More and more house tiles to simulate things? More player "created" NPCS to wander around towns giving out clues and quests? The ability for players to gain reward tokens to create unique items and create NPC spawn to protect them?

Second - lets have MORE Ems and Seers etc who ACTIVELY involve the current players in stories with REAL consequences - ie if you fail Moonglow really does get blown into the sea =)
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

Guest_Raul_*

Guest_Raul_*
  • Guests

LOTR, on the other hand, I think will be a big disappointment, just like DDO.

DDO was a horrid game, thats why it bombed. LoTR on the other hand is far better, infact if launched properly and with enough exposure and advertisement could easily rival the mighty WoW.

I speak from experience too, ive been in beta now for over a month (thanks to Billy Corgan). Hell Turbine is having to upgrade their kit also, even they have underestimated to popularity. So dont be so dismissive Cal :)

Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Trust me when i say LoTR is absolutely awesome...

Ok tell me what is so awesome about LotRO? Custom housing? Role playing possibilities (with PvP)? Character customization (via equipment)? Flexible skill system without restricting classes?

In fact, what does LotRO actually _have_ better than UO? Better graphics? Granted. Better UI? Sure. What else?

Cal Soulshadow

Cal Soulshadow

Quitter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
Raul - I work in the games industry and my other half worked for a company that was hosting Turbine games in the UK, hence the lack of faith. Turbine have had a lot of problems and it was touch and go whether they'd be around long enough to get the project finished.
If they've really gone all out to make it amazing, fair enough, but it wasn't looking good in the early stages.

Posted Image

Moturdrn

Moturdrn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
Unless it's changed since two weeks ago, I didn't really find LOTRO that impressive.

Something like that would keep me there for a little while, a few weeks, 2-3 months at most. Don't get me wrong, I don't view UO as the almighty game that can never be defeated (infact, my view is somewhat the opposite ;)), but LOTRO just seemed to lack that little something to keep me there.

AoC on the otherhand, I've been pestering one of the development team who used to play on Draenor for months :(

Posted Image

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Stormcrow - The list is long in what UOs faults are.
The new client will hopefully fix most tho... even tho the graphic in KR looks sad imo. But i just want a somewhat bugless client..
Now why they bring a totally new client? Because the old one is such a mess that no one can fix it. Built terrible from the start. Even the designers admit it.
Thats why they CANT fix all bugs in the game.. They fix one and a new appear.
Just take this new skill gain trick by Satyrs and their discordance skill.. (drops your skills down - free to train) or the dye your hair neon for 50gp..the list is long in UO.
But the game itself is original... agree 100% and i still enjoy it and the people - but dont let it blind you.

Posted Image

Henry Winter B^F

Henry Winter B^F

Brigand

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
Has anyone not mentioned warhammer online yet? Looks great to me. I'll be running around in beta testing on LOTR soon also.

Posted Image

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
WO is me game -I'll be there...

Posted Image

Guest_Raul_*

Guest_Raul_*
  • Guests
Cal working in the games industry does not make you right matey, you use this excuse alot in your arguments i still fail to see what insider edge your recruitment job would give you! I mean the guy who washes up in the staff cantine in your place, he also is a apart of the games industry with uber insider knowledge that makes him right all the time?

And yes Moturdrn, the longevity of Shadows of Angmar is in question it is easy to get to the end of the content. But if they keep up with their promises and expansions are released right. There really should always be something to do, Turbine have said that its gonna take 3 years of development to make the whole of Middle Earth accessable via expansion packs.

And you have answered your own question Stormcrow :)

Guest_Raul_*

Guest_Raul_*
  • Guests
and you better be quick in getting your code Henry, Beta ends on April 8th

Cal Soulshadow

Cal Soulshadow

Quitter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
Raul, I was a games journo for donkey's years, I still know what's going on where and I still do the odd review. My other half is a producer for a games company and knows most of the big industry guns on a first name basis. And as for being a recruiter, I'm on the phone to the developers - the programmers, artists, animators, producer - the guys who make the games you so love - on a daily basis. Recruiters are always among the first to know when a company is in trouble because all the CVs start turning up.

Does that give me more insight than a forklift driver from Birmingham? I think it probably does, yes.

PS, Canteen? Ha ha ha. The only company I worked for that had a canteen was an insurance company in Colchester with several hundred employees.

Posted Image

Boogoose

Boogoose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm inclined to believe Cal because her line of argument isn't "I play LOTR I play LOTR I play LOTR UO is terrible why you play terrible game huh?".

Plus, every other Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplay Game has basically been identical, with a few exceptions, such as Ultima Online, and some other really terrible games like The Sims Online. Every other one is an exact copy of Everquest (3D, first person, level-system, item dependant). All that differs is the setting, and the only reason Lord of the Rings is going to be popular is because there are far too many people in the world who rub one out to the rather uninteresting and turgid prose of a rather uninteresting and turgid man who was more interested in making up new languages than creating sympathetic characters and a cohesive world. God-damn I hate Lord of the Rings.

Age of Conan might be good, despite what I'm hearing about levels, because the combat system is looking like it might be skill based rather than having a top-line weapon or the amount of dwarves' blood you have in your pockets.

Kimi

Kimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
The list of games that are/were going to sink UO is a long one.
Last time I checked, I was still playing UO.

Kimi

Kimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

All that differs is the setting, and the only reason Lord of the Rings is going to be popular is because there are far too many people in the world who rub one out to the rather uninteresting and turgid prose of a rather uninteresting and turgid man who was more interested in making up new languages than creating sympathetic characters and a cohesive world. God-damn I hate Lord of the Rings.

My own thoughts echoed (and run through a thesaurus... Turgid? I had to look that up:confused:)

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
"God-damn I hate Lord of the Rings"

omfg at last! there are others who think like me!
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

Olk Samsca

Olk Samsca

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,076 posts
Does anyone know or have an image showing the current (well atleast sometime in 2007) market share for MMOs?

Given WoW had what.. 50% with around 6 million subscribers last summer and now claims something like 8.5-9 million(?) I suspect it will only have grown.

I think WO has the best chance of becoming a viable game capable of hacking at WoW's monopolistic position. LoTR looks far too much to me like a WoW clone *but it looks amazing and has gandalf!* and AoC will depend on just how good this "real" combat system is in game. It could be awesome.. but it could also kind of suck.

But regardless.. I doubt KR will really be a shot in the arm for Uo (it really just looks like they through the old graphics through photoshop) but if it makes the playing experience better for those who continue to play its a good thing I guess.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Agree to 100% of what olk said.

WO is the only strong game coming with a huge and very well known and good company behind it- AoC got potential and LoTR is a upcomer that might succeed.

Posted Image

Guest_Raul_*

Guest_Raul_*
  • Guests

Does that give me more insight than a forklift driver from Birmingham? I think it probably does, yes.

haha touche!

But my other half works for a software company and knows someone who has a cousin who's dog knows someones aunt who knows Richard Garriott! So your all wrong!

Anyways in closing, i guess some things do not change. I was wrong to think that i could get anything but the UO is great and everything else sucks attitude from fagnet. As i said previously you guys are so narrow minded and stuck in the early 90's is scarey.

Kimi

Kimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

I was wrong to think that i could get anything but the UO is great and everything else sucks attitude from fagnet. As i said previously you guys are so narrow minded and stuck in the early 90's is scarey.

While you came here with a "These games are great, and UO sucks" attitude.
Is it even humanly possible to fail any more?

If nothing else, it is the community that keeps people in UO.
People and oppurtunities.
Until another game can provide this in a way that can best UO, then UO will win out in this respect. Throwing examples of other games in peoples faces and telling them how their game sucks in comparison isn't going to win any hearts or minds.

Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

And you have answered your own question Stormcrow :)

So because LotRO has better graphics and UI, it's better than UO? Kthxbye.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kingdom, news, reborn, site