Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

[News] New Kingdom Reborn Site Up!

- - - - - kingdom news reborn site

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

Veggy

Veggy

Human Vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
Until another game offers the same oppurtunitys Im well behind whatever they do for the game
Posted Image

The Tyevers, [A^K]
Vavanai Lanore, [L~U]

Edmund Fairholm

Edmund Fairholm

MoongatesWiki Curator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
In reply to Veggy:

Hm, you'll inevitably try to compare UO with other MMORPGs. WoW is a competing product of UO, LoTR is a competing product, and the list goes on. And especially WoW stole a lot of players from the Europa role-playing scene.

The mechanics of UO are different from any other game. Or that is, UO was there first. And a few other games have tried to copy what they saw. UO was a giant invention for the computer gaming industry and has earned a lot of respect for that.

For a game which is this old, it's completely normal that the players would want to see major improvements on both the story and the game mechanics. I think that OSI/EA to an extent have failed to provide good extensions for UO and have failed somewhat their original aims and storyline. This has brought UO to its current state of nostalgia, I think.

We've known for years that UO is a sinking ship, but we still hang around. Why? Well, it still has a number of qualities that other MMORPGs fail to provide. That tells us that UO can still achieve something: It's not lost all its qualities like many other games, like DAoC did.

So I think EA/Mythic still has a chance at improving the game and setting a new course for the story. I hope they'll make a few improvements that will enhance the game - both in terms of role-play and the general gaming experience.

Posted Image

Wedge

Wedge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I think if they kept the old system of terrain in the 2d client that'd be better than what they are in those screenies.. Looks like the 3d client which was just laggy and ugly.

I don't think its an improvement at all tbh It just looks like a poor looking blanket.

Just take a look at the 3d terrain and compare it to the screenshots...

Posted Image

Only thing thats changed is the models which for a "reborn" game is abit of a kick in the nuts

Guest_Raul_*

Guest_Raul_*
  • Guests
The old 3d terrain was pretty good, it was a kick in the teeth when we had to loose for the 2d crappy one.

Cal Soulshadow

Cal Soulshadow

Quitter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
Yes, they did that so the 2D folk could go to Ilshenar.
I liked the original 3D graphics and avatars. The post-AoS bubble headed stickmen were a BIG mistake. I couldn't even look at them.

Posted Image

Taggart

Taggart

[viewusername] thinks this title is about them

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
nope they did that so they didn't have to do 3D terrain for Malas, they allowed 2D in Ilshenar with LBr

Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
A known fact is that some of the players of this age-old game are not happy with anything else than restoring the game back to pre-renaissance. Though I bet most of them would not be happy with that either, should it happen. That's just the way some people are. All they can do is complain.

Personally, I think the new graphics could definitely be better, but they are still an improvement. Also, the current UO interface is utter crap and hopelessly outdated, so any streamlining to it will be a welcome improvement aswell.

I hope the new client will bring new players so that the old grumpies would have someone to play with, instead of bugging on the boards how good UO used to be when there was no Trammel...

Guest_Raul_*

Guest_Raul_*
  • Guests
UO will never be what it used to be, lets face it. The golden days are long gone now and all you can really hope for now is the luring back of some of the old UO players like myself and others. There is not much chance really of luring the genuine new players anymore, not with the likes of WoW, EQ2, AoC, LoTR and the rest too compete with. UO is in its sunset days now, happily living in its little niche with its aging community. If you think im wrong here, mention UO outside of these forums, most of the new generation of MMO players havnt even heard of it! :)

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
Actually Raul my daughter's group of role players in WoW have heard of UO and some have played it =P

Also in my first day in SWG a couple of years back the first person I bumped into had played UO on Europa shard in Trinsic.

UO is still THE standard for a massive multiplayer online role playing game.

The possibilities are still much much greater than any other game - althoguh SWG looks like its trying.

I love UO with a passion and think this updated client looks awesome [even if its a WoW clone] I love all the screenies and I cant wait to see it on my screen =)

And I reckon it will bring in new players and returnees and old cynics like yourself Raul =) [God forbid the return of the Mighty Raul to mug us]
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

Guest_Raul_*

Guest_Raul_*
  • Guests
Im not cynical Callum, just realistic. I removed my UO tinted glasses years ago matey. As for me coming back, well thats really down to LoTR and AoC. If these prove to be as good as they look, i aint coming back to 2d world.

Rolo

Rolo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I think essentially what UO offers that other games don't offer is freedom, in this I speak of templates house design options for races (the 2d models could with some imagination be anything). As far as I know the freedom of template design is something no other mmorpg offers at the moment. Some of you still play UO because you like the look, others do it for the community. People new to the MMORPG "scene" don't want 2D games they want the 3d of WoW or other such games. I showed a mate of mine at uni who plays WoW a screenie of UO and his response was "christ thats old". And being new players they won't have anything of a community in the game.

Whilst it may bring back people from WoW who have reached level 70 and are alittle bored of the grind - who previously played UO. I really don't see it attracting new players, or taking players from other MMORPG's who didn't play UO previously.

I play abit here and there on a couple of freeshards cause I still enjoy the gameplay abit (and because OSI won't accept my credit card).

I appreciate what they're trying to do but its too late in my opinion, closing the barn door after the horses have already fled.

Boogoose

Boogoose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm sticking with UO because it's the only MMORPG that doesn't have the exact same shitty fixed template/leveling system that every single other kind of its genre seems to think is such a good idea even if in reality means you can only interact with a narrow band of people unless you're willing to give up a couple of months of your life and your human dignity as you level grind for countless hours while shitting into a sock because otherwise you might miss a loot drop. Admittedly post-AOS UO isn't as open-ended as it used to be, narrowing down what skills go with which, and placing the emphasis on items rather than playing skill, but anything has to be better WOW.

Incidently, good 2D is ageless. Install a couple of 2D games from the past ten years and as long as they support 800x600 resolution, they'll probably look as good as any recent 2D game. UO used to be one of them. The original drawings and animations of characters, monsters and such are really well done, if you ignore all the rushed ninja elven stuff that's been jammed in recently. 3D however, ages in the time it takes for the game to go gold.

Paladis

Paladis

Grumpy Old Git

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
The Lvling and grind keeps many people playing (as its natural for the majority to want to be the best) which inturn keeps subscriptions up which means more money for the company. To me this is the reasons most (if not all) new mmorgs will be a lvl grind system...keep those dollars coming in people!

Born to be Grumpy so get used to it
General Paladis
Army of Kaldor

Guest_Raul_*

Guest_Raul_*
  • Guests
Someone could make a exact clone of UO and you guys would rip it too shreds. Face it your the last of the hardcore UOer's, the small and getter smaller community that is blinkered and blind to anything outside of your 10 year old 2d game. :)

Chaismene Volte

Chaismene Volte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Is it just me or arent they just tryign to make UO look like World of Warcraft? --- interface-wise at least

If you fire up some of your old RPG games you will notice that they all look rather similar interface wice. Strangely enough it has not changed for about 10 years or so, give and take a few years. Wow just adapted what was already there, and improved on it.

Henry Winter B^F

Henry Winter B^F

Brigand

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
Hang around in haven for while; see how many "young’s" there are. This game still gets many new players. Maybe not as many as games like wow can drag in. But UO has two things going for it atm, EA own it and can afford to try and compete with games like wow and UOKR is coming out soon which looks to be one of the best add-ons this game has had.

Posted Image

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!

Guest_Raul_*

Guest_Raul_*
  • Guests
Most of them are not real new players Henry, most are just people leaving deserted servers to come to Europa. Also the ones that are new players, how long do they stay? I mean the servers are fairly deserted, even at peak times!

Things will get worse too, you have two BIG games hitting the scene soon, LoTR and AoC. Both of these are looking for a slice of the market and games like UO, SWG and EQ2 have unsettled and bored players primed for stealing :) Trust me when i say LoTR is absolutely awesome, even in Beta and if the rumours about Age of Conan are true, that also will take alot of the steam out of Kingdom Reborn's launch.

UO nowadays is for hardcore UO fans and old players, the new generation of MMO players (unless actually shown it, by said oldies :)) have no knowledge or interest in a 10 year old game.

Olk Samsca

Olk Samsca

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,076 posts
Europa will never die.

Snubson

Snubson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Given the way of UO.....I'd say minimum, its got 3-5 years left. Maximum, at a push 10 years. When EA/OSI attempted the 3D stuff, it went tits up, looked crap and slowed most things down. Best thing going for UO, for now and for the last 8+ years, the pure adaptability of its characters and the opportunities for RP, in and out from the UO "lore". Dont have to have a guild which confines to set aged lore of Ultima, nor should it have. WoW had a good amount of set lore for the RP parts, based on class and race spec'd characters. UO, you could be a mage, purely because you WANT to be one. You dont have to choose 1 race to be one, nor, would that limit you if you wished to become a warrior a year later. That freedom made UO so much better. Shame, graphically and updates since...it fell lackluster and looking at KR thing, still is.

....then again, my accounts still active >.>

Cal Soulshadow

Cal Soulshadow

Quitter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
UO inspires creativity. Other games do not.

Age of Conan does look nice, though I am put off by levelling.
LOTR, on the other hand, I think will be a big disappointment, just like DDO.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kingdom, news, reborn, site