Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Buying from Ebay?

- - - - - buying ebay

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

delped

delped

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I would like to know, is it safe to buy gold for cash from Ebay?
For example from LEO UO, you can purchase 10 mill.
Besides wanting to know if one could lose their cash, could you have your UO account banned too?

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
I don't think you can have your account banned, but I question any and all sales from E-Bay, most* should be legit.

Be weary of any that ask for different payment methods.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can't vouch for LEO UO, never dealt with him, but it's best to buy from sellers who frequently sell items and have recent, positive feedback

EA doesn't mind people buying stuff from Ebay, so no, you won't get banned
It's not illegal.

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
"but it's best to buy from sellers who frequently sell items and have recent, positive feedback " ... like two of UOForums sponsors .... RPG-Bay and UOTreasures

Agree that you should look for precentage of total positive and recent feedbacks (the higher number of total feedbacks the better) and there is a way to stop them if they do take your cash and not deliver the goods. (chargebacks and stop payments plus reporting them for fraud with ebay/paypal)

They in turn will want to check you out as well if you are a new ebayer or someone with a low amount of feedback even if all postitves. If you only have a few 'purchases' they as well want to make sure you don't take their goods and not pay.

Also, check that they have stated how to reach them - plus you can send them an email through ebay to ask the seller a question ... if they provide an IM you can do a search for them as well ... like icq search by uin. Thats another way you can verify their existance.

Good Luck ...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
you will also be trusted more if you verify your paypal acct. Most people want to do business with paypal verified members for higher item prices I've noticed.

Vindicator

Vindicator

The Death Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
To piggy back off what Bo said, a lot of sellers on eBay won't do business with un-verified paypal account holders.
Posted Image
Thanks to Atlas for hooking up this SICK signature!

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Use CyberNickel, the man's name = trust.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
Cyber Nickel is a great guy. ButI thought I heard something about him leaving UO? I hope not.

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

Damin

Damin

Don't Panic!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
If a deal seems too good to be true...it is.

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
not always true Damin. This doesnt apply to Ebay or RL cash, but ingame, someone was selling bronze and gold hammers for 500 gold, I saw the owner of the vendor at her house, and said "hey did you misprice these things" she said "no, i dont care about the money, just wanted to put good deals out there" So not all are in it for greed or money..

Damin

Damin

Don't Panic!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
Thats true but for the most part its greed :/ I have always been a fan of making it illegal to buy in game items for real $. If this system was disrupted people would have no choice but to rely on in game bartering which encourages relations of the friendly sort rather than 'hurry up and xfer the money to my paypal acct'

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
My opinion is "in game bartering" leaves too much room for scams, bugs, and exploits. I often opt for a respectable third party to broker the deal. With ebay, you can see the client's buying history and location. Match his location to his ip address or match against his or her phone number.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Damin

Damin

Don't Panic!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
If the buyer is in the know he will not be scammed or exploited but I agree partly with your arguement. On the other hand just because somebody has good reputation on ebay doesnt mean they wont scam.

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
The defination of good reputation is different for everyone. I prefer brokers to facilitate the sale or transfer because they are established and handle the majority of the risk.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts

Thats true but for the most part its greed :/ I have always been a fan of making it illegal to buy in game items for real $. If this system was disrupted people would have no choice but to rely on in game bartering which encourages relations of the friendly sort rather than 'hurry up and xfer the money to my paypal acct'

I've always been a fan of dealing with a good broker, for all the reasons mentioned. I find it easier and "cheaper" to buy certain things to enhance my hobby, same as anyone does with with any hobby out there.:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Mercenary

Mercenary

i refuse to flex!!

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
It is generally safe to buy gold from Ebay. You won't get banned for it. The best way to go about it is to avoid people who sell gold on every shard. That gold would be duped gold. Just go with someone who is selling gold only on one specific shard. Once you get the gold, use it. If you don't have it anymore, there's nothing to get penalized with.

In any case, I mentioned this before on another thread, but if you go on google and look up internet gold farming and what not, you can read about how they do it and what to look for to avoid being scammed into buying duped gold. Sometimes the gold is legit, thanks to the asian farmers, but this is only when there is no working dupe. Since there still is a working dupe currently, most gold is not legit.

Damin

Damin

Don't Panic!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
*Crumbles under peer pressure and buys 20 mil for $20*

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Damin, I'd rather you cave in to ebay peer presure than duping peer pressure. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Damin

Damin

Don't Panic!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
Never. I love this game and duping was almost the final nail in the UO coffin. They may save it yet...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: buying, ebay