Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

New features of the expansion.

- - - - - expansion features

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Deraj

Deraj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

except that the original Ultima playable races are:
Human
Elf
Dwarf
Bobit
Fuzzy

So Dwarf is in the original Ultima lore

So were space ships, but you don't see those in Ultima Online.

My point is, yes, you're completely right. Elves, Dwarves, "Bobits", and yes, even Fuzzies, were there in the beginning. But can someone explain to me why they weren't there in the later Ultimas?

The truth is, they're not in the later Ultimas. And that's precisely why I don't consider them a real part of Ultima Lore, because they don't have a consistent presence through the series. If there was an elven and dwarven race running around U7, or U9, sure, bring em to UO.

I've never liked the elf concept in UO, but what I didn't like most of all was how they were introduced: all of a sudden, there are elves living in a giant tree that apparently we didn't see for however long. What are they going to do with dwarves?

Suddenly, out of the mountains, came a dwarven race! They too were separated from the humans because of Mondain... now, discover your dwarven history through a series of quests and embrace your dwarven ancestry! You will actually shrink in the process! Only $29.99.

So.. yeah. I think it's gargoyles.
Still we loom in the mists as the ages roll away,
And we say of our folk, "they are here!"
That they built us and they died and you'll not be knowing why,
Save we stand on the bare plains of Wiltshire.

Som

Som

Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

So were space ships, but you don't see those in Ultima Online.

My point is, yes, you're completely right. Elves, Dwarves, "Bobits", and yes, even Fuzzies, were there in the beginning. But can someone explain to me why they weren't there in the later Ultimas?

The truth is, they're not in the later Ultimas. And that's precisely why I don't consider them a real part of Ultima Lore, because they don't have a consistent presence through the series. If there was an elven and dwarven race running around U7, or U9, sure, bring em to UO.

I've never liked the elf concept in UO, but what I didn't like most of all was how they were introduced: all of a sudden, there are elves living in a giant tree that apparently we didn't see for however long. What are they going to do with dwarves?

Suddenly, out of the mountains, came a dwarven race! They too were separated from the humans because of Mondain... now, discover your dwarven history through a series of quests and embrace your dwarven ancestry! You will actually shrink in the process! Only $29.99.

So.. yeah. I think it's gargoyles.

Yes but you stated that they were not part of the ultima lore and they are so they do fit in and they would fit into the current UO lore very very nicely. The elves went missing with the shattering of the gem it would also make sense that the other races did likewise.

The Elves, Dwarfs, Bobbits, and Fuzzies all went missing at the same time. The time line for UO is set sometime between U3 and U4 which is also the time that the races disappeared. So again it would fit in quite nicely.

You could bring back Dwarf or Fuzzy and be reintroducing ultima lore while closely following current UO lore.

Granted the introduction of the Elves could have been handled better but a lot of us are enjoying the content that the expansion brought.:P

*Insert fabulous signature here*http://www.uoforums.com/image.php?u=2091&type=siguploader&dateline=1114833635

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Ok, I change my vote from Orc to Gargoyle.

Although, yes you can polymorph into an orc, not everyone is a mage, so being able to be an Orc would be cool, and you could get some sort of bene out of it like being able to walk among Orcs freely without wearing the helm thing.

But I digress, I think Gargoyles would rock, IF they were able to fly...

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Bringing back cities like "Dawn and Ambrosia" would be nice.

Fuzzy
When the land was still called Sosaria there was a race of fast and very magical creatures known as fuzzies. Because of their size, they were not very strong, but they made exceptional mages. Since the cataclysm after The Avatar destroyed Exodus they have completely vanished. Although nobody can give an accurate timeline of their history, the most accepted theory is that they evolved into another life form. Because they share striking similarities to another race now known as the emps, it may have been that the fuzzy race evolved into the emps over the eons that have passed since then.

Emp
Discovered in the forests of Yew, emps are monkey-like creatures that live in the Silverleaf trees. They seem to have an empathic ability to communicate and discern information from creatures. They are also highly magical in nature, though not in deeds. They are friends to an the even more magical beings, the Wisps. They have the ability to grasp the common Britannian tongue, but are reluctant to speak with most humans. Emps might possibly be an evolved race of fuzzies that disappeared so many centuries ago.

*So today's Mongbat just might be what was reffered to as an Emp, and a Fuzzy, or possible today's Imp.

Some Nostalga:
http://www.uo.com/ar...a3/u3clues.html
http://www.thealmigh...opedia.html#Emp

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest_Yazman_*

Guest_Yazman_*
  • Guests
It doesn't matter what races are in the first three Ultimas. They don't matter because they aren't part of Ultima lore as others have stated previously.

Richard Garriott himself stated all this in regards to Ultimas 1-3. He stated that they were generic:

"The first few Ultimas were all pretty generic when it comes to storyline and the world in which the games were set."

He even confessed to ripping ideas straight out of whatever fantasy fiction was popular at the time:

"In fact, if you look at those early games, most of the elements in them are pretty much stolen from whatever was popular at the time."

He even says that the whole plot of Ultima II is just ripped directly out of a movie:

the entire plot of Ultima II, in which the player has to travel to five different time zones through Time Gates -- building to a final confrontation with Minax in the "Time of Legends" -- is a shameless crib from the Terry Gilliam film.

He also said that he didn't actually start building the true Ultima universe until Ultima IV:

"The true development of Britannia was actually a process of taking stuff out, not putting stuff in - making sure that the world hung together as a cohesive whole."

He has also mentioned that the first few ultimas were really just him learning programming, design, etc:

Other elements in early Ultimas included things like laser swords, spaceships, evil sentient computers, landspeeders and sci-fi elements that made the games something of a hodgepodge creatively. Nonetheless, Garriott credits those things to the process of learning the basic of his craft before he settled down into doing what he does best - world building. "I haven't programmed in a lot of years." He said, "Once I started to do real world-building, I started leaving the technical details to people like Starr

In closing, it should also be pretty obvious by now that this has been made clear too:

Garriott's adventures in world-building began with the development of Ultima IV. Satisfied that he had mastered the basics of what made computer RPGs work, he now found himself unsatisfied with what he had created in the first three Ultima games.

So with all this in mind, knowing that Garriott himself doesn't consider the first few Ultimas to be a part of the actual Ultima universe, we know that the first three Ultimas are not canon.

If you want to for some reason start saying the first three are canon, then we might as well have all the other elements as well: landspeeders, evil computers, lightsabers, and spaceships and the whole sci-fi shebang.

We'll call it UO: Age of Science. :laugh: :laugh:

References made from an interview conducted with Richard Garriott by Gamespy, http://pc.gamespy.co...a/512497p1.html[/i]

Damin

Damin

Don't Panic!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
Mongbats ftw!

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
So Ultima I, II, and III never happened. Does that include Age of Shadows as well? How about Publish 31? It's all mere speculation on a large majority, the few who know, cant say anything until they are told they can.

Mongbats for the next playeable race!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
will they only have 3hp too? :P

Damin

Damin

Don't Panic!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
A mongbat warrior on a polar bear that would be somethin to see..

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
With 3hp, The Dev's will nerf pvp to offset the imbalance. Mongbat evasion mage, bukuto wielder for the win. :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Hey theres nothing wrong with a bokuto if used on a template that is DESERVING of swinging a sword. Its the mages with no tactics and 50 busido that have no right using it.. But a swordsman with bushido, where it is one of 2 spells "so to say" that they can do, then I am all for it..

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Like Chivalry should stay with deserving and virtious paladins. I like the open templetes and skill choices, but skills should have prerequisites.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Damin

Damin

Don't Panic!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
http://update.uo.com/design_521.html

Off topic I know but whatever happened to his idea?

Som

Som

Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Ok I change too, I want to be a mongbat warrior on a polar bear wielding a Bukuto.

*Insert fabulous signature here*http://www.uoforums.com/image.php?u=2091&type=siguploader&dateline=1114833635

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
May the Mongbat raise up from the dart board, and be a true force to be reckoned with. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Eowyna Rohanna

Eowyna Rohanna

I may not be the queen of everything, but I'm the duchess of

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
What do mongbat females wear?

P.S. I will NOT pull your sleigh, Maddux.

Posted Image

Thanks to Maddux for the wonderful sig!

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
....rofl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Som

Som

Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

It doesn't matter what races are in the first three Ultimas. They don't matter because they aren't part of Ultima lore as others have stated previously.

If they didn't exist why are they on my Ultima collections CD:huh:

and why is there more stuff from Ultima 1-3 in UO then any other Ultima?

Ultima 1: Mondain and the Gem of immortality that shattered to create the UO universe.

Ultima 2: Minax she is still running around creating havoc

Ultima 3: Exodus, Exodus was in the UO universe and his Minions are still running around.

Elves were in the first three ultimas and gave us Mondains Legacy.

the Feudal Lands came from the Ultima 1 maps and gave us Samurai Empire

Lord Blackthorn was introduced in Ultima 1

the list goes on and on.

So I just can't see how you can come up with the first three ultimas don't mater. They are all over UO and have been from the beginning! They still play a major role in the UO story line.

Eowyna Rohanna

Eowyna Rohanna

I may not be the queen of everything, but I'm the duchess of

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

So I just can't see how you can come up with the first three ultimas don't mater. They are all over UO and have been from the beginning! They still play a major role in the UO story line.

Som, I agree with you.

Posted Image

Thanks to Maddux for the wonderful sig!

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Som Roxxors!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: expansion, features