Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Do hardcore mages need wrestling??

- - - - - hardcore mages wrestling

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
Just wondering if mages need wrestling here is my template

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Med
105 Resist (trying to get it to 120)
50 scribe (getting it to 100)

I still have 140 pts unused what should I do with em?

Vindicator

Vindicator

The Death Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
Depends, do you want to PVP or PVM?
Posted Image
Thanks to Atlas for hooking up this SICK signature!

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
If you are going to pvp, then yah it cant hurt. It is a good way to defend yourself. If you are going to pvm, then I wouldnt bother. You can better use it towards something else that can help your damage output. The benefit of having wrestling in pvp is you cant be disarmed, you can disarm archers and can hold a book that helps your suit out, like a scrappers or clainens.

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
A weapon skill will help stop monsters and players from disrupting your spells. You can cast "protection" but that lowers physical resist, and with my game style, thats too much too give up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
This char is for pvm, so wut skillz do u think i should train in?

Vindicator

Vindicator

The Death Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
I reccomend training wrestling then. My necro has wrestling and it helps a lot when fighting CS not getting interrupted when getting attacked by 3 or 4 monsters at once.
Posted Image
Thanks to Atlas for hooking up this SICK signature!

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
I tend to go with "wrestling" for paralyzing blow, or "macing" so I can use the Staff of the Magi, but if you already have a good mana leech weapon with spell channeling, you may wish to go with that skill.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
I have 140pts left like noted above, wut about mixing wrestling and chiv?

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Cant beat 4/6 chivilary spamming "Holylight". Its very effective. I would go one way or the other, but not both. It all comes down to what your comfortable with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
If your strictly doing PvM then I'd say pick up a PvM skill, like SpellWeaving.

Mostly for Word of Death to finish off the bigger monsters.

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
Hate to sound like a noob, but wut in the hell is 4/6 chivilary?

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
4 Fast Cast / 6 Fast Cast Recovery with the chivalry skill.

You could cast Close Wounds as fast or faster than a mini heal and it could heal up to 35 pts (karma dependant).

You could cast Holy Light at a fast rate doing area damage up to 2 tiles (I think) and 15-20 damage (to most monsters).

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Best part of 4/6 chiv/mage in my book, is being able to do that HL quick! I love being able to do it on the run too. The witherers have to hold still for a slight moment and can get fizzled, but you can cast it and run into a gaggle before it hits and no fizzle. You will need 105 chiv for 100% success rate though.

The template is almost strictly survival though, you can cleanse by fire, remove curse and heal quicker than magery, and the other 2 you can do really quick, so the de-buff spells wont last on you that long at all. I find the template to be a great spawning template, but not as great as the necro-bard..

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
HL isn't that affected on players?

For pvm mage/chiv template wut do you recommend?

Current template:
120 magery
120 eval
120 med
106 resist
60 scribe
0 chivi

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Yes HL will affect players but only if you are blue/red attacking the other color. I think scribe will give you the SDI bonus only at GM, so 60 may not be effective enough. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I do the HL strictly for spawning tho, so I havent really used it much on players, although it probably would be a great interrupter spell since its soo fast, and you can move while doing it.

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Yes, Inscription is only useful to a mage at GM.

HL is excellent when chasing a runner so you can either A: Interrupt any attempt to heal or B: finish off an opponent.

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
I have notice on other threads for chiv/mages to have templates like this:

120 med (keeping)
120 eval (keeping)
120 mag (keeping)
120 resist (at 106 but keeping)
120 chiv (still training but want to keep it)
120 spell weaving (120 spell weaving or 120 inscription is better for this template, any opinons?

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
for spawning, I use that template w/spellweave, i switch out my scrappers/arcane, with my swds of prosp when getting into a fight. the sdi you can get from a scrappers will do more damage than the bonus from inscription, and its easier to get to 4/6 with it

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
Again I have been out of the game for about 4 years, I am not up with all the lingo so could someone tell me wut a scrapper is?

I know I am pretty much a reborn noob :(

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
a scrappers compendium is a mage book that you can craft now, it has by default 25sdi 1/1 10lmc, and you can get extra mods on it if you're lucky. the 2 I own have 12 and 15 lrc attached onto it, which affords me less restrictions on the lrc items on my suit. There are books out there with MR, mana inc, eval, mage, med bonuses. But I would say that probably 90% of them out there have plain mods which still isnt that bad. It's a loaded book!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardcore, mages, wrestling