Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Codex Of Virtue

- - - - - codex virtue

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

OLY

OLY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Anyone know if this does anything special other than just look pretty in the house?

Also can you redeed it?

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

Won this title in a raffle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
I wana see a screenshot of it, unfortunately I don't have space in my house to see it.

chargar42

chargar42

&a mp; a mp; a mp; q uot ; Can Set Custo

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
I have not been able to redeed it. Not sure if it does anything.

Attached Thumbnails

• codex.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perfect love sometimes does not come until the first grandchild.

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

Won this title in a raffle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
oooh cheers, yeah that looks huge.

Marc Anthony

Marc Anthony

You will always remember this as the day you almost caught Marc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I was able to redeed mine. It is huge too. Can be pain to place if small it is a small area to work with. Took me 15 min to get it placed the second time. *grins*
Marc Anthony
Pirate King of VTC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I read it requires an 8x8 square to place it.

Lazlow

Lazlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I placed two "codex of virtue" rewards and lost them both when I modified my house. It's not in my moving crate or bank box. I've currently #12 in the help queue after 45 minutes.

Reiver

Reiver

Preceptor of Silver Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
thanks for the warning... i actually thought the codex was a book LOL!!

Tovladian Soltyr

Tovladian Soltyr

Timeless Treasures Co-Owner

• Members
  • 1,521 posts
I was able to redeed mine by clicking in the middle of it after dbl clicking the Axe. I have heard of people clicking other locations on it thought and destroying it.

Personally haven't heard if it does anything or if it's just eye candy.
Posted Image
Timeless Treasures Auctions on Legends Grand Re-Opening to be announced - Contact me for more info

Aurelius

Aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
I'm not placing mine just yet!

Too many reports of it not redeeding, being destroyed instead of redeeding, some people mention using an axe can destroy the graphics on a tile of the whole design and leave a 'codex' with a hole in it or an edge square missing, and others losing the thing if they redesign the house.

It can stay in deed form in a bankbox for now. Nice as much of the new stuff looks, there are an awful lot of reports of bugs of varying levels of seriousness, from item loss to 'broken' house decorating methods....

Maybe after the next patch fixing this one. Or maybe I'll wait two, since lately patches have not been well enough thought out, or tested, for me to trust them.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
In Ultima 4, the 'Codex of Virtue' was a book at the bottom of the stygian abyss that granted the Avatar (The player character) ultimate wisdom. Lord British brought it out in Ultima 6, and I think the Avatar came back and sealed it off in a pocket dimension or something because evil kept trying to get their greedy claws on it.

This one seems to be a decoration representing the virtues, not the actual Codex :)

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Totally agree with ya there, too often there always seems to be a gotcha hiding in the haystack. Just this week it was Gargish Dressers eating items, then disappearing pets, now buggy codexes.

I was just wondering last night what would happen to the new house teleporter tiles(12th year vet reward) if they dropped as part of an IDOC and there were lots of scary possibilities I thought up.

I'm not placing mine just yet!

Too many reports of it not redeeding, being destroyed instead of redeeding, some people mention using an axe can destroy the graphics on a tile of the whole design and leave a 'codex' with a hole in it or an edge square missing, and others losing the thing if they redesign the house.

It can stay in deed form in a bankbox for now. Nice as much of the new stuff looks, there are an awful lot of reports of bugs of varying levels of seriousness, from item loss to 'broken' house decorating methods....

Maybe after the next patch fixing this one. Or maybe I'll wait two, since lately patches have not been well enough thought out, or tested, for me to trust them.

Lazlow

Lazlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thx for the response. It sounds like I'm not the only one having issues with them. Hopefully the new patch will be ready soon.

IKEA

IKEA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Re-deeds fine clicking middle with an axe like with other deeded items. As with other deeded items and statues, if you're going to customize your house, make sure you re-deed and put them in a safe place. Painful loss of items over the years has taught me to always do that.

As for placing these, they take up 6x6 tiles, but require a good 8x8 minimum of clear space to place. When placing, look for what will roughly be the middle of the codex.

Aurelius

Aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Just this week it was Gargish Dressers eating items, then disappearing pets, now buggy codexes.

The most frustrating thing about the Garg dressers was that bug was reported in Beta.... :reye

Lately, if QA is being used at all, they're apparently given so little time to test anything they miss some truly obvious bugs (the recent patch that wiped 2d desktop icons was hardly difficult to notice!). EA seem to have forgotten or given up caring that TC and Origin, if they are to have any place in bug finding, need time to play and notice things, not the hopeless 12 hours or so they gave them for the last publish. That would not be a watertight bug test - that's not possible, in practical terms. But I get the impression the EA business (NOT the Dev team) philosophy is 'get the thing out now and fix it later, don't waste time and money getting it right'. The implication of that for their attitude towards their customers is pretty clear....

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
IMO, I think that while that's not entirely false, it's a bit harsh. Last week's bug parade was the publish pushed out to address a lot of bugs, as the publish notes enumerated at considerable length. This included the fix for the garg dressers and the following day another update for the disappearing pets. Given that SA just launched, lots of people were probably making dressers. As for the pets poofing, well, lots of people have pets too. As for the poofing codexes, the number of people affected is far lower as the items were new, free and word got out within a day or so. While it's regrettable, I think it's the lesser of the three bugs mentioned. Everyone gets several anniversary tickets, and even moreso if you have multiple accounts, not to mention cross-shard trade for even more.

Over the years, there are some people who expect a cure to cancer and eternal salvation for their precious $12.99/month. I'm sure the devs would love to fulfill this, but as you said, some things are not possible, in practical terms.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Did some testing and found that it requires 6x6 tiles. You can place it by standing anywhere within your house and using the deed.

The funny thing is you can re-deed it by using(double-clicking) an axe and:
a)Targetting the axe within 1 tile if you are standing on or next to it
B) Two tiles away if you are standing at least two tiles away.

This is a bit different from other house add-on behavior.

Does not seem to have a use(reciting Virtue mantras did nothing).

For the time being til the devs clarify, comment or fix, I certainly would not customize a house with it on the floor - re-deed it prior to entering House Customization mode!

Aurelius

Aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

IMO, I think that while that's not entirely false, it's a bit harsh.

Perhaps.... but I'm worried by any company that put a major publish on TC on the 7th, Origin on the 8th, and plans release on all live shards on the 9th. It's not as if they hadn't already missed the 12th anniversary date anyway, I can't fathom out what the rush was all about.

And it's not just those three bugs, rather a lot has gone wrong with methods of house deco that have been used for years, which you can only catch by leaving on a shard where people play for a few days - and that was meant to be the whole point of Origin. I've been concerned about the testing regime for a while, especially after the farce of KR being declared 'Gold', and a few months later the guy who said that admitting it was far from true but driven by marketing needs. But only admitting it when he left EA.....

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Purely speculation, but I bet it had to do with influx of people logged in for free til this week as part of Return to Britannia getting a nice little gift. Of course, there's also the slew of bug fixes that needed to go out anyway, likely the Gargish Dresser chief among them.

I don't think the unreadiness of KR at release is a secret. Marketing often enslaves product development in the software industry as well as many others.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: codex, virtue