Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Returning to UO was a great idea.

- - - - - great idea returning uo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Kire

Kire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
After taking a break from UO for several years I came back to a much changed world. The first major change I encountered was going from being 7X GM and kicking butt to GM is not good enough anymore. Many skills max out at 120 now. I recommend looking at the different skill templates posted on the forum and start making a game plan on what direction you would like to go. After getting my butt kicked I headed off to Britain to find a smith for some new GM armor and weapons but Britain was empty. The fond memories of lagging in Britain are just that, memories. Most people can be found hanging out in Luna or player run towns. Luna is like a shopping mall, just like many malls it has good points and bad. Hundreds of vendors line the streets, so many it would take weeks to find what you need. There are a couple websites for searching the vendors in Luna, get familiar with them. Back to my need for new armor, smiths not longed hang out waiting to repair armor. Smiths make armor repair deeds and sell them on vendors. The next major learning curve I faced was armor and weapons, all GM armor is not the same now. Armor is rated by its resistance to five different attacks (Physical, Fire, Cold, Poison, and Energy) for a maximum of 70 each when all armor pieces are added together. If figuring out attack resistance is not enough, armor can have other attributes like Self Repair and Stamina Increase. While cruising around trying to figure out skills, armor, and weapons, I noticed fewer houses. With fewer players, more land and a limit of one house per account, owning a house is much easier. More not so fond memories of waiting for a house to decay so I can place one. Many things have changed in this game and some have stayed the same, it is like visiting a friend you lost touch with. I have been back to playing UO for almost five months and I like it even more than I did before. For the most part the people who still play are helpful and will go out of their way to help a new person out. I have noticed many others have decided to revisit UO, if you fall into this category I hope you have a pleasant experience. If you have questions or need help with something please send me a message, I know what it is like to return. A good place to look for a helping hand is on the Guild Forums section of this site.
Kire

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Welcome back and to UOForums! Glad your enjoying it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
Welcome back! What shard are you playing?

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Welcome back, Kire! Glad you're having fun! :)

IKEA

IKEA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I came back a few months ago also, having previously played from 1999 to 2004.

A lot of changes in those years, though I was prepared in some respects having played a couple of the free shards in the meantime.

I went back to Great Lakes, which had always been my favorite shard. I was lucky enough to speak with a few people in [-Y-] CuZZ Thats How We ROLL, who helped me settle back into the swing of things quickly. All seven of my alts are now in the same guild.

I'm still learning areas of the game that were not around last time, but in contrast to that I've quickly got to grips with Stygian Abyss and was only the third person on the shard to place a house by the Royal City in Ter Mur.

So whilst everyone is helping me "discover" all the things that I missed through Mondain's Legacy and such, I'm helping them get to grips with SA.

It's been great fun so far and the best thing about the shard as always... the people!

Kire

Kire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
I play on Chessy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: great, idea, returning, uo