Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

If you visit UOLedger.com, a word of warning.

- - - - - uoledgercom visit warning word

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
As per the chat log

Tancred RedStar:is UOLedger currently hacked?
Tancred RedStar: I just tried to go there and got connections all over eastern Europe and the site won't load, lol

Tancred was right, the site doesn't appear to load and comes up with a maintanance message, but the site opens many connections to european/russian IP's when you visit it.

Indeed, several of the sites that get automatically pulled to your browser, are blacklisted by Google and Trend micro

See - Norton Safe Web, from Symantec - report for icq-mobila.ru
And - TrustedSource - Query Result for www.icq-mobila.ru

(The two links above are SAFE to click)

I would advise NOT visiting the site, at least until the owner comes here and updates us as to it's status.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Thanks for sharing this, I used a google-cached version of the website to find the owner's ICQ and sent him a message alerting him to what's going on. If anyone knows him personally and has a faster way to contact him, I highly recommend it.

The first thing he should do is shutdown his site, then look at the logs and file modification times to find out what changed and when, and then how and from where and lastly fix/patch and then bring it back up.

Taylor V. Smith

Taylor V. Smith

Director of Stratics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.
Our beloved UOLedger.com was taken by Russian hackers. The website administrator, Asimo, is trying to fix the problem.

Meantime, thank you for your warning, Adam, and thanks to everyone for your patience.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
https://addons.mozil...refox/addon/722

This addon will block all java, flash, and other scripts from running on firefox. You can add sites to an exception list to allow your trusted sites to function.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
What is UOLedger, and is it back up?

~M

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
What is UOLedger, and is it back up?

~M

Taylor V. Smith

Taylor V. Smith

Director of Stratics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
The UOLedger.com is a site designed to bring the UO community real-time, breaking news items, editorials, player profiles, polls, etc. Unfortunately, the site was attacked and is in need of repair.

It is not back up yet. :-(

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Our beloved UOLedger.com was taken by Russian hackers. The website administrator, Asimo, is trying to fix the problem.

Meantime, thank you for your warning, Adam, and thanks to everyone for your patience.

Glad to hear he's aware of it
I tried to ICQ him, at least the ICQ I found on his profile anyways.

[rant]And wow, I posted this warning on here and on Stratics, because I know people use the site and had a feeling it might be infecting people's pcs with trojans

The response on stratics (no real surprise) was the total opposite of what I got here

On stratics I got accused of running a "Smear campaign" and called a "greedy !!!" by another posters

And people wonder why I never recommend Stratics anymore[/rant]

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Urgh. True. I have never understood the competitiveness between some fansite members who seem to think they must fight off all references to other parts of the community, as if they stand to turn a profit.

I have my beefs with Stratics, largely that it needs heavier moderation, and their forums tend to be laggy and sluggish at times. But enough of the /rant.

Fansites are often targeted by hackers, because in many cases the owner can't afford the same security a company run site has, and giving a warning when one is taken over is simply looking out for others, not trying to capitalize on someones misfortune.

But can we just cut russia off from the internet or something? Constant hacker attacks from up there are getting to be annoying.

Taylor V. Smith

Taylor V. Smith

Director of Stratics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
Sorry about what happened on Stratics, Adam. From the UOLedger.com's perspective, the warning was past due.

When Tazar asked, I told him that it was OK with the Ledger to keep the thread running: the Ledger is certainly not in competition with UOForums.com. However, once the other posters got started (especially Enigma, who is banned from UOForums for being a brutish churl), he did not want it to get further.

Regardless, we at the Ledger appreciate the warning.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well if you guys need any help at all, please feel free to PM me.

Taylor V. Smith

Taylor V. Smith

Director of Stratics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
Just got an update from the website admin. According to Asimo, it seems that

the script it's asking people to download was maliciously put into every index.php file on the site, and other code was removed somehow. To retrieve the lost data I'd have to go to a backup of UOLedger that was taken in August . . . .

If the website is recoverable, our newer content will be lost. He's still trying to figure out what to do. Hoping for the best.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That sucks :(
He should ask Godaddy for any logs they might have as to how the data was hacked like that

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia
He should make a backup of the current state first, so any new data may possibly be retrieved from that *if* an old backup does have to be restored...
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
It was sad to see what the thread devolved into on Stratics.

Daily backups, with logs and files stored both on- and offsite, can really save your butt and just needs a cron job.

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

It was sad to see what the thread devolved into on Stratics.

Daily backups, with logs and files stored both on- and offsite, can really save your butt and just needs a cron job.

Hear hear! I too learned that the hard way about a year ago! I now backup each night to a NAS in a different building than my house, where my private server is, so that even a fire will not damage my data...
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Yeah, the thing is that, as Adam can probably attest, off site backup is expensive.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
According to this Stratics thread, it will not be back.

The Final Verdict on UOLedger.com - Stratics Forums

candice lovelace

candice lovelace

DJ Paris Rapture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
thanks for letting us know. Interesting.

Candy

Taylor V. Smith

Taylor V. Smith

Director of Stratics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
A real shame . . . :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uoledgercom, visit, warning, word