Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Ultima Online: AGDC Interview with Tim Cotton

- - - - - agdc cotton interview online tim ultima

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Mythic's Tim Cotton took some time during AGDC to catch us up on what EA is up to with the venerable Ultima Online.

By Garrett Fuller on September 23, 2009

Ultima Online is a shining example in the MMO world. It is the oldest running MMO right now that everyone remembers. Ultima Online just celebrated its twelve year anniversary and has twenty seven active servers around the world. Many MMO companies wish they could have at type of success. We sat down with Tim Cotton and talked about Ultima Online’s rich history, its most recent expansion, and its bright future.
Tim pointed out right away that “Ultima will live on!” Despite many changes including development teams and even publishers, the game itself continues to grow. With Stygian Abyss just being added in the game has seen a resurgence of players. The team is trying to make the game accessible to new and old players alike. Because Ultima’s systems are so open, the developers look more at giving players the tools to enhance the world they have already created.

Full story here

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Thanks for sharing the article! I wasn't sure when/where the interview begain, it was like the author had an interview and then just told us kind of what happened rather than posting the actual interview.

Also, technically, UO is not yet 12, the birthday is tomorrow!

And I remember Tomb of Horrors well! Interesting spin on it that it is considered a prime example for game design, I always just thought it was awesome.

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
okay, anyone else think that interview was lacking or was it just me?
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Yeah a bit lacking, but I do like the feeling they see a future for UO down the road.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Definitely lacking in content, but I finished reading it with an, "Awwww! Some love from the public!" type of reaction. :P They said some nice things, at least!

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Yeah a bit lacking, but I do like the feeling they see a future for UO down the road.

As long as UO makes money, there will be a UO. Wish they would actually tell us how many new accounts and returning accounts (accounts inactive for over one year - my definition) have been brought back by SA. I am not asking for the exact number, just ballpark it. Say like 5000 plus, or something vague but measurable, do not just say thousands.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Aye it wouold be nice to know how much this expansion has affected population. But the UO folks have never been the type to throw those numbers about.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I think unless it's overwhelmingly, incredulously positive theyre just going to choose not to say. They were pretty amped when they crossed the 200k mark and bandied that about, not so much since.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
After some reflection, I'm not sure if it makes sense to really share financials(sub numbers). People play games because they enjoy them, not because it's profitable, altho with the caveat that they'd certainly want to have an inkling a game is going to be around a while before they invest time, effort and the game purchase price. In that regard, there are literally tons of games with less than 50k subscribers(or even half that), that are *still* around after years at that level.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Have to agree Tancred. As long as it's profitable, that's really what counts. Truly is nice to see the oldtimers coming back and at least giving it a run.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: agdc, cotton, interview, online, tim, ultima