Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

UO and Mac

- - - - - mac uo

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Angst

Angst

Old and Decrepit Guiding Spirit of the Leafsta Survivors

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
With the dollar so cheap and the Swedish krona strong, this is the time to buy a windoze program and get back into UO. I only have 2 mb RAM on my MacBook, Leopard OS, but I could never consider going back to pc. So Boot Camp is the way to go if I can get some help on the way.

Last time I was in UO I bought a bottom of the range pc just for UO and it crashed on me in mid-game, after just 18 months. Luckily I was playing solo and anonymous after having left the guilds I was in. But its not something I fancy repeating.

The problem is an odd one as I can't understand why Apple can't devise a simple partition method that doesn't take a 26-page Boot Camp assistant too complicated to follow for the computer-simpleton I am.

There are many other private and some free ways of nesting UO in an existing Mac OS - Virtual Box, WineBottler, Crossover, but I have decided that Boot Camp is best as it keeps UO in its own partition and I can't envisage using both UO and my usual Mac programs simultaneously.

Contact me privately if you can help should I get stuck. It would be nice to know there is someone there to give advice if needed.

Angst

Angst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I have been trying to figure out how to get boot camp to work and decided that it is just not possible on a basic MacBook with Leopard OS.

I will continue to lurk on these boards and even perhaps post from time to time.

EvilLordSMuRFY

EvilLordSMuRFY

www.OnlineGameTales.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
You're in luck! I have played UO on a mac since the 1990s. While back in the day we needed a windows emulator, these days we have bootcamp. Bootcamp comes with your mac and all you need is to install a copy of windows.

Any intel mac may install windows. ANY. You will find that even the lowest end macs will out perform many of your fellow UO players, nobody is quite sure why, but you'll love it if you pvp.

Riboflavin

Riboflavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
Why would I like to have windows on a Mac. Happy that I don't need to use it anymore. UO goes fine with wine on Mac OSX and Linux.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Angst

Angst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Thanks to you both for the ideas - much appreciated. If I get stuck I will get back either here or privately.

jack_handy

jack_handy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I use an imac, but I have windows installed on it, so when i boot up my computer I hold down option key and it asks which system i want to use, i pick windows and im off to the races. hope this helps

Deckard

Deckard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Why would I like to have windows on a Mac. Happy that I don't need to use it anymore. UO goes fine with wine on Mac OSX and Linux.

It works under Wine for me as well on Mac OS X. Lately I've been running both clients under Parallels Desktop as I was using some Windows programs that read the art files and it was just easier to have everything within a VM, but for day-to-day usage Wine under Mac OS X works just fine for both the CC and EC.

If you've got the memory and processor, I would avoid Boot Camp at all cost. If you are leery of setting up Wine, CrossOver Games for Mac provides similar functionality with a better interface. I know of somebody who has been using CrossOver Games for Mac since January or February and they haven't had any problems.

Angst

Angst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
OK, this is what I have:
a Macbook 3,1 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Memory.

I have 87 Gb memory "available", (26 Gb "used") out of total 111 Gb

OS X Leopard, safari 5.06

I have downloaded Ubuntu 10 which is a server (?). I don't need my own server - do I?. Isn't a server for multiple computers like at one workplace? I have also downloaded Winebottle.

Is it as easy as Riboflavin suggests, I just need to somehow install Linux and Wine alongside Safari, with a simple switch between the two OS's (safari and Linux-Ubuntu)? If I also need parallels, I don't have it. I bought it for windows and never managed to get it to work, so I dumped it, simply threw it away, after I bought the pc that crashed after just 18 months. I thought it was only needed for Microsoft windows on a mac.
I spent a couple of hours trying to find out on Apple's website what an iMac is! Its just a screen and doesn't seem to have a hard disk! If it only works on so-called wireless internet its no use to me anyway, I don't have cloud technology, I am hooked up to online by an amazing spaghetti of cables in a internet-TV-telephone package, and Time Machine won't work for some reason. So I can't back anything up in case of failure, without using some 30-40 CDs to store my 33 Gb, even more if I need to save the 2 OS's. The Macrumors forum is far too technical for me to even understand the beginners forum (Mac Basics and Help).

Riboflavin's solution seems to me to be the best for my needs. But how would I switch between Safari and Linux-with-Wine?

Riboflavin

Riboflavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
Actually, you can install wine (MacOSX/Building - The Official Wine Wiki) directly in Leopard. It will create a "Windows"-like environment while still running your nice OS X Leopard.
I found that link quite helpfull for setting up wine:
Installing Wine on Mac OS X
In your case there is no particular need to switch to Ubuntu. Which is another operating system. I just mentioned it in the case that there would be another PC.
And actually Safari is just your browser. Like Firefox. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac, uo