Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

UO and Mac

- - - - - mac uo

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
A friend tried to get UO for his Mac laptop. It won't run. Should he get it elsewhere, since he just got the main dl from the UO site? Or is there anything spiffy and special he needs to do? When it comes to tech type advice I am clueless. :X

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
I think there's a 3rd party UO client out there somewhere that runs on Macs. Not 100% sure, just something I vaguely remember seeing a long time ago on the forums.

If you want to use the Classic/SA clients, you need something like Parallels or Boot Camp in order to run Windows on the machine. You can't run UO at all on a Mac otherwise.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Yeah, if you install and run with Boot Camp it will probably work. I know 2D works with Boot Camp, havent tried with SA/Enhanced, since I dont actually own a Mac.

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
So when it comes to SA can he do it? I think he just is doing the trial account right now, but if he decides to keep playing will he be able?

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
Again, if you want to use the Classic/SA clients, you need something like Parallels or Boot Camp in order to run Windows on the machine. You can't run UO at all on a Mac otherwise. What kind of subscription you have doesn't play into it at all.

Thav12

Thav12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I use my macbook pro exclusively. WOrks like a dream. I do use windows 7 and dualboot via boot camp. Just so you know, this is already on your macbook. No need to buy new software. Only need to make a partition for your windows 7, which can be relatively small if all you do is boot windows and play ultima. Drawback is that you will have to reboot and switch operating systems. Plus is that you can run all your nice windows programs such as ventrilo, icq etc without mixing them with your snowleopard mac stuff.

There is a problem with the bootcamp drivers and the audio on the latest macbook pro's. Until they fix it with a new driver, you will need to use a usb headset with mic if you want to use things like ventrilo. Other than that it works unbelievably well.

Oh, and for the record: this is the SA/enhenced new client. Haven't used the old and obsolete 2d client for anything in 4 months. Only people running scripts need the 2d client to run the scripting software that makes UO so easy... everything else can be done better, faster and much more elegantly in the new client. Have not crashed but once, due to an internet provider issue.

Remember, nay-sayers always will say 'Nay'...=)

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Hah, the main program they use for scripting (not mentioning names, but a lot of you might know what it is) has been borked since SA came out due to the changes :)

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

I use my macbook pro exclusively. WOrks like a dream. I do use windows 7 and dualboot via boot camp. Just so you know, this is already on your macbook. No need to buy new software. Only need to make a partition for your windows 7, which can be relatively small if all you do is boot windows and play ultima. Drawback is that you will have to reboot and switch operating systems. Plus is that you can run all your nice windows programs such as ventrilo, icq etc without mixing them with your snowleopard mac stuff.

Oh, and for the record: this is the SA/enhenced new client. Haven't used the old and obsolete 2d client for anything in 4 months. Only people running scripts need the 2d client to run the scripting software that makes UO so easy... everything else can be done better, faster and much more elegantly in the new client.

First off, not trying to derail the thread....but....

...well, I for one cannot run the enhanced client for some reason...mayhaps a multitude of reasons.

I don't use 2D because I 'need the 2d client to run the scripting software that makes UO so easy' ; I use it because the enhanced beta runs terribly on my system...why? I can't say for certain, but I've got some ideas;

I consistently see my pagefile usage spike by 500MB when the UOSA client launches; in contrast the 2d client does not do this.

Better or not? This is purely subjective and conditional, but the 'features' look like they've got potential.

The interface looks neat and somewhat useful, the graphics do have plenty of adjustments- I don't enjoy the blur though, I had to change it to not be blurry so it didn't hurt my eyes. I have to crank up my refresh rate for this reason; I see most computer screens flicker/move below 100Hz.

I suppose it would run better were I to have a multi-core processor, a huge amount of RAM, and a 64-bit operating system. However, I do not. I am certain many others have the same issue with performance and lag on the new "enhanced beta" version- they likely have way faster PC's in comparison to mine. In fact, I can run oblivion on my system with better performance than the enhanced beta, and my oblivion install is over 12GB in size.

Simply put; the minimum "system requirements" listed for the game client on the uogamecodes page would likely not run the new enhanced client well, and I have to wonder if it would run them at all.

I have far more memory, processor speed, and I meet and exceed all of the other specifications for the client, however I still experience terrible performance [mouse lag, game lag, freezing, excessive memory usage} even after manually tuning the settings of the client down in the configuration file. You'd think that the memory being used up would allow the client to perform faster, but since it spikes up the size of the page file [which also continues to rise as the client is being run], it's doing a lot of work paging to/from the disk.

I'll upgrade when I can afford to do so... When that day comes [or the day they patch the enhanced client with more options to adjust memory/page file usage], I may attempt to run the enhanced client again. Furthermore, as it stands I simply have had too many issues with trying to fix it to make it not broken on my system to enjoy it.

In conclusion, the enhanced client doesn't like me and tries to eat my memory up like a rabid virtual ram-eating-pac-man on a killing spree, aimed for my pagefile and free RAM.

Meanwhile, the CPU usage stays low or lower than the 2D client....I'm stumped.

Have not crashed but once, due to an internet provider issue.

Remember, nay-sayers always will say 'Nay'...

I say you mail me your Mac.... and then my 'Nay' will become a 'Yay'!

....I'll send it back in a few weeks, honest. :laughing1:

Really, though, I'm glad to see someone can run it without any issues. It just proves the system requirements are astronomically higher to get decent performance in comparison to 2D.

Either that, or Mac handles the hardware much more reliably than Windows. :o

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

There is a problem with the bootcamp drivers and the audio on the latest macbook pro's. Until they fix it with a new driver, you will need to use a usb headset with mic if you want to use things like ventrilo. Other than that it works unbelievably well.

Oh, and for the record: this is the SA/enhenced new client. Haven't used the old and obsolete 2d client for anything in 4 months. Only people running scripts need the 2d client to run the scripting software that makes UO so easy... everything else can be done better, faster and much more elegantly in the new client. Have not crashed but once, due to an internet provider issue.

Remember, nay-sayers always will say 'Nay'...=)

If this works for you then great. For most everyone else looking to use Boot Camp I'd recommend using XP. Windows 7 isn't a bad OS by any serious margin, but it's absurdly fat. I wouldn't recommend putting it on any dual-booting mac unless you're ready to throw down ~$3K on a Mac Pro with some 8gb memory, or else you might have a noticable performance drop compared to XP.

Thav12

Thav12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

If this works for you then great. For most everyone else looking to use Boot Camp I'd recommend using XP. Windows 7 isn't a bad OS by any serious margin, but it's absurdly fat. I wouldn't recommend putting it on any dual-booting mac unless you're ready to throw down ~$3K on a Mac Pro with some 8gb memory, or else you might have a noticable performance drop compared to XP.

Sorry guys, didn't want to come off as a snob with a 3000 dollar computer. But I did.

However, there are some points I would like to make --

1) hardware is important in running the Enhanced client
2) it is mostly a memory issue, and indeed 4 Mb is the minimum (i don't have 8, that would be a 1000 dollar investment. Insane!)
3) 64 Bit doesn't matter, it is run in 32 regardless
4) it runs nicely on a Sony laptop as well. Only problem was that the built in dual graphics card literally got fried playing the game. It is VERY graphics intense despite the "old" appearing graphics. So on a 64 Mb dedicated graphics card in a laptop, with 128 Mb shared main memory, the Enhanced client runs as well. with the noted problem you can fry an egg and a steak on your PC in about 20 minutes of game time. And it will kill your graphics card, usually about 3 minutes after your warranty expires....
5) Windows 7 is free for now
6) XP is not.
7) "fat OS" may be true, but most have a "fat" HD that can easily accomodate a 60Gb partition. For that, you get a very slick OS that (again in MHO) is rivaling the Mac OS.
8) XP is a great OS for ultima online on a box with slightly older hardware
9) Guys, come on, the enhanced client is a bliss to play. I know that there are issues with various hardware configurations, but please keep sending the bugs to Mythic. The client is still in Beta. Also, most people will eventually turn in their old PC and buy a new one... It is the future of Ultima for the next decade(s) to come! help built it strong!

Now, if the old client would run on my iphone or win mobile 6.1 I would revert on all I said and say screw the new client :) =) =) =)

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Windows 7 may be 'fatter' but with 4GB of RAM I don't notice a difference in performance between it and XP.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
I run UO on my Mac's too (both the old 2006 iMac and the new MacBook Pro laptop). I tried running it with Parallels (virtual machine software that lets you run Windows right within your Mac OS X) but I found that the virtualized network support was just too slow for network games. My pings were awful.

So, now I use BootCamp (built into Mac/Leopard+), which allows you to install Windows on a Mac in a dual-boot scenario. I've used BootCamp with XP, Vista, and now have both machines running Windows 7. I have no problems at all running UO (I play SA but in the past played KR and 2D as well).

You do need a legal copy of Windows in order to set it up with BootCamp.

Works wonderfully :)

SchezwanBeefy

SchezwanBeefy

SchezwanBeefy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
I love my mac but... is it horrible that I'm thinking about buying a pc just to play UOSA?
I mean, really. When I do run UO on my computer with the 2 gb of RAM I have and big hard drive, my fan turns on automatically. Only when I play UO does this happen. Repeating what another player said, I -really- can fry an egg on my computer when I do play. I love my Mac but for playing UO, I think a PC would be best. Who knows, maybe we'll get a mac version soon? =]

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
my fan is always on :)

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
I've considered building a PC to play UO, just so I wouldn't have to leave my Mac side (cuz that's where ALL of the rest of my life is! So when I'm in Windows for UO, I can't use any of the other things I do on the computer).

Since UO has pretty low system requirements anyway, it probably wouldn't cost all that much to put together a UO machine... I'm still debating...

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Sorry guys, didn't want to come off as a snob with a 3000 dollar computer. But I did.

However, there are some points I would like to make --

1) hardware is important in running the Enhanced client
2) it is mostly a memory issue, and indeed 4 Mb is the minimum (i don't have 8, that would be a 1000 dollar investment. Insane!)
3) 64 Bit doesn't matter, it is run in 32 regardless
4) it runs nicely on a Sony laptop as well. Only problem was that the built in dual graphics card literally got fried playing the game. It is VERY graphics intense despite the "old" appearing graphics. So on a 64 Mb dedicated graphics card in a laptop, with 128 Mb shared main memory, the Enhanced client runs as well. with the noted problem you can fry an egg and a steak on your PC in about 20 minutes of game time. And it will kill your graphics card, usually about 3 minutes after your warranty expires....
5) Windows 7 is free for now
6) XP is not.
7) "fat OS" may be true, but most have a "fat" HD that can easily accomodate a 60Gb partition. For that, you get a very slick OS that (again in MHO) is rivaling the Mac OS.
8) XP is a great OS for ultima online on a box with slightly older hardware
9) Guys, come on, the enhanced client is a bliss to play. I know that there are issues with various hardware configurations, but please keep sending the bugs to Mythic. The client is still in Beta. Also, most people will eventually turn in their old PC and buy a new one... It is the future of Ultima for the next decade(s) to come! help built it strong!

Now, if the old client would run on my iphone or win mobile 6.1 I would revert on all I said and say screw the new client :) =) =) =)

Duly noted. On a side note, I'd enjoy using a mac, but my first means to that end is dumping a small chunk of cash and using existing components to leech as much value and life out of them as possible.

So I figure the upgrade will be [I always base it on what I want to put in a PC, because when I can afford it, it's always cheaper by then=)] new motherboard, a newer quad-core athlon processor, couple of low-cost mid-range nvidia cards, 4gb of ram, and since I'm concerned the new system will not support PATA, either a new SATAII drive with NCQ or an IDE add-in card to leech the last days out of these drives.

Either way, the UI and the settings tips I found to reduce blur in the new client are essentially what I would be aiming for. That, and higher resolution, which I could do now in the classic client, but I don't see the point.

I like sparkly particle effects. I'm not sure why. :P

Being that it IS a beta, I'm trying to be patient with it. Unfortunately, I need to re-install it on a faster machine to get the full benefit from using it. Classic client runs reasonably....however, I'd personally be happy with 2d chars on a 3d landscape with the particle effects. I know that sounds a bit off, but it might make for a neat option we could set in the menu.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
To really compare OS sizes, I would suggest going to percentages.

When XP came out, we had the mighty 200gb hard drive. (or less) Now, we have 1TB. so 10gb when XP was new is 50gb now, both are five percent of your drive.
------------------
I agree with kitiara. I use windows for the same reason.

The real reason to go windows or mac has nothing to do with technical specs, or hardware, or any of that rubbish. If apple or microsoft want me to push Windows or Mac on people they can send me a paycheck. :)

- Do you like the interface?
- Do you like the software you use with it?

If you answer yes, then that's your OS. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Thav12

Thav12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I love my mac but... is it horrible that I'm thinking about buying a pc just to play UOSA?
I mean, really. When I do run UO on my computer with the 2 gb of RAM I have and big hard drive, my fan turns on automatically. Only when I play UO does this happen. Repeating what another player said, I -really- can fry an egg on my computer when I do play. I love my Mac but for playing UO, I think a PC would be best. Who knows, maybe we'll get a mac version soon? =]

Be careful--

the fan always on thing is a windows thing, not a mac thing. I fried an egg (and a steak) on a PC/Laptop and ultimately destroyed my graphics card on a sony vaio laptop with dual graphic cards (the design just was not up to par to provide enough cooling to both the processor and the graphics card heating up while playing the Enhanced client.

On the mac book pro laptop (same amount of RAM 4 MB) the fan is also on a lot more when running windows on this computer and playing the Enhanced UO client. It heats up much less since the mac book pro is just much better designed to deal with heat, and secondly the graphics card has more on board memory lessening the amount of work the processors has to alleviate by mapping virtual graphics memory to the main memory banks.

Just to be sure I play UO on my macbook with an external fan underneath to aid in cooling. Don't want to fry another expensive laptop, but the mac hardware has been balanced much better than the best alternative "non-mac PC based solutions" I have seen. But please note, this is while running Windows 7, not the apple leopard software, so really this is not a Mac vs PC discussion, but more a hardware discussion...

In short, dont buy a PC if you run windows on a apple computer and the fan is always on because the fan will always be on on a PC as well since it is dependent on windows. I would suggest adding some memory to your mac to see if that may help some.

I think ANY box (non-laptop) should be doing much better with the cooling problems due to over use of the processor and graphics cards.

just my opinion.

Thav12

Thav12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

To really compare OS sizes, I would suggest going to percentages.

When XP came out, we had the mighty 200gb hard drive. (or less) Now, we have 1TB. so 10gb when XP was new is 50gb now, both are five percent of your drive.
------------------
I agree with kitiara. I use windows for the same reason.

The real reason to go windows or mac has nothing to do with technical specs, or hardware, or any of that rubbish. If apple or microsoft want me to push Windows or Mac on people they can send me a paycheck. :)

- Do you like the interface?
- Do you like the software you use with it?

If you answer yes, then that's your OS. Don't let anyone tell you different.

I agree very much with your post... It is interesting that most mac users still have both operating systems on their computers. Most people confuse hardware and software issues.

Guest_sturgis_*

Guest_sturgis_*
  • Guests
Just wanted to mention, 3rd party memory works fine and isn't NEARLY as expensive as the *cough RIPOFF* apple memory. Of course your mileage may vary. Mac pros are easy to upgrade, the rest not so easy. OWC is your friend.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac, uo