Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Does anyone play UO on satellite internet?

- - - - - internet play satellite uo

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Zalocaud

Zalocaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
We will probably be getting satellite internet soon. DSL and cable isn't available where we live. I want to ask if anyone plays UO on satellite and how it is? Are you able to play? Do you get disconnected alot?

Staticonatlantic

Staticonatlantic

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I did, i just moved and now im back on cable. I had a really crappy Sat internet ISP. He ran it out of his basement on a compaq computer, and it looked frightning, but it worked, everyonce in a while i would run into lag spikes but it wasent bad.

Hope it helps.

Taylor V. Smith

Taylor V. Smith

Director of Stratics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.
Er...you can...but I shudder to think of the latency. :-/

Zalocaud

Zalocaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Would you ever get disconnected from lag? Was PvP and PvE a no hassle?

Staticonatlantic

Staticonatlantic

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I would get disconnetected every once in a while, but usually due to severe storms or weather. Lag was not really an issue, PVE and PVM was great, no hassle at all

Zalocaud

Zalocaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, did you ever use team speak or ventrillo with UO? Was that possible?

When I played UO back in 2001 to 2006 I was on dial up as I am now and the only real problem I had was not being able to run fast. Everyone around me was way faster than me and I couldn't keep up with anyone. However, I was still able to do everything in the game with just about any amount of people. Laggy yes, but in most cases I was still able to get alot of spells off when it mattered.

Staticonatlantic

Staticonatlantic

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
hell i would be on sat playing both WoW and uo using vent, and i did fine, downloading music lol i mean the sat company put a cap on me after a while because my bandwidth was insane

Zalocaud

Zalocaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
What was your package speeds?

Zalocaud

Zalocaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm in the main forum page chat if you want to open up a page for that and talk to me in chat. Ijust want to make sure I won't need a backup dial up account to play online games, and use satellite to download and web surf.

Thumper

Thumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
I can't really answer your question, as I never used sattellite, but you could always start off with some of the new crafting type things before jumping gun-ho... Kinda see if you get disconnects and whatnot. If you do get disconnects, perhaps note when it happens and if there is a pattern, don't do dangerous tasks around then. Bottom line, just hoping you the best.

Probably not an option (as I think it's expensive) but might want to look into EVDO - it can't hurt to research it at the very least.

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Hi Zalocaud,

To add on to what Thumper said, mobile broadband (EVDO is one type) is usually much cheaper and faster than satellite Internet... it depends on coverage & market size in your area. AT&T, Cricket, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon all offer plans. It's worth the research.

Satellite Internet may be usable on some providers, but historically the performance is terrible... and even worse because of the relative high price.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Zalocaud

Zalocaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I think my area is on the EDGE network when it comes to mobile broadband. Everytime I look for mobile ISPs they always have high proces and bandwdth limits. I will surely need an unlimited bandwidth provider and something that isn't as laggy as EDGE. But then again I have never used EDGE, I just have read its high latency as well.

Thumper

Thumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
only reason I mentioned EVDO is because Patrick Norton uses it for desert type places, and he is very happy about it... couldn't really tell you the episodes - but he talks about it on revision3.com on Tekzilla - I was just throwing it out...

Staticonatlantic

Staticonatlantic

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
i dont know what my speed was, like i said it just was a basement isp lol, it worked fine, its was like a mix between DSL and cable.

Zalocaud

Zalocaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, so you were able to run as fast as everyone else? I know on dial up I can't run as fast as anyone else. I take a few steps, lag a little, then run a few more steps, lag a little.

Also, how fast are your actions when you had satellite? When you casted a spell was it instant?

Staticonatlantic

Staticonatlantic

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
yeah everything was great, i ran asfast as everyone and spellcast was instant, 100x better than dial up.

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
You want terrible? NETZERO dialup! You got disconnected EVERY hour! Jeez. Then you had dial back online. :( Even the paid version had this... feature....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I've seen DSL as low as $15/month and usually $20/month, not sure why anyone is still using dial-up.

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
Maybe their local companies don't provide it? :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zalocaud

Zalocaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well Tancred, its because the good internet services simply aren't available in my area. I really don't like it when people say that. Its like you telling me I had all the internet options on the table and I chose dial up. That is not the case. If DSL was available to me, I would've had it day 1.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: internet, play, satellite, uo