Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Need help (mac user) cant get SA to work

- - - - - mac sa user work

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Guest_goosfraba211_*

Guest_goosfraba211_*
  • Guests
I play uo through a virtual console and I have not had a single problem with the regular 2d client runs smooth. I decided to give SA a shot as I have been waiting for it. It downloads fine, patched slow but patched nonetheless, but then when I click play I get this message.

WARNING!
Could not create hardware renderer. Click OK to try software emulation. Please note this will seriously degrade performance.

when I do click ok i then get this message and it closes completly

Error: Shutting down
Could not create game renderer. Please verify that your video card meets the minimum hardware requirements and that you have the latest drivers installed.

I run this on the new Imac and I mean its a pretty nice comp, maybe something I have to change in the virtual console I dont know, but if anyone has seen this error or knows how to help I would greatly appreciate it....thank you.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Check for the latest video/3D drivers *in* your virtual instance *and* for your host OS. You may also need to update to the latest version of your virtualization app.

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Hi goosfraba211,

Welcome to UOF. Sounds like a video issue... either the card, the drivers, or DirectX that the software emulator is using. Check to make sure your emulator is using the latest version of DirectX & drivers, and that the emulator supports the video card that your iMac is using.

Hope that helps.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Pretty sure SA requires DirectX 9c, but not sure.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
9.0c it is:
Current, official req's for SA(beta)

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Most developers are going to design to 9.0c now, at least until Vista/Win7 become standard. Too many XP gamers still out there to leave it out and go with 10+.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Most developers are going to design to 9.0c now, at least until Vista/Win7 become standard. Too many XP gamers still out there to leave it out and go with 10+.

Don't think that'll ever happen. Microsoft isn't seriously advertising Windows 7, and no PC gamer will ever use Vista after all of it's bad press. Given recent improvements to Boot Camp, gamers looking to change their system I'd think are more likely to go Mac than do anything else (assuming, of course, they're not the kind that are anal about spending 10k and putting together their own systems from scratch).

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Yeah it really depends. I will always be PC because plain and simple, if it's a game, I can run it. Mac has been making progress in this area, but most of what's out there is still Windows only.

I ran Vista and now I run Windows 7 with no issues. Vista with my old motherboard was hell. When I got a new one, all of my problems disappeared. I really think Vista was simply just incompatible with hardware older than it was. Like every version of windows before it, lol. Windows 95, Windows 98, I don't know why we expected a problem free OS this time around.

You can build a decent average gaming PC yourself for $800-$1200 and up if you have money to burn.

My only issues with Mac, are that I live in eastern canada, and we don't get much of a selection when it comes to buying hardware, unless we go online and deal with shipping fees. I can get most anything from my PC store, but Mac stuff is tough, as most Mac vendors (here) push to get you to get your machine serviced and upgraded by them.

I also don't like their hostile advertising campaigns. But that's probably the canadian in me. I'd rather see them promote boot camp, or other features of their systems, like they used to, instead of simply hating on Vista all the time.

But aside from that, I think Intel and Boot Camp are great, and probably saved their computer division. I'd love to get a laptop, if I weren't poor :)

It's between them and Dell / HP to see who sells more, however. As you said, guys like me that build our own PC's aren't going to switch :)

SchezwanBeefy

SchezwanBeefy

SchezwanBeefy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

I play uo through a virtual console and I have not had a single problem with the regular 2d client runs smooth. I decided to give SA a shot as I have been waiting for it. It downloads fine, patched slow but patched nonetheless, but then when I click play I get this message.

WARNING!
Could not create hardware renderer. Click OK to try software emulation. Please note this will seriously degrade performance.

when I do click ok i then get this message and it closes completly

Error: Shutting down
Could not create game renderer. Please verify that your video card meets the minimum hardware requirements and that you have the latest drivers installed.

I run this on the new Imac and I mean its a pretty nice comp, maybe something I have to change in the virtual console I dont know, but if anyone has seen this error or knows how to help I would greatly appreciate it....thank you.

I believe you got -way- further than I did in this process, but I was completely unable to install SA on my mac using an emulator. I don't think some of us will be seeing SA for a while unless emulator companies work on it to get it to run.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

I believe you got -way- further than I did in this process, but I was completely unable to install SA on my mac using an emulator. I don't think some of us will be seeing SA for a while unless emulator companies work on it to get it to run.

Have you tried the 2D SA client from UO.com? It should run just as well as the 2D client does on a mac.

Link should be in the post Chrissay made about Open Beta starting.

ilklim

ilklim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry to intrude into your thread, but may you give more info or a link on how to make at least 2d playable in Mac OS. Right now i'm using Windows 7 in Boot Camp to run UO..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac, sa, user, work