Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Sampire

sampire

165 replies to this topic

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Sampire, quite bluntly, means samurai-vampire. The intent is to use the vampire form life leech and the high damage output from a samurai to make a nearly unkillable PvM machine.

The template:
The following skills are required:
120 melee skill
120 bushido
120 parry
100 (or 99) necromancy
90 tactics (100 suggested)
60 chivalry

This leaves 80 (less than 4 years old)-100 (four years old or more) skill points for either anatomy, resisting spells or spirit speak.

Anatomy is the best all-around skill, since it will increase your damage output, and thus enable you to leech more life back.

Resisting spells is good for long fights with necromancy-casting opponents. Specifically this is a good skill for use in Doom, where the bosses frequently cast blood oath. A well timed blood oath will kill a no-resist sampire every time.

Spirit speak gives your other necromancy spells a little bit of added oomph, enabling you to wither through low end spawns, use wraith form instead of vamp form for leeching mana or using curse weapon for emergency life leeches.

Stats:
100 strength
Enough int to cast all of your weapons specials (if you're an elf, you can get away with 10 int, for a human, you need at least 30)
As much dex as you can get away with up to 125

Items:
The sampire depends on the right items to get away with this template, which can be very pricey or very cheap.
The bare minimum you'll need for a sampire is:
Armor:
45% DCI (70 if you depend on divine fury)
All 70's resists

Weapon:
A weapon that swings at the highest possible speed (1.25 seconds)
High mana leech
High stamina leech

Combined armor, talisman and weapon
100% damage increase

You can get all of that for a relatively small amount of gold with a little bit of creativity, then build up over time to get the higher end items.

For example, a new sampire could use an aegis of grace, fey leggings (elf version) and a ring or bracelet with 10% DCI to cover the DCI requirements while adding 20% damage increase to a ring and bracelet as well as wearing the gauntlets of nobility or stormgrip (both are less than 500k gold at the time of this guide) and a 40% damage increase weapon with mana and stamina increase in order to start out.

Through Miasma or Thrasher hunting, you can earn a lot of gold and earn minor artifacts which you can sell until you can afford better weapons and armor.

When you feel comfortable with that, you can learn to key the Dread Horn, which is the easiest peerless monster to kill with this template. After a while, you'll earn high end artifacts (the Crimson Cincture specifically, but ML ingredients and dread horn manes sell well too) which you can sell or trade for the highest end armor (mace and shield glasses, jackal's collar, ring of the vile, conjurer's trinket, etc)

Tactics advice:
-Honor everything, even mongbats.
-Use bushido's confidence, heal potions, refresh potions liberally. Use chivalry to cure only when you're done fighting (you auto-cure low level poisons in vampire form, and leech more damage than you take from any high level poisons)
-If you aren't lightning striking, then you're doing it wrong.
-If you don't have the mana to lightning strike constantly, then you need more mana leech
-You can get away with no stamina leech on your weapon only if you have more than 70% DCI and can cast frequent divine furies as well as using refresh potions.
-Honor everything (it bears repeating) Without honor, it's harder to hit that 300% damage increase cap, and makes things a lot harder for you.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
The advanced sampire suit:

When the time comes that you've grown accustomed to the sampire style and you have a few tens of millions of gold under your belt, then you will likely want to build yourself the ultimate sampire suit. In that vein, I would suggest adding the following pieces to your ensemble:

Head: Mace and Shield Reading Glasses: With very high physical resist and hit lower defense, you won't find a better piece of head-gear. No high end player should be without them. In fact, put this on the top of your wish-list of things to save up for.

Neck: Some people swear by the jackal's collar, but you could easily do better with a gold or agapite runic hammer. In fact, the minimum intensities brought out by a valorite or verite hammer have more mods than the jackal's. Therefore I suggest looking for a good mempo. In addition to fire and poison resists, your mempo should have stamina increase and either LMC or MR.

While the gladiator collar is very nice to have, I wouldn't suggest it for a sampire because your armor will be taking a constant beating and the gladiator collar [replica] can not be enhanced with powder of fortification.

Body: Three words: Rune Beetle Carapace. Even valorite hammers would be hard pressed to make a better piece of armor than that (though it is possible). With LMC, mana bonus and MR, mana will rarely be an issue again.

Legs: Since there's no way to cover DCI with only a ring/bracelet and quiver, you pretty much have to use the fey leggings.

Arms: There are no good artifact arms, so you'll have to cover more fire and poison resists as well as adding in more stamina gains. Like the mempo (or gorget if you're very lucky in finding one), extra mods will be best spent on LMC or MR.

Gloves: Stormgrip. You need the extra damage increase

Jewels: Both pieces together should give 25% or more DCI, 40% or more DI, 14 points of dex with the remaining 4 properties going to the mod of your choice (I like HCI or int). If you didn't get enough poison or fire resist (most of the other pieces have very low poison resist and vampire form kills fire resist) then you will need to make it up on your jewels.

Apron: Crimson Cincture.

Cloak/quiver: Quiver of infinity for the 5% DCI. Yes, you'll have 45-55% without it, but one divine fury lowers that a lot. So keep the quiver of infinity.

Melissa's cloak is a good alternative if your fire resist isn't high enough with all the other pieces

Talisman: Conjurer's trinket for everything except for the Twisted Weald and repond slaying (Fey-opposite is undead, so changelings should do double damage to you if you use an undead slayer).

Feet: Snake skin boots

Earrings (if you can find them): fire resist or poison resist earrings

At the end of your suit building, you should have
10% HCI
55% or more DCI
85% or more DI (before weapon, this is important for times when you want to use soul seeker or a non-exeptionally crafted weapon)
15-31% LMC
3-7% MR
16 points of stamina
10 points of mana
14 or more points of dex
8 points of intelligence
plus whatever four other mods you chose for your jewels

For an elf character with 10 intelligence, you would then have 48 mana, which is more than enough to get by, especially with extra LMC on your suit.

This allows you to sink more points into dexterity, which lets you hit faster, which lets you leech more damage, which increases your survivability.

Disclaimer: This suit is based on my own personal experience and the experiences of a select few other people. It is by no means the only advanced sampire suit you can build, and sometimes a different combination of items will give a better result (explanation to follow in the following chapters).

Disclaimer #2: If you go into factions, you could get the faction fey leggings, the faction primer on arms damage removal and the faction stormgrip for easier suit-building. Personally, I'm against entering factions without the intention of faction fighting (1), but I feel that you should know the option is out there.

Note (1): The sampire is a pretty dreadful template to use for PvP. Don't try it.

Timberbee

Timberbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
How do you make use of the quiver?

(hmm, I take it the quiver can be equiped in the cloak slot? I will go and try this now)

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
The quiver does, in fact, go to the cloak slot.

I suppose now would be a good time to include the imbued sampire suit. Since the Stygian Abyss opened, the Sampire template is more practical than ever, since the right suit is now fairly easy to make yourself.

The first thing people make for their new sampire is a practical weapon. With imbuing, you can create a slayer sword of choice and include stamina leech, swing speed increase and mana leech and still have some room left over to increase your damage. Or you could leave out the slayer for difficult fights and just add in hit-lower-attack.

Then the sampire jewel set has turned almost common. This set is a ring/bracelet set with the following properties:
Ring:
15% hit chance increase
15% defense chance increase
8 points of dexterity
5% swing speed increase (from turquoise ring)
20 or more damage increase

Bracelet:
15% hit chance increase
15% defense chance increase
8 points dexterity
20% damage increase
some intelligence gains

Some people add in lower mana cost instead of damage increase if they can get enough damage increase from their talisman, gloves and weapon. I personally like this method better, since swing speed (from the dex) means everything to the sampire. The other thing some people do is put in resists in one of the jewel slots (fire or poison) to fill out the character's resists, while adding in mana regeneration, lower mana costs and stamina gains to the sleeves and gorget.

With this jewel set, you can simply use the fey leggings to max out your defense chance increase, then use the rune beetle carapace for your tunic (There aren't any better tunics out there for anybody). Add in the mace and shield glasses and stormgrip, and you can easily fill in the arms and gorget slots with imbued or crafted pieces.

If you included damage increase on your jewels, you could also do without stormgrip and have crafted/imbued gloves as well.

In other words, imbuing lets you put the right mod exactly where you need it, and it shouldn't take months to find that elusive last piece any more. To top it all off, since you're a sampire, you could find all of the needed ingredients cheaply and easily. There isn't much down in the depths of the Abyss that will pose any problem to a well played vampire-warrior.
Posted Image

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia
Doesn't the quiver go in to the sash slot? I am pretty sure I have a Mage with a Quiver *AND* a cloak of silence on him simultaneously!!!
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
The cloak of silence is a mis-named robe and goes in the robe slot.
Posted Image

Inspektor

Inspektor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Has anyone tried the Whammy? I think it's similiar to this template except you use Wraith Form instead of Vamp Form? One leeches hit points one leeches mana. If anyone has tried the Whammy .. which one is most effective as in soloing. I have yet to try either of them out. I am just curious. Thanks!

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
The wraith-samurai, aka sammy, has one or two skill differences from the sampire.
1. The anatomy in the template above will be replaced with spirit speak.
2. Maybe the necromancy will be dropped to 40 so the wraith can only cast curse weapon and wraith form.

The advantage is great, since you can double-leech with your form and curse weapon. You can go vampire and use vampire form's leech and curse weapon's leech, or you could go wraith and never worry about mana as well as life.

Another advantage is that you can find weapons a lot more cheaply. Since you leech mana from your form, you can focus your buying power on stamina leech and swing speed increase from your weapons.

The disadvantage is also great, since you can't use a mount. This means no damage-reducing swamp dragon, which will make or break you in the big fights. This also means that you can't run away from some opponents (paragons, ML-named critters), so a bad run of numbers against a paragon balron or Putrefier will get you killed.

For my money, the sampire beats the wraith samurai hands down, just because of the horse-factor.
Posted Image

Timberbee

Timberbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
It seems that I have more to learn than I had imagined. Imbuing is an example of something I know nothing at all about.

Can you speak more about weapon types; maces vs. fencing, vs. swords? I currently only have 105 sword, but I've seen reasonably priced 120 fencing, and very, very low priced, 120 macing Power Scrolls. I used to have a fencing dex monkey, but most of the articles I have read extoll the virtues of swords in PvM, so, I have not returned to fencing, but, I am becoming more and more tempted now that I am capped at 105 and, have spent all my loot buying high end gear.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Swords is the favorite because it has both the hardest hitting melee weapon in the ornate axe as well as the best whirlwind weapon (weapon with whirlwind special) in the radiant scimitar. Also the daisho are gaining in popularity because they're a good weapon with the feint special move, which is valuable when fighting something that hits really hard (Putrefier, Paroxysmus, Bone Demon, etc)

But you can also get all of these specials in other weapon styles as well.
In macing, the diamond mace is the hardest hitting one handed weapon out there.
The war hammer gives the whirlwind special
The tessen, while they don't hit very hard, have the feint special.

In fencing, the kama have the whirlwind, but don't hit very hard.
The leafblade is the best weapon to use for a fencer/sampire, as it hits fairly hard and has the feint special.

The cheapest sampire, by far, is the mace fighter, but finding the right weapon without your own crafter/imbuer can be very difficult and time consuming.

Since fencing is the PvP melee skill of choice, many good fencing items can get a little pricey.

Swords weapons are the most expensive of the PvM weapons, but also the most plentiful. You should have no trouble in finding a sword with mana leech, stamina leech and swing speed increase.
Posted Image

Reiver

Reiver

Preceptor of Silver Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
well the one that immediately springs to mind is the Artifact "Soul Seeker"

a radiant scim (which is damn fast anyway) with 60% SSI and If i recall right 40% SL,ML and 30% LL

Ontop of this its a repond slayer.. making it perfect for most things other than undead... meaning its not so great for Doom

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
My new template:
120 fencing (can use other weapons)
120 bushido
100 necromancy
100 tactics
90 healing
100 anatomy
80 chivalry

710 point skill cap on that account

The key point of this template is the use of a weapon with feint (swords = daisho, fencing = leafblade, mace = tessen) to reduce damage done to you. In that light, I prefer fencing since the leafblade is a one handed weapon (parry doesn't matter) leaving a hand open for potion use.

The feint special is a good substitute for parry, and the healing means you can help out in cross healing in groups as well as hunt alone.

So far, I have killed the Dread Horn with this template and keyed Paroxysmus (but didn't actually do it due to time constraints)

Next addition (this applies to all warrior templates, not just sampire) is to have an imbued weapon with hit area, damage increase and hit mana leech. If you're a fencer, then swing speed increase isn't needed since you're using a kama (low damage, but fast). This is an ideal weapon for thick spawns and doesn't require any relic fragments to make, so it's cheap enough that you can make throw-away weapons (thus no POF), and just enhance them with dull copper ingots. The purpose of this weapon is to clear low level, thick spawns in no time flat. Even the Cavern of Discarded spawns drop faster than you can say "boo."

I learned about this weapon when I watched a guy with a black staff clear the cavern of discarded spawns faster than my warrior with a soul seeker, and he had no slayer property on the black staff.

For extra durability, enhance the weapon with dull copper ingots after you make it.

Since you don't use this weapon for high end combat, hit stamina leech is considered optional. I haven't used it on my test weapons and cleared a lot of low end spawns very quickly.
Posted Image

Big Willy

Big Willy

Undead Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
My Sampire is probably my favorite character. Now I wasn't around for the good ole days, back before they nerfed them, but she is still very reliable when it comes to PvM. Her skills are:

120 swords
120 tactics
120 anatomy
120 bushido
120 resisting spells
99 necromancy
71 chiv

You know what they say, the best defense is a good offense! I had 120 parry, and i just traded my anatomy/resisting spells depending on what I was fighting, but I found that parry is pretty much useless since I never run a shield anyway.
Her DCI, HCI, and LMC are all maxed. Fully suited, she has 125 STR/45 INT/150 DEX. Her Damage Increase is 96 on her suit alone and I run normal weapons as opposed to exceptional because they just waste an imbuing slot. I also managed to squeeze 40 focus on her for the stamina/mana regeneration. She can solo the Dark Father easily. I always use a Radiant Scimitar for chugging Heal Pots (running a 50% EP ecru citrine ring). I run her in a Faction for the armor pieces, and I am able to trade Silver for Faction points. I hope this helps someone out there. Just remember, parry on a Sampire=JUNK!

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Step 1: get soulseeker.
Step 2: Arctic Ogre Lords.
Step 3: Profit!

MegaMongbat

MegaMongbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
*adds underpants to the mix*

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
No, we know step 2 in this case!

Jibeker

Jibeker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So, I see that a lot of people are saying to use 2h weapons for this build.

What is a good 2h swordsmanship weapon? I can't ever seem to find something with both stam / mana leech, and I especially can't find a fast-swinging 2h sword.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Personally, I like a 1h for the freedom to drink potions. 2h does most likely offer more damage, however.

Jibeker

Jibeker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Personally, I like a 1h for the freedom to drink potions. 2h does most likely offer more damage, however.

Yeah, I agree with that a bit.

I use the Soul Seeker right now, is there anything better? And if you were to use a 2h weapon, which would you use?

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
It depends on your suit and your dexterity, what weapon you choose.

As a swordsman, you should have three weapons in your rotation at all times.

First, you need a weapon with a whirlwind special. This is your radiant scimitar, or soul seeker.

Second, you need a weapon with a feint special to reduce your opponents damage for a short time. This weapon is a daisho for swords, and is a two handed weapon.

Third, you need a runeblade or ornate axe. This weapon is your quick killer, and which one you choose depends entirely on whether you have high dex/stamina (then choose the ornate) or lower (then choose the runeblade).

The modifications you're looking for on all of these weapons are swing speed increase, mana leech, stamina leech and either hit lower attack or hit lower defense. The last could be replaced with a slayer property if needed.

Anyhow, potions are nice, but with quick weapon switching, it really doesn't matter if you use a two handed weapon, so long as there's a one handed weapon to switch to when you need it.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic