Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

OOC: The Hanse Davion Mage Challenge! Prizes to be won!

- - - - - challenge davion hanse mage ooc prizes won

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
The Score:

As part of a larger exercise and investigation of certain mechanics I am hereby proclaiming a challenge to any and all members of the community. This challenge goes out to any mage who thinks they will be able to kill a (particular one of my) Hanse Davion, who is using a relatively straight-forward and inexpensive dexer template. To encourage participation from the outside there will be a range of fabulous prizes on offer, set in three tiers to allow rich and poor alike to potentially earn prizes. Each tier has a challenge fee, proceeds from which I will be spent providing newbies / young players in the game with a helping hand getting started. The challenge fee and prizes per tier are as follows;

Tier 1: 50'000 gold entry, 100'000 gold prize
Tier 2: 100'000 gold entry, 200'000 gold prize
Tier 3: 1'000'000 gold entry, 2'000'000 gold prize

There is no difference in the fighting based on tier. It is simply a matter of how philanthropic you feel, and how big of a prize you'd like the chance to earn. Multiple attempts are both welcomed and encouraged to round up more money for helping newbies in Haven.

The Challenge:

The challenge is relatively simple. We will fight as normal, allowed to use all the tools available to any roleplayer - the challenger need only kill the Hanse Davion character in under 10 minutes time. If Hanse survives the 10 minutes, the challenger loses. If Hanse kills you during the challenge, again you lose. The challenge will take place in an arena / area of reasonable size, the kind found in the Vesper Ironman or Trinsic fight-night tournaments.

You, the challenging mage, are free to use the template, equipment, consumables and tactics that are available to you within the standard rules of engagement. I, in turn will be doing the same. The only exception to this is tamer mages as trained pets with a bit of luck are capable of winning a fight vs 5x120 dexers on their own in an enclosed space while the tamer can just pick his nose and watch. Other forms of mage such as necro-mages, poison mages, ninjitsu mages, tank mages, alchemy mages, mystic mages, stack mages, hybrids and so forth are welcome to take their shots.

• A balanced suit of armour
  • An assortment of swordsmanship weaponry
  • Enhanced Bandages
  • A variety of potions allowed by RoE
  • Orange petals and Enchanted Apples
  • Chivalry

Posted Image

I will not however be using other newer things such as mana draughts, trinsic petals, bushido skills, spellweaving, mysticism or the (appropriately) banned, balance-breaking bugged trap boxes as Felucca scripters and such do.

How to Challenge:

Just ICQ me at 325-452-832 to arrange a challenge, and don't forget to bring the money with you in individual checks. These are simple OOC challenges which are arranged and held at a simple arena location. A series of tests if you will, which will be useful to harness results on warrior and mage performance.

Results:

Results will be posted in this, the main thread - including information on how much has been gathered for the [HLP] guild, and how attempts in which people have won or lost the challenge.

Current Statistics:

Won: 0
Lost: 43
Newbie Fund: +5,320,000gp

Special thanks to:

The Vesparian research team thanks all challengers for your participation, and for donating to the various guilds, who do fabulous work helping to ease young and returning players in Haven back into the game - the same players who often join our guilds and make us a stronger community. This challenge will run until we have collected enough results for our purposes, and the money will hopefully be donated at regular intervals to a member of the Haven Helpers or other such newbie-assisting guilds.

FAQ:

1) Isn't this test is pointless? Mages are more effective in groups than duels.
A) Yes, but the mechanics are similar in surviving in both. Mages in group warfare (as no RP guild to my knowledge uses VoIP comms) rely on mechanics such as paralysis which clearly mark out a target for other mages to sync on. Moreover many templates depend on the ability to keep you frozen / controlled in order to to win. A common misconception is that mages are more powerful than warriors because of this. This is mostly a demonstration that this is patently untrue as the Magic Resist skill completely nullifies this form of targetting, reducing mages to random pot-shotting in many cases. Special challenges involving teams of mages against a team of my warriors can be arranged if necessary to illustrate this.

2) Where does the money go?
A) It goes to the newbies and young folk of UO. Most of the money goes to places like the HLP guild run by Paidric which does good work in Haven. Other times it goes to groups like RAA who are equally prone to handing out help for young players.

3) You stole my cupcake!
A) Yes, and it was good.

Hanse Davion [-V-], Haleorn [DDi], Angfan [Clw]

1998 - 2010

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
Challenger: Balgus Bloodmoor
Template: Poison-Tamer-Mage
Tier: 3
Outcome: Defeated

Posted Image
Posted Image

1998 - 2010

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
Challenger: Maeglin Szaor
Template: Necro-Mage
Tier: One
Outcome: Stalemate

Posted Image

1998 - 2010

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
Challenger: Thomas Aylmer
Template: Pure Mage
Tier: Three

Posted Image

1998 - 2010

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
Challenger: Cor'vani
Template: Pure Mage
Tier: Three

Posted Image

1998 - 2010

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
Challenger: Liriel
Template: Spellweaving Mage
Tier: 3 (special thanks for a massive donation of 1'000'000 gold)

Posted Image

1998 - 2010

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
Dont make me come there and bite your ankles mate... ;) Dont want to kill you and steal your gold either... so ill pass this time ;)

Posted Image

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
Come and get some if you think your 'ard enough Gnomeh. Also ICQ me 325452832 if you really do consider it - Vesper is hopping right now and we could use our old boyos back on the beat. But really, aint my gold, prizes were generously stumped up by Escaflowne and the proceeds are planned to go to Paidric and the HLP guild who help usher newbies in Haven into our gem of a game :)

Also, this challenge will be open until enough results have been gathered for us to draw some sound conclusions.

1998 - 2010

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

The voice of common sense.

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
Oh look, a "mages aren't OP honest" propaganda thread. =D

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
It was stated that the situation is obviously different in groups, so there's no need to be a douche. Or perhaps interested in the challenge? Your welcome to participate, put your donation to HLP where your mouth is and dazzle all by winning the challenge.

1998 - 2010

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
I don't play a mage, I like the game to be a challenge. ;)

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
I prefer needing strategy, tactics, teamwork and a challenge rather than just rolling the dice and praying myself. A matter of perspective.

1998 - 2010

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
You're right, to be fair, it does take a tactical genius to paralyze and flamestrike an opponent.

:D

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Gerek Darkheart

Gerek Darkheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Oh look, a "mages aren't OP honest" propaganda thread. =D

In closed areas against a fighter/chivarly, mage's are not really over powered. I do fairly well against them in duels as well.
Posted Image

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
The beauty of this challenge should be rather obvious to anyone who knows what they're talking about - it is in fact impossible for a mage to actually "win" 1v1 against a warrior who knows what he's doing. The mage might survive for a long time, or maybe even survive the entire challenge, but will most likely die during the 10 minute timer. For a mage to win this challenge, I would have to actually go AFK and let them kill me or make a mistake so catastrophic as to be on par with going AFK for a few minutes mid-fight. I have yet to fight Alyona Karalova from DOT - currently what I believe to be one of the best mages in our community, however. Her challenge will be coming soon, apparently :)

The only way in which this Hanse Davion is engineered toward fighting mages is in having Magic Resistance. Otherwise he has a relatively standard template, a near-perfectly balanced suit of armour, and the implements available to any other warrior like him.

More challengers welcome.

1998 - 2010

Gerek Darkheart

Gerek Darkheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Alyona Karalova from DOT - currently what I believe to be one of the best mages in our community, however. Her challenge will be coming soon, apparently

I would like to second that, having already fought her once. Without success.
Posted Image

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
Challenger: Alyona Karalova
Template: Spirit-Poison-Mage
Tier: 2 (10 rounds)
Outcome: Defeated 8 times, Stalemate 2 times

Posted Image

Edit: Thanks for 10 rounds, Alyona. Much appreciated.
Edit 2: Mispelled your name, sorry :P

1998 - 2010

Park Su-mi

Park Su-mi

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
lmao. Not even slightly provocative.

Posted Image
Don't swear, kids!

Jhonas Adraldor

Jhonas Adraldor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
A warrior with chivalry,bandages and potions(and resist), (as ive previously stated) can outheal any mages damage output.
A mage who fights a lone standard warrior can outheal him without too much fuzz. What I believe Hanse is trying to tell people with this is: Magic Resist* skill should not be picked off a template.

*Magic Resist skill make certain mage tactics difficult or useless.

Correct me if Im wrong:)

Gerek Darkheart

Gerek Darkheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I don't have it, I do fine against mages...
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: challenge, davion, hanse, mage, ooc, prizes, won